Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frenchjay

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
Hi, can someone here tell me what size screwdriver I would need to unscrew the two screws at both sides of the 30 pin connector port?

I am going to order an oem white glass housing for my phone to customize it and I have also had alot of interest from friends and others for me to possibly do it on there phones aswell.

Thannks in advance :)

Frenchjay

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
They're small, similar to those found on glasses.

Thanks but i need the size. I think I'm going to go into the local rc model shop tommorow and see what they have.

Anyone else no the size I would be gratefull if someone could tell me :)

Btw they have some oem back glass housing on eBay for 10£ shipped!!

Frenchjay

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
Where are you going to order the oem white glass?

I would like to change the back to white. I had a white 3GS but the iPhone 4 with a white front put me off slightly.

I think it will come in handy to have a spare around aswell incase one gets smashed. Mine is untouched at the moment but you cannot say without doubt an accident will happen.

Hellishness

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2010
Bay Area, CA
I would like to change the back to white. I had a white 3GS but the iPhone 4 with a white front put me off slightly.

I think it will come in handy to have a spare around aswell incase one gets smashed. Mine is untouched at the moment but you cannot say without doubt an accident will happen.
He asked 'where', not 'why', and I would also like to know where I can get an OEM replacement back for that cheap. I don't think you should be worried about the specific size. A watch/glasses screwdriver should work just fine.

Frenchjay

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
He asked 'where', not 'why', and I would also like to know where I can get an OEM replacement back for that cheap. I don't think you should be worried about the specific size. A watch/glasses screwdriver should work just fine.

An oem one her for 9.99£

http://wap.ebay.co.uk/Pages/ViewItem.aspx? aid=250665267963&sv=iPhone 4 glass&emvcc=0

Search iPhone 4 glass on eBay it will bring up more cheaper or more expensive. There is one for 16.99 it's white oem including a screwdriver delivered ;)

Hellishness

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2010
Bay Area, CA
An oem one her for 9.99£

http://wap.ebay.co.uk/Pages/ViewItem.aspx? aid=250665267963&sv=iPhone 4 glass&emvcc=0

Search iPhone 4 glass on eBay it will bring up more cheaper or more expensive. There is one for 16.99 it's white oem including a screwdriver delivered ;)

The link doesn't work, but are you sure it's the whole back assembly with the plastic housing, not just the glass, which is glued into the housing?

Frenchjay

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
The link doesn't work, but are you sure it's the whole back assembly with the plastic housing, not just the glass, which is glued into the housing?

Oh sorry I posted the link from the eBay wap site I'm using my phone atm. Please search iPhone glass on eBay it is advertised at 9.99£ and is white oem.

I'm pretty sure from the pictures the white plastic is on the glass and it comes off together when you unscrew it from the phone.

flexi

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2010
Its definitely not a philips screw head, you just need to look at it to see that. Its a five pointed shape which is a TORX, which is used by apple in nearly everything they make. Size would be a 5 or a 6 I would guess as I haven't got my TORXs at hand.

A philips screwdriver wouldn't work, you could try a flat headed precision screwdriver if you couldn't be bothered to get the correct one, however you might find it hard to get the right size.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Its definitely not a philips screw head, you just need to look at it to see that. Its a five pointed shape which is a TORX, which is used by apple in nearly everything they make. Size would be a 5 or a 6 I would guess as I haven't got my TORXs at hand.

A philips screwdriver wouldn't work, you could try a flat headed precision screwdriver if you couldn't be bothered to get the correct one, however you might find it hard to get the right size.

No, it's a Philips. The pictures on Apple's site are wrong. They must have changed it for some reason...

hdtravel

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2010
Albuquerque NM
Type & Size

The thing is that some iPhone 4's have two phillips type screws on the bottom and the newer ones and those that Apple repairs or opens have TORX screws on the bottom. If you take your phone into Apple and they open it they are replacing the Philips screws with TORX screws. This is an attempt to keep people from opening their phones.

What size philips ?

What size TORX ?

Any good tech will need both types of screwdrivers.

Any good source in the USA to buy these small drivers ?

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
No, it's a Philips. The pictures on Apple's site are wrong. They must have changed it for some reason...

They could be philips OR torx. they apparently changed them recently to be torx, so older ones will be phillips, newer ones torx security.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
The thing is that some iPhone 4's have two phillips type screws on the bottom and the newer ones and those that Apple repairs or opens have TORX screws on the bottom. If you take your phone into Apple and they open it they are replacing the Philips screws with TORX screws. This is an attempt to keep people from opening their phones.

What size philips ?

What size TORX ?

Any good tech will need both types of screwdrivers.

Any good source in the USA to buy these small drivers ?
This is ********, you can find Torx screwdrivers pretty much everywhere where screwdrivers are sold. The only reason Apple might be replacing the screws with Torx screws is because they are easier to tighten and less prone to damage when screwing the screws manually.

pintnight

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2008
This is ********, you can find Torx screwdrivers pretty much everywhere where screwdrivers are sold. The only reason Apple might be replacing the screws with Torx screws is because they are easier to tighten and less prone to damage when screwing the screws manually.
This! Much harder to strip the torx screws. I hate phillips screws.

macstop111

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2010
Iphone new 5 star screwdriver

I have purchased the one on ifixit for the mac air that claims to work for the IP4. Let me be the first to say that it is not the correct one. They refunded my money as soon as I let them know. This is a very small screwdriver that is not being manufactured by anyone yet. If anyone finds where to get it , please let me know. It is smaller than the t3 ones.. I also got some on ebay and they also were too large.:(

Flyinb

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2010
It is a philips 00, I have changed all 6 iPhone 4's backs in our family with no problem...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.