Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ctt1wbw

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Seaford VA
Is there any way to prevent iTunes from installing iPhone apps onto the iPad when you sync your iPad?

If I but an app when using my iPhone and then sync the iPhone, the app transfers to iTunes. Now when I sync my iPad, that iPhone app is transferred to the iPad.

Is there any way to stop this? I know iTunes won't install an iPad app on to the iPhone, but why not in reverse?

rjames86

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2007
San Francisco
The reason it goes in reverse is because the iPad can run iPhone apps, either in 1x or 2x zoom.

As far as I know the only way you can stop the iPad from syncing your iPhone apps would be to check off those that you would not like to sync.

Hope this helps!

pelicanflip

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2009
NYC
Yeah, that helps, but that's a round-a-bout way of doing. But it would work. Thank ya! :)

When you connect your iPad to iTunes, it transfers whatever purchases/downloads you've made.

When you click sync, it has the option of choosing which apps you want to sync. Obviously, if you don't want to have any iPhone apps on your iPad, just unclick them.

It's not a round-a-bout, it's called "not being lazy."

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

I never auto sync apps. I have hundreds and it would fill up my iPad.

ctt1wbw

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Seaford VA
When you connect your iPad to iTunes, it transfers whatever purchases/downloads you've made.

When you click sync, it has the option of choosing which apps you want to sync. Obviously, if you don't want to have any iPhone apps on your iPad, just unclick them.

Lazy?! You got that right! :p

rjames86

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2007
San Francisco

If we weren't lazy we'd still be doing everything manually and not on a computer at all.

It may be a bit obnoxious you have to choose which you won't want to sync to your iPad, but technically the iPhone apps WILL run on the iPad, which is why they sync by default. Most look horrible in 2x.

odinsride

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
I think what iTunes need is a way to group or sort the apps by device on the screen where you manually check apps to sync (similar to the main Apps screen in iTunes)

rjames86

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2007
San Francisco
Agreed. That would be nice. Although the rearranging of apps in iTunes is nice its very poorly implemented. Apple needs to spend some time on the small things that used to be so great. I feel the quality of everything is slowly lowering, which is sad.

b.c.

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2008
Is there any way to prevent iTunes from installing iPhone apps onto the iPad when you sync your iPad