Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beaverman3001

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2010
This new mini that just released, is my first ever Mac. I have been a life long Windows user, but I figured I'd give some perspective on the new Mini for those who still aren't sure about pulling the trigger.

When I bought it I wasn't expecting great performance, knowing Apple's hardware choices verse custom built machines. I was pleasantly surprised to find the 320m gpu can run WoW, on Ultra (1920x1080 wide screen resolution), in crowded areas just fine. The only caveat being Dalaran so far, but that is expected. I was anticipating only being able to run the game in low/medium settings. I've even been able to use the built in recording feature for the Mac WoW client on ultra with no lag what so ever.

As for performance of load times and video editing, the stock HD is the weak link for sure. If you are going to buy a new one, I'd greatly recommend getting another HD to exchange out. The stock one is bearable for everyday tasks but if you consider yourself any type of "power user", get a Momentus XT or SSD. Although I'd have to question a true power user buying a Mini in the first place.

While this is a little off topic of the Mini itself, I must say I love the UI and implementation of time machine compared to any other backup programs I've used.

I know there isn't a huge point to this post, but I do plan on testing out Steam games this week/weekend and trying to get some average fps listings for TF2, HL2, Portals, and WoW as I have seen numerous posts asking for this information. If anyone without a Mini wants to test something more specific, let me know and I'll do what I can.

bluedevils

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2007
If you were a power user, you would get the mini server with the 7200rpm drives vs the 5400rpm drives in the basic mini.

Tressley

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2010
The addition of the NVIDIA GeForce 320M and the HDMI port were the two biggest updates for me.

I'm pretty sure that Steam requires NVIDIA 320M and above. Just in time!

Beaverman3001

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Here are some FPS listings for WoW, steam is a work in progress as I just installed the client.

This is with playing WoW on OS X (10.6.3), Ultra settings, at 1920x1080 wide screen resolution. This is also on the US Blackrock server, which is one of the oldest/highest populated servers. I doubt you'll find a server with more average characters online.

Orgrimmar: 16-22 FPS (Middle of Orgrimmar, near AH/BANK, the rest of Orgrimmar is 30+ FPS)
Dalaran: 12-22 FPS (Depends if you are near a bank or not, The Underbelly is 23-30 FPS)
Isle of Conquest: 15-30 FPS (15 was only in starting area, 20-30 during the match)

Most of these numbers seem low, but anything above 13-14 FPS felt completely lag free for me. Unfortunatly, I am using a LCDTV for a monitor, and it caps itself out at 30 FPS, so for less intensive zones I cannot provide a accurate max FPS.

In Isle of Conquest I felt no lag during fights at all, and tried to stay near big battles as much as possible. This was on a Moonkin so you know there were always plenty of spell effects going off during combat.

I don't raid so I cannot provide numbers for that, but all of the 5 mans I've ran on my Mage that I am leveling have felt perfectly smooth, even with mass AOE going on (living bomb and seed of corruption spam).

You could definitely turn down a setting or two and seem far greater FPS numbers, as I know some people are FPS whores. Personally if it is above 15 FPS and feels smooth I'm fine, but that is all personal preference. I did however notice that by using a Nostromo GamePad (n52te) over USB, I am losing 6-8 FPS. Unfortunately it isn't a option to not use it for me, so these numbers I posted are with me losing FPS from the game pad. If you are someone who isn't dependent on USB devices for gaming (Nostromo, headset, etc) you will get even better FPS.

BlindSoul

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2010
Israel
Can you try using Can You Run It and run a few popular games and let us know if your Mac Mini could run them? Thanks :)

Nabby

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
Thanks for the thread :) I'm feeling way better now with my buying. Getting it on the 14th July , Can't wait!
+1 for me as well, mine arrives on the 12th. However, this is going to be my media center machine.

Nabby

Beaverman3001

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Can you try using Can You Run It and run a few popular games and let us know if your Mac Mini could run them? Thanks :)

Unfortunately Can You Run It is Windows only as far as I can tell. I haven't installed Windows 7 yet, but will mostly likely do that this weekend sometime. If and when I do I'll get back to you with the results.

mrfoof82

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2010
Lawton, OK
No, Steam certainly runs on older hardware. I have a friend with an old MBP 15 with a Radeon X1800 XT which is only about 40% of the power of a 320M at best, and it runs Team Fortress 2 et al with the settings cranked down.

