Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphonesrq

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2007
Tampa
Do I have to use iTunes to set up new iPhone 4G or can I just put the SIM card from my iPhone 3G?

thank you

nikhsub1

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2007
mmmm... jessica.'s beer...
Do I have to use iTunes to set up new iPhone 4G or can I just put the SIM card from my iPhone 3G?

thank you
No. The iphone 4 uses a micro sim so the sim from the older iphones won't work. There should be a sim in the new phone for you ready to go though... the old sim will self destruct upon activating the new one :D

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
Use iTunes to activate the i4. The SIM from your 3G won't work in it because it's not a micro-sim.

dimab

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2009
as everyone else said, diff. SIMs. but - you can call 611 from your old phone, and it should prompt you to activate your new device. Follow the prompt and new phone will be activated with new SIM. Very easy and takes 15 seconds.

PantherJeep

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
Oceanside, CA
I believe it is possible to cut your current SIM into microSIM size to use.

It is, but what a pain in the butt. If you don't have a microSIM on-hand to use as a guide/template, I've gotta think the chances of getting it right without destroying the SIM being modified are probably pretty slim.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.