Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flipangle

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2010
Been hearing great things about Otterbox. Never had one of their cases before. What the difference between these two Otterbox series? And is the defender a lot bulkier? I want good protection for my new iPhone 4 but don't want to carry a brick. I currently use a Speck PixelSkin for my 3G. It's pretty darn thick. Anything thicker would be a deal breaker for me.

Opie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2008
I have had all three for my 3gs and the defender is definitely a brick. I purchased the impact and it was ok but Hard to get in and out of pocket because it is all silicone. The commuter was my favorite and it got used the most. Otterbox has pictures of what the new three cases will look like.http://www.otterbox.com/iphone-cases/iphone-4-cases/ I recommend the commuter.

OverSpun

macrumors 65816
Sep 12, 2006
California
I have the same problem deciding between Impact and commuter. I just dont want commuter to be too thick. I really need to see pictures of it laying next to the phone and vs. with the bumper too. That should help a lot. I def dont need def. case. Looks way too beastly. Hmm.

I only bought the bumper as a temporary case until a good one starts selling.

flipangle

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2010
I have the same problem deciding between Impact and commuter. I just dont want commuter to be too thick. I really need to see pictures of it laying next to the phone and vs. with the bumper too. That should help a lot. I def dont need def. case. Looks way too beastly. Hmm.

I only bought the bumper as a temporary case until a good one starts selling.

I agree. I can't get a sense of the relative thickness between the commuter and the impact based on the pics on the website.

flipangle

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2010
I have had all three for my 3gs and the defender is definitely a brick. I purchased the impact and it was ok but Hard to get in and out of pocket because it is all silicone. The commuter was my favorite and it got used the most. Otterbox has pictures of what the new three cases will look like.http://www.otterbox.com/iphone-cases/iphone-4-cases/ I recommend the commuter.

Thanks for your comments. Definitely helpful.

makefunnyfaces

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2010
West Virginia
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

I've never owned an Otterbox, but a friend of mine had the Impact, & it ripped in several places after only a few weeks. Not sure if that's typical for it.

As for me, I'm not a silicone case fan AT ALL, so I will probably go with the Defender or Commuter. I'm pretty much always sliding my phone in/out of my pocket, & silicone makes that hard to do.

Another case that offered me GREAT drop protection with my 3G & 3GS was the Switcheasy CapsuleRebel. They haven't released it for the 4 yet, but I really suggest it. I dropped my old phones on concrete, hardwood, & tile SO many times, but didn't even get so much as a scratch on either phone.

CT1stMaxedOut09

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2010
Connecticut
I had the OtterBox Commuter case on my iPhone 3Gs and I loved it. A few reasons why I like the OtterBox cases is because 1.) Durability, reliability, and craftsmanship and 2.) Their cases also incorporate port covers for both the headphone and dock connector ports which is awsome for those rainy days ;)

flipangle

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

I've never owned an Otterbox, but a friend of mine had the Impact, & it ripped in several places after only a few weeks. Not sure if that's typical for it.

As for me, I'm not a silicone case fan AT ALL, so I will probably go with the Defender or Commuter. I'm pretty much always sliding my phone in/out of my pocket, & silicone makes that hard to do.

I'm confused. Aren't the Defender and Commuter also silicone?

makefunnyfaces

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2010
West Virginia
I'm confused. Aren't the Defender and Commuter also silicone?

I checked the website & only saw the Impact's description as being silicone, but I could have overlooked it. :confused:

Edit: DOH, I guess they are. Just watched an unboxing on YouTube of a Commuter for the 3GS that has a plastic back (over the silicone), & a Defender that has an outer layer of silicone. Sorry about that. This changes everything for my decision making process, haha. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ov2sNzx7jHY

OverSpun

macrumors 65816
Sep 12, 2006
California
I checked the website & only saw the Impact's description as being silicone, but I could have overlooked it. :confused:

Edit: DOH, I guess they are. Just watched an unboxing on YouTube of a Commuter for the 3GS that has a plastic back (over the silicone), & a Defender that has an outer layer of silicone. Sorry about that. This changes everything for my decision making process, haha. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ov2sNzx7jHY

That helped me. Commuter is my choice. I hope it's ready soon.

mhdena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2009
Is the defender the only one that includes a holster? I want a holster as I don't keep my phone in my pocket.

jkirton2

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2010
Is the defender the only one that includes a holster? I want a holster as I don't keep my phone in my pocket.

All of our SmartPhone Defender cases come with belt clip/holster included. There are also several smartphone cases that offer an optional ballistic nylon holster if the customer prefers a belt holster as opposed to a beltclip. There are also belt clip/holsters are for sale on our website if you choose to purchase extra. Some devices that might not come with the belt clip/holster included with the purchase of the case can be purchased as a separate optional accessory, if available. Cases that have one of the nylon holsters available for sale, but not included, are: 1930, 1931, 1920, 1921, and the HP cases 1910 and 1911.

jkirton2

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2010

I've had an OtterBox Defender for my iPhone 3G for the past year. I've used the holster for a while, but found that I kept knocking the phone outta the holster everytime I sat in my armed office chair! I keep my iPhone in my pants/slacks pocket and, while it is difficult to get in and out, at least I know that it's NOT going to accidentally fall out of my pocket!

crashnburn

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2009
People - Your experiences with the iPhone 4 versions of these various Otterbox cases? Defender / Commuter / Etc

Littlenet

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2011
I have the defender and I love it. I have dropped my phone a zillion times with no problems. Once in a puddle of water and the water didn't touch my phone.

LaCosta

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2011
How well do stick on screen protectors like Zagg do in these Otterboxes? Do the edges come up or flare up from contact with the case?

psyduckiee

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2008
How well do stick on screen protectors like Zagg do in these Otterboxes? Do the edges come up or flare up from contact with the case?
Works fine with both the Commuter and Impact. Is not compatible with the Defender.

Maziar

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2010
I have the commuter and i like it. The only problem with it is that i found the edges a bit sharp(it annoys me a bit while talking) but aside from that,I'm haooy with it :)

jonofthedead

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2010
I just got the commuter in after using the Apple bumper for a month or two. I will never go back. Best case I've ever had by far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.