Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sn0warmy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
Denver, CO
This afternoon, while grilling by our pool, I noticed an iPhone 4 sitting on a table with no one around. After being down there for over an hour some teenagers came in and starting eying the phone. One of them finally asked me if it was mine. Not trusting their intentions I said yes and took it with me.

My first reaction was to call "home" or "mom" but the phone has a passcode lock on it. Stupidly, I tried typing in "1111" to see if I could get lucky. Obviously that didn't work and now the phone is unusable for 60 minutes.

Aside from waiting for the owner to call the phone (which will hopefully happen sometime soon), is there a way for me to call a number located on the phone?

Edit: Would the Apple store be able to plug the phone into their system and contact the owner?

zerostar

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2008
South Florida
I know about 10 people with code 2580 (straight down the middle) that might be worth a shot...

Not sure if AT&T would be of any help... I'm sure with the SIM they could look up who it belongs to, but don't know if they would do anything unless you got a really awesome person to help.

iSaxon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Do you have a public pool? Just wondering why it was sitting on a table by where you were grilling. I'm sure they'll call the phone soon.

Connect it to iTunes. Bam. You'll have their cell #, take it to AT&T and lookup the name. As long as they can give you the info.

AT&T should be able to contact the owner. Not sure about Apple.

Maaz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2010
Hold the home button to activate voice control. Then say something like "call mom" or "home"

spblat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
Take it to a nearby Apple store and leave it with an employee. My son got his lost iPod touch back that way just the other day.

sn0warmy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
Denver, CO
I know about 10 people with code 2580 (straight down the middle) that might be worth a shot...

I'll give that a shot in 50 minutes when it allows me to try again.

Do you have a public pool? Just wondering why it was sitting on a table by where you were grilling. I'm sure they'll call the phone soon.

Connect it to iTunes. Bam. You'll have their cell #, take it to AT&T and lookup the name. As long as they can give you the info.

AT&T should be able to contact the owner. Not sure about Apple.

Yeah it's a public pool, the phone was sitting next to a bunch of empty beer cans, it was there for a while and I'm sure those kids would have taken it with no intention of returning it if i left it there.

Yeah, I'm assuming they will call the phone soon.

Hold the home button to activate voice control. Then say something like "call mom" or "home"

I just tired this but the "iPhone is disabled for 47 minutes"

sn0warmy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
Denver, CO
Take it to a nearby Apple store and leave it with an employee. My son got his lost iPod touch back that way just the other day.

I do not trust that for a few reasons.

1) I worked at Best Buy in college and I know the caliber of employees working at retail stores like these. Chances are the employee would get the phone and it would be gone forever.

2) How would the owner of the phone know to go to the Apple store? There are 4 of them within 15 miles of here.

I'm assuming this person lives in my complex. I think holding onto it for now is my best bet.

PUCCY

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2008
sn0puccy,

you sound like a very decent person. That is nice of u and yeah those vultures would have stole it.

sn0warmy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
Denver, CO
Yep! Just tested it on mine to confirm.

Awesome, I'll do this as soon as the time expires.

sn0puccy,

you sound like a very decent person. That is nice of u and yeah those vultures would have stole it.

Judging by the way you changed my name I'm not sure if that's a compliment or an insult. :p

But thank you. I know what it's like to have something with a high value stolen from me and if I was this person I would be ecstatic to have someone return what is rightfully mine.

macjram

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2008
Awesome, I'll do this as soon as the time expires.

Judging by the way you changed my name I'm not sure if that's a compliment or an insult. :p

But thank you. I know what it's like to have something with a high value stolen from me and if I was this person I would be ecstatic to have someone return what is rightfully mine.

I think he just combined your name with his haha 'sn0' and 'puccy'

anyways I applaud you for your good deed =]

sn0warmy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
Denver, CO
Good news!

The guy's mom just called the phone looking for him and will be swinging by to pick the phone up in an hour.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Who is in charge of the pool? Contact them to let them know you have the phone.

If next to beer cans, maybe the owner got really drunk.

Try voice control. Wait for phone call? I would call the phone.

milerich

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
Good news!

The guy's mom just called the phone looking for him and will be swinging by to pick the phone up in an hour.

Kuddos to you!

And to the MacRumors community for not blasting the OP for trying to find a way to keep the phone! :)

Pix or the return didn't happen ;-)

sn0warmy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
Denver, CO
Who is in charge of the pool? Contact them to let them know you have the phone.

If next to beer cans, maybe the owner got really drunk.

Try voice control. Wait for phone call? I would call the phone.

The front office is closed for the night.

Kuddos to you!

And to the MacRumors community for not blasting the OP for trying to find a way to keep the phone! :)

Pix or the return didn't happen ;-)

haha, I mean here is a picture of it...

IMG_20100713_192757.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.