Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crtvmac

Original poster
Aug 14, 2009
Base on what I can afford, I am looking to buy a used Xserve with at least two 2.26GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon "Nehalem" 5500 series processors. I have been looking on Ebay for approximately six months and have not had any luck. I always see the same eight or nine Xserves, by the same sellers, in the same state, trying to sell their older model Xserve with the 2Ghz, 2.8Ghz and 3Ghz intel Xeon 5130 or 5400 series Intel Xeon processors. I know there is not a large market for Xserve because it is a specialize product, which generally caters to the business buyer. However, in relationship to Ebay, I would expect to see more than eight or nine of the same Xserves' with the 5130 or 5400 series Intel Xeon processors, being sold by the same sellers, in the same few states, considering Ebay has approximately 300,000,000+ million members. With that said, I would like to know has anyone had any success buying a used model Xserve with the Intel "Nehalem" 5500 series processor on Ebay or any other auction website?

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Don't know, even clicking on the special deals, it is showing the MA882 as a best deal refurbished.

http://lowendmac.com/dealers/index.shtml

Don't know about why there is a low stock, people simply may not have ordered as many of this model due to slumping economy and thus there aren't many/any of them for resale.

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
hardly any aftermarket. they last awhile, tend not to break. you will find plenty of G5's out there, but you will have difficulty finding a newer one for a decent price. Consider getting a tower and purchasing the server license. I have quite a few Xserves and towers, and for some uses one would be hard pressed to see a difference in performance.

crtvmac

Original poster
Aug 14, 2009
Thanks for the information. My next step is to be vigilant in waiting for a bargain to show up on Ebay, for the type of Xserve I am looking to purchase.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Why do you need an Xserve? Maybe consider an used Mac Pro for the same purpose?

crtvmac

Original poster
Aug 14, 2009
Why do you need an Xserve? Maybe consider an used Mac Pro for the same purpose?

I want to expand, based on my budget and available limited space , to what I have already invested a considerable amount of money on. I presently have an Apple Xserve in a rack enclosure setup. Thanks for the suggestion just the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.