Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iamrawr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 16, 2010
New Jersey
So honestly I'm pretty much gonna use the windows partition for gaming and for using programs that are exclusive to windows. Would it be worth paying for antivirus software or just install a free version? What software do you use? Is it free and effective? Thanks. :)
And if I do get a virus (without using any antivirus software) would restoring the partition eliminate the problem?

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
For XP i use symmatec antivirus corporate edition and for vista/7 I use mcafee enterprise. Both work great and don't slow down windows much.

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
I don't bother using any. I don't install anything other than the games I play, so there's not much of a chance I'll get anything nefarious on my bootcamp partition.

Hankcah

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2010
really?

this is like, which crack addict should I bone after I put herpes medicine all over myself. Sorry I had to

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
You might want to install an antivirus, even if it's not kept up to date, it's better than nothing. If your firewall ever gets disabled (by a game for example), you can quickly get a boot sector virus just by being plugged in to the internet. Granted, these things are nearly gone after service pack 1, but these could easily infect a computer without any user interaction. If the boot is messed up, you might not be able to boot into mac even!

If anyone else knows more about this, or can correct me, please add to this.

Thanks.

I don't bother using any. I don't install anything other than the games I play, so there's not much of a chance I'll get anything nefarious on my bootcamp partition.

kioshi

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2010
Brazil
I use MSSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) on my Windows 7 partition. It's working well so far. :)

MSSE and Avira Antivir are constantly in first and second places in PC sites' evaluations of free antivirus programs, so I recommend one of these.

I use ESET Smart Security but it's paid.

PatrickCocoa

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2008
None

No anti-virus on my Boot Camp (Windows XP). Haven't had any anti-virus since I created by Boot Camp partition probably about four years ago now.

kioshi

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2010
Brazil
By the way another good idea (I even do this on Mac OS) is to install the WOT add on at mywot.com (there are versions for all browsers except Opera iirc, Safari version was released after 5 came out). It warns you against fraudulent websites.

skate71290

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
UK
Anti-Viruses are a waste of space/time/resources

why mess up your awesome Mac with pointless anti-viruses that are easily hacked, resulting in a cat and mouse game, as both parties try to keep on top of the game.... run CCleaner and FCleaner in Safe Mode, much more effective, and as a side bonus, increases the speed of Windows a considerable amount if done infrequently

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
A pc without antivirus is far easier to hack than one with antivirus. It's not a cat and mouse game. Once you run an antivirus, you don't get infected.

CCleaner and Fcleaner does nothing to stop viruses and hardly makes computers faster than using disk cleanup.

why mess up your awesome Mac with pointless anti-viruses that are easily hacked, resulting in a cat and mouse game, as both parties try to keep on top of the game.... run CCleaner and FCleaner in Safe Mode, much more effective, and as a side bonus, increases the speed of Windows a considerable amount if done infrequently

skate71290

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
UK
A pc without antivirus is far easier to hack than one with antivirus. It's not a cat and mouse game. Once you run an antivirus, you don't get infected.

CCleaner and Fcleaner does nothing to stop viruses and hardly makes computers faster than using disk cleanup.

Popular Anti-Viruses such as Norton and McAfee can become infected and controlled by viruses... just like Jailbreaking the iPhone doesn't work when the Phone is updated... viruses run amok until the Software is updated then the Developers start again... it's never-ending... in addition CCleaner and FCleaner work better than most Anti-Viruses, because most Viruses run around in Temporary Files which Disc Cleaner that comes with Windows 7 cannot delete, running C/FCleaner in Safe Mode deletes all Temporary Files, therefore most viruses

skate71290

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
UK

Also, once anti-viruses are hacked it's pretty much running your computer unprotected, so why bother in the first place, in addition if they gain control over anti-viruses they can scan your computer causing a tremendous slow-down permanently

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Popular Anti-Viruses such as Norton and McAfee can become infected and controlled by viruses... just like Jailbreaking the iPhone doesn't work when the Phone is updated... viruses run amok until the Software is updated then the Developers start again... it's never-ending... in addition CCleaner and FCleaner work better than most Anti-Viruses, because most Viruses run around in Temporary Files which Disc Cleaner that comes with Windows 7 cannot delete, running C/FCleaner in Safe Mode deletes all Temporary Files, therefore most viruses
That is not true at all... I cannot understand how misinformation such as this spreads to people that then try to pass it on as fact.

Most malware these days may start in the Temporary Files folder, as you say... but since it replicates and infects other files, it usually doesn't stay there very long.
Also, once anti-viruses are hacked it's pretty much running your computer unprotected, so why bother in the first place, in addition if they gain control over anti-viruses they can scan your computer causing a tremendous slow-down permanently
You are right that anti-virus programs can be hacked, but the conclusions you draw from that I do not agree with. First of all, any good AV program these days is tamper-resistant, so it can withstand many hack attempts. Secondly, there is absolutely no reason I can think of why a malware author would take control of the scanning function of an AV program then use it to run constant scans. Instead, they'd shut it off and use their newly won freedom for more malicious purposes, such as stealing passwords.

MacKeeperFanMod

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2010
I am using Kaspersky Internet Security 2011, eats about a lot of resources, but the protection is guaranteed, has a huge database of viral entry, which is updated daily.

But when I need a free solution, I use Avast.

Who else uses KIS 2011?

PatrickCocoa

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2008
What do you do when you use bootcamp?

I don't quite understand the question. When I use bootcamp it fires up Windows XP. At that point I have no anti-virus. I spend most of my time in bootcamp/XP playing games, occasionally firing up Internet Explorer to look up some information.

iamrawr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 16, 2010
New Jersey
I don't quite understand the question. When I use bootcamp it fires up Windows XP. At that point I have no anti-virus. I spend most of my time in bootcamp/XP playing games, occasionally firing up Internet Explorer to look up some information.

and you get no spyware, malware, trojans, etc. from all those years without using any antivirus software? i would actually consider myself lucky! through my 4 years of using Win XP on my dell xps laptop i actually got quite a few viruses/trojans by surfing the net. thank goodness a had norton in it.

CartoonHeroII

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2004
Rigby, ID
ClamWin

I currently use ClamWin and haven't encountered any virus yet. I'm kinda surprised no one has mentioned it yet, maybe it's not as good as I thought... Of course, I hardly do anything in Windows. Just a bit in Excel for my accounting course that requires VBA.

As an aside, I also use ClamXav for OS X, just to try and prevent spreading infected downloads/attachments.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.