Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

monkey3200

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
I was installing, or try to install a bestskinsever on my new iPhone. I've never done this before so maybe I went a little overboard with the water.

After I finished installing I put it to the side, and somehow it turned it self on.

While it was booting up the black on the top looked a little lighter, and on the bottom it looks like water had seeped in.

Does this go away? I'm pretty freaked out

edit: it continues to turn itself on

frozencarbonite

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2006
I was installing, or try to install a bestskinsever on my new iPhone. I've never done this before so maybe I went a little overboard with the water.

After I finished installing I put it to the side, and somehow it turned it self on.

While it was booting up the black on the top looked a little lighter, and on the bottom it looks like water had seeped in.

I'm sorry to hear that. How is it now? If you are still having problems, try putting it in a bag of rice to help get rid of the moisture.

coelacanth

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2004
I'm sorry to hear that. How is it now? If you are still having problems, try putting it in a bag of rice to help get rid of the moisture.

Yes, try that first. If ever possible, don't use the phone for 2-3 days during that rice-drying process. Turn it off (not sleeping) and leave it alone in the bed of rice.

frozencarbonite

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2006

Just curious, how did you apply the solution. I know that BSE doesn't come with solution like other skins. Did you create your own solution and dip the skin in it or did you mix the solution in a spray bottle?

monkey3200

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
I left it in a bag overnight, but it didn't help much. I left it turned on since it just kept turning itself on, but the weird crackling water noises have stopped.

And I made my own solution, I used some water and soap. It was too slippery for me when i had it set so i couldn't squegee. So i resorted to just using water.

Hellishness

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2010
Bay Area, CA
Did you trip the water sensors? If so, that sucks, you can try to 'fix' them or you can be honest and you're out $199 for Apple to replace it out of warranty.

monkey3200

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Did you trip the water sensors? If so, that sucks, you can try to 'fix' them or you can be honest and you're out $199 for Apple to replace it out of warranty.

It doesn't seem like I tripped the sensors. They don't seem as visible as the ones on the 3GS.

I booked an appointment for the apple store on Sunday. So, I'll update you guys on how that went.

frozencarbonite

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2006
I left it in a bag overnight, but it didn't help much. I left it turned on since it just kept turning itself on, but the weird crackling water noises have stopped.

And I made my own solution, I used some water and soap. It was too slippery for me when i had it set so i couldn't squegee. So i resorted to just using water.

Yeah it sounds like you may have used to much water. I don't know for sure though.

Try a hair dryer and see if you can get that moisture out from under the screen. Also you could try a Bheestie Bag. I've never used one, but heard they work. It's a thought.

I really hope you get this fixed and it doesn't cost you anything. Keep us updated. Take care.

monkey3200

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
I was tired of leaving it in rice overnight, so I just left it in my room after I blow dried it.

It got better, now instead of being water all around the edges, It's just a splotch in the middle of the screen, still bugs me to death, but it's not as bad as before.

absolut333

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2010
it is probably just water trapped inbetween the screen protector and the screen.. not underneath the screen itself. It should dry and you should be fine.

monkey3200

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Can you post photos?

Well, I wish I could. Now the issue has seemed to disappear. I had it infront of a blowdryer for half an hour and all but a few drops are left. I assume these will find there way out too.

I just hope that the heat won't cause any issues with the components inside, does anyone know?

spyda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2009
Damn son, how'd you manage to do that? You went ape **** with the water eh? That's why I only use dry applications, but hopefully you work things out somehow.

monkey3200

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Damn son, how'd you manage to do that? You went ape **** with the water eh? That's why I only use dry applications, but hopefully you work things out somehow.

Yea, I pretty much did lol. I'll be sure to do it more carefully next time around, and it'll only be the back until I feel comfortable.

Yea, and all but a couple drops have gone away, those should disappear aswell, I hope.

RC83

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
Bay Area, CA
did your phone clear up? I am in the same situation.. BSE front protector.. I used minimal solution, now have water seepage in the screen!

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2007
The water will dry the only problem is it will most likely leave a small water stain behind.

thaddeusbear

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2010
Hi, newbie hear but I've been an Apple fan since Gil Amelio.

Two years ago wife and I got 3Gs. I sold my wife's 1st gen and gave the other to my kids to use as an "itouch."

The phone held up well. It was dropped countless times: second floor of our home; concrete; gravel at Muir Woods; missed catches.... Several months ago the kid got it soaking wet.

Water in the phone. Left a water stain under the screen but that dried out. In it's place a bunch of dead pixels.

I did the rice, blow dryer and even left it on the window sill for it to dry out.

It still works very well, but it will not turn off the "normal" way. It fully stops functioning when the battery's drained.

Good luck trying to fix it. I was not able to fix mine. It's always on.

Attachments

• brk.JPG
    brk.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 444

ilovegoodnugz

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
FYI if you ever have any NON related problems with your phone and you take it to apple, they will AUTOMATICALLY blame water damage and will not replace or fix it, whether it has anything to do with water damage or not. LOL hope you like your phone the way it is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.