Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mrbill317

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2007
have a G5 Power Mac (Dual 2ghz). and it will not power on. I plug in the cord and here a power click.
I depress power button and light comes on for a sec and goes out. Front fans do a quick partial spin and thats it.

Is that a bad power supply? This isnt easy to get out and can be expensive right?

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
have a G5 Power Mac (Dual 2ghz). and it will not power on. I plug in the cord and here a power click.
I depress power button and light comes on for a sec and goes out. Front fans do a quick partial spin and thats it.

Is that a bad power supply? This isnt easy to get out and can be expensive right?

i just acquired the same model powermac and i have the same issue... i would also like help, although im afraid that both of us are suffering from a failed logic board.. :( :eek:

Mrbill317

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2007
Shouldnt be the case

My unit was fully functional before placing in my bedroom closet (I have a Mac Pro now). It wasnt connected to anything in there , how in the blazes did it blow the logic board.
Unit wasnt even used much before

toolbox

macrumors 68020
Oct 6, 2007
Australia (WA)
Doubt it will be the motherboard, I have just had a Power mac in at the office. with the same problem. I dismantled and checked the power supply no signs of bulging capacitors or any internal damage with the power supply.

I have a college that has a working powermac i grabbed his psu out of his and put it in the customers and it fired up straight a way.

if your game enough, strip it down, you will need to remove both cpu's the front fans / back fans ( make sure u label the cpus according to there position top / bottom) remove the 4 screws under the case psu should come up, may need some force to get it out so be careful.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
I have a good 600w PSU laying around that you can use to test yours if you think you can change it yourself. If you're near Cleveland, I'd do it for free for you. I also have service manual if you need it.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
RAM you can for sure exclude of your "suspicions list".
It looks like PSU (from described symptoms), I bet on its capacitors. If unit was unused for a long time, they could simply dry-out. It happens sometimes, especially with "not best quality" capacitors.

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
Sounds exactly like what happened with the 1.6GHz Powermac G5 I had a couple years ago. I made this YouTube video showing the problem. Watch it, and see if your problem is the same. I replaced my PSU and it didn't fix the problem. To this day I'm not totally sure what was wrong with it, but I am almost 100% sure it was the logicboard.

jhnhth

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010
battery?

If it was unplugged for a while, it may be the battery - it's a 3.6 volt Lithium battery.

Mine was like that (same model, same problem), didn't get a chime or anything until I replaced the battery. (full disclosure, my machine is still not working, but at least it chimes before it hangs on startup)

cat3rn

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2010
Could you send me the service manual

I have a good 600w PSU laying around that you can use to test yours if you think you can change it yourself. If you're near Cleveland, I'd do it for free for you. I also have service manual if you need it.

If it is in PDF that would be great if not where could I get a copy?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.