Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nirvin91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
Fleetwood
Hello.

I got my iPhone 4 in the UK on release date and my local o2 shop.
Was very happy with it, until I recorded Video.

Why is my iPhone 4 so quiet in recording the audio within the video?

I played a song on my iMac on full volume, recorded a video with my iPhone 4 right next to it, and I can only hear the song faintly.

Is there a defect with my phone, and do you think o2 will replace it ?

I would appreciate it if anyone could help me with this issue.
Thanks.

Vertigo50

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
Make sure you're not covering up the microphone while recording. If you look at the bottom of the phone, the two things that look like speakers. The right one is the speaker, the left is the microphone.

I would guess you are covering it when recording video, or pointing it in such a way it is away from the audio source.

nirvin91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
Fleetwood
Make sure you're not covering up the microphone while recording. If you look at the bottom of the phone, the two things that look like speakers. The right one is the speaker, the left is the microphone.

I would guess you are covering it when recording video, or pointing it in such a way it is away from the audio source.

I'm not covering anything. The only time sound is clear, is if I have the headphones in with the microphone on them.

:/

Vertigo50

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
Okay. Just figured I would point out the easy solution first, just in case.

vizkiz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Long Island, NY
Similar problem here. I think it's due to the noise canceling mic on the top of the phone, and the way you hold it. When you're holding it, you normally have your hands at either end of the phone, essentially cupping all sound into both mics. The phone thinks that all that sound is background noise (because it's going into both mics) and removes it. Quite annoying.

Edit: Just took some test videos and noticed something odd. Covering up the top (noise canceling) mic results in quiet and noisy audio, but covering up the bottom mic results in no change in audio. It appears the phone uses the top mic to record audio during video capture. I think this may be because Apple assumed people's hands would be covering the bottom mic when they were starting/stopping the video.

llpancholl

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2010
I am having the same issue, I have determined that when recoding video the iphone 4 records from both the bottom mic and the top (noise cancelling mic). I have tested this on another iPhone4.

My phone only records from the noise cancelling mic, giving it a hollow faint sound when played back.

This effects FaceTime as well.

The bottom mic doesnt work for face time or video recording, but it does work for phone calls and voice memos.. very odd

paying a visit to the apple store tomorrow

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.