The Mac Mini's performance is roughly on par with a 2-year old desktop PC with something between an nVidia 7900GS and a Radeon HD 2600 Pro.

So things to expect (Windows)...

Assassin's Creed, 1280x1024, 0xAA, Trilinear filtering, Max Quality - 20 to 24fps
Call of Duty 4, 1280x1024, 0xAA, Trilinear filtering, Max Quality - 28 to 36fps
Crysis, 1280x1024, 0xAA, Trilinear filtering, High Quality, - 6 to 9 fps
Half Life 2: Ep 2, 1280x1024, 0xAA, Trilinear filtering, Very High Quality - 40 to 50fps
Quake Wars, 1280x1024, 0xAA, Trilinear filtering, High Quality - 35 to 40fps

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Thanks for the thread. I'm sure you will be very happy with your Mini but this confirms that I would want the server Mac Mini with its dual 500 GB 7200 RPM HDDs. The Mini sure is beautiful hardware isn't it?

BlindSoul

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2010
Israel
I don't really understand the fps thing. When does it mean it'll work well?
And by the way, The 7200RPS thing. Is it of the Hard Disk or the CD-Rom? Is it the speed of the CD-Rom reading the disc or what? Can someone explain me more about it?

Thank you! :)

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
I have had a new Mini now for a week and am very impressed and very happy with it, hooking it to a hdtv just makes it a iMac killer in my view. 2.4 imac is now the wife's and the 2.4 Mini is mine connected to a 32 hdtv I found in the trash. Just terrific in my view. Mini gets 9 out of 10 stars and i rate it awesome! Seems to be such a better choice then a all in one for me and the hdtv has no yellowing:D

bry223

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2004
Wow my post didnt get posted , anywho, I'm suprised to see how well WoW runs on the new mac mini, I'm sure you'll get a huge performance boost just lowering the shadow quality, its a FPS killer in that game

Beaverman3001

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Wow my post didnt get posted , anywho, I'm suprised to see how well WoW runs on the new mac mini, I'm sure you'll get a huge performance boost just lowering the shadow quality, its a FPS killer in that game

For sure, you can knock some things down slightly and be good to go in any zone.

Nuttydev

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2009
Bristol, England.
No, Steam certainly runs on older hardware. I have a friend with an old MBP 15 with a Radeon X1800 XT which is only about 40% of the power of a 320M at best, and it runs Team Fortress 2 et al with the settings cranked down.

Hmm interesting, I have an old release 15" MBP with a 128mb X1600 and I am able to run CS:S and HL2 on max graphics, on 2048x1152 resolution (through windows though, resolution has to be lowered on OSX) at around 35/40fps.

I'd be interested to see how the mini plays games though, as my choice is to either get a mini or build a PC and I'd love to play some games I haven't been able to but I prefer OSX over windows for the things I do, so I'm willing to compromise playing high end games for usability, as I have a 360 and PS3 anyway. But yeah would be interesting to see how they run in windows.

Beaverman3001

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Installed TF2, so far everything on Medium settings seems perfectly fine at 1920x1080 widescreen resolution. I don't have any FPS numbers right now but I'll try and get some real information this weekend.

To be honest I hate TF2 so it is painful to play but I'm sure I'll get around to trying it out more.

PerfSeeker

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
It's just a shame Apple won't provide higher-end Minis for the rest of us who don't want the all-in-one PC.

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
And by the way, The 7200RPS thing. Is it of the Hard Disk or the CD-Rom? Is it the speed of the CD-Rom reading the disc or what? Can someone explain me more about it?

It's the spin-rate of the platter(s) in the hard disk.

Faster = higher throughput and lower latency, in theory.

An SSD, of course, has nothing spinning. Faasssst. But ouchy in the pocketbook for the moment.

It's just a shame Apple won't provide higher-end Minis for the rest of us who don't want the all-in-one PC.

i agree i just purchased the core i7 imac, im not disappointed but id certainly would loved to had gotten the new mini with a screen off my choice, i love the mini she looks great but id happily take a larger form factor for a more powerful machine

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.