Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

losmeme

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2004
Anybody else have experience with this card in a Beige G3 running OS 9.2.2? Mine was DOA, but I really feel it's the drivers causing the problems. Desktop shows up OK, but there is no mouse functionality. Trash all ATI extensions, the card functions but without the advanced features.

A friend of mine has one also, running 10.3 on a G4 MDD. His supplied OSX drivers function OK, but there seems to be an issue with display artifacts.

Called ATI twice so far, but got the "non-response" response both times.

The manual (which I had to download from ATI website) also says under system requirements: "Mac OSX 10.2.8 and 10.3.3 or higher." Wasn't the whole point of this card to support legacy systems such as a G3 running OS9?

Unless ATI is forthcoming with some answers concerning this cards use in a Beige G3 running OS 9, I couldn't recommend it to anyone with that platform.

My system is a Beige G3 MiniTower, 333MHz, 768MB ram and a completely fresh install of OS 9.2.2

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
I believe the purpose of the card was actually to get a faster PCI card out for OSX on systems without AGP.

FoxyKaye

macrumors 68000
7on said:
I believe the purpose of the card was actually to get a faster PCI card out for OSX on systems without AGP.

I think you're right, 7on. It seems to be only $10-20 more then the retail Radeon 7000.

Although, since more and more programs and games seem to be requiring AGP or better, at this point I wonder how much utility one would get from upgrading? Certainly everything would be faster, but I don't think you could even run many games from a couple years ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.