Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Jan 6, 2009
Quit being pedantic. Nobody calls those things used to cover wounds "Nexcare brand adhesive medical strips", Bandaids is good enough. It's an equivalent, spread a better name for it and maybe we will use it.

There is no AwesomeBar or equivalent in Safari. For example, try to write "super mumbo bambo bear" in the adressfield and press enter. Will it use the search engine to search for it? No. Safari still use a separate search bar and adressfield. Merge them and you have the beginning of an awesomebar.

One Man Army

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2007
Where is the bookmark alphabetization extension?

I know this isn't exactly what you're looking for but it's a handy trick you might like.

Click the 'show all bookmarks' button in the bookmarks bar
Drag all the bookmarks and folders out of the bar on the left onto your desktop
Now drag them all back in from your desktop
They should all now be in alphabetical order

Last edited by a moderator:

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
For whatever reason, my Safari 5 install is garbage and runs super slow, especially when it comes to retrieving a site. Using the built in google search bar usually always results in the connection timing out. I can switch over to Firefox and be fine. Weird. Guess I should try to reinstall?

Vmaatta

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2007
Something tells me your really really wrong. If I was Apple I'd build an Ad blocker straight into the browser, the less people that see google ads the better, and since iAds is only in Apps it doesn't effect Apple one bit.

I agree with you in that there’s no reason for Apple to not allow ad blockers. But doing good business [Apple way] is not about hurting the competition. Apple has no need to start trying to back-stab Google :rolleyes:.

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006
What's not mentioned is that Apple also introduced enhanced support for lags while switching tabs, more frequent beachballs, and DNS issues in the latest iteration of Safari.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
I only want one extension: Disable animated GIFs. I just can't read if there's things moving everywhere on my screen.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Will Safari extensions automatically detect when there's an update available and offer to install all updates at once, as in Firefox? If not, that's a pretty big drawback, no one wants to have to manually hunt down and separately install updates for all their extensions.

stoopkitty

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2010
this is good, but they need to accept all extensions

this is the same thing with the app store all over again. the way they word it, "have your extention considered", makes it sound like they will have about 5 extensions. fine, make a place where its easy to find extensions, you can even scan them for virus, make sure they work, and categorize them, but don't pick and choose and have rules and do what you did with the app store!!

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I’d like an extension to remember a persistent Zoom level, please :) (I know you can fake it with CSS, but it’s not straightforward for most people.)

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
OS 9.2.2 here we come!

Can't wait for all the crashes and Apple telling you to start with Extensions turned off.

So they now want private developers to advance their piece of software?

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
Think we are seeing a new trend software distribution develop here. Once the iPhone/iPod touch user gets use to purchasing software via iTunes.....why not distribute it for the Mac that way too.....including, dah dah dah...Safari extensions

How is this different than the widget gallery they have had for some time now?

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
Is there going to be an extension that fixes the iPhone 4 issues?

Can't we have a thread that is safe from the iPhone-4 antenna issue comments? Geeez.... there are already 10 or more threads on articles on MacRumors pertaining to iPhone-4 issues.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
this is the same thing with the app store all over again. the way they word it, "have your extention considered", makes it sound like they will have about 5 extensions. fine, make a place where its easy to find extensions, you can even scan them for virus, make sure they work, and categorize them, but don't pick and choose and have rules and do what you did with the app store!!

if they are going to host a gallery, then they certainly have to leave some room to reject some. people could put out things that could get apple in PR or legal trouble. right now, apple is having enough PR trouble.

Mitchelino

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2009
Ontario, Canada
i hope "click to flash" makes it to place one!

Same here. I love Click to Flash. Makes my life so much easier.

i hope "click to flash" makes it to place one!
...while my hope is that flash haters finally figure out how to uninstall the plugin.

I'm not a flash hater (and I doubt andiwm2003 is). Click to Flash is to stop flash videos/ads/etc. from loading while browsing a web page, yet it gives you the ability to click the blocked flash item to view it. This is very useful for blocking ads and selecting what flash items you want to view. Flash isn't dead yet, so I'm not going to uninstall the plugin yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.