Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tokiidokii

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2008
hi,

not sure if anyone else has this problem but i pretty much just found this out. apparently people can't hear me when i'm using the phone but once i enable the speakerphone, they can hear me fine.

my sister told me it sounds like i'm talking from a distance. at first i didn't believe her so i call my other sister and she kept asking me to speak up. i turn on speaker phone and she said she can hear me then i told her i was going to turn off the speaker and when i started talking to her, she said she could barely hear me.

i tested this out myself and sadly i confirmed it. i used my landline to call my cell then i put the landline on mute. when i spoke through my cell phone, i can barely hear myself on my landline phone.

this was my second phone exchange and i'm hoping i can replace it. i set up apple to call me back in the morning... i really hope 3rd time's a charm :(

Vertigo50

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
Just to eliminate the obvious, are you sure you're not covering up the mic? It's the small grill at the bottom left. Also, do you have a case or other obstruction that might be covering it?

tokiidokii

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2008
Just to eliminate the obvious, are you sure you're not covering up the mic? It's the small grill at the bottom left. Also, do you have a case or other obstruction that might be covering it?

no, i'm not covering anything up. this is actually my second iphone 4. the first one i got on launch day and it had the yellow blotches (but no issue with the microphone at all). i waited a week but the blotches never left so i exchanged it. this new phone is perfect except the whole mic issue.

i do have a bumper and i tried all my test with and without and they were all the same. i even held the mic directly in front of my mouth and i still got the same result. when i turn on speaker phone, everything sounds fine.

i've restored my phone twice but that didn't help. hopefully when i speak to the apple person in the morning, i will get a replacement in the apple store nearby. the only reason it took me this long to figure out there was a problem was because i started using my bt with this phone and i also used the speakerphone a lot.

mchahalholden

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2010
Same problem

I am having exactly the same problem. Tried updating/restoring setting up the phone as new not using a backup and still have the issue.

Now waiting to get Vodafone to swap the handset.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.