Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robertnas99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2006
I know that VLC is supposed to sync audio/video on the fly and it usually works fine. But is it actually possible to sync the audio with the video when there is an actual fault of the sync in the original, for example, avi-file?? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Could someone please shine some light on this one? :D

the Western zoo

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2006
Aarhus C, Denmark
You have the posibility to "desync" the audio from the video.

This is what you do:
1. Go to preferences
2. Select Audio from the list, actually I think it is selected by default
3. Click the advanced checkbox in the lower lefthand corner
4. Enter the miliseconds you want to "desync" the audio in the box to your right - it's entitled Audio desynchronization compensation - if you want the sound to come before the picture is it originally put a minus in front of the number...

SpinUp

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2004
Canada
also, to do it on the fly, the default hot keys are g and f (with no modifier) to speed up and slow down the audio.

robertnas99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2006
Yes, that is definitely the way to do it! Actually found these hot keys pretty soon after originally starting this thread more than a year ago. My bad not posting my finding, so thanks for bringing closure to the thread for any other user that may pop by.

SnapperNZ

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2007
And I read this about a year ago and it helped me then - and has just done so again - so thanks to all for the information!
:)

TWHH

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
Just come across this while searching for a fix for an out of sync avi file.

What a wonderful thing VLC is :)

nightfly13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2008
Ranchi, India
F and G! Brilliant. Thanks Mac Rumors dudes. Is there a way to find those keyboard shortcuts? I was trying control/command and lots of shortcuts before I decided to Google it and came here.

andrekek

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2012
For newer versions of VLC, J and K.
To check what keystroke your version have.

1. Click on "Tools".
2. Then on "Settings".
3. Look for "Hotkeys". If in Advance\All mode, then it is under "Interface".
4. If you have a Search box, search for audio or something similar.
5. Now use your new found knowledge.

(Sry for bad English)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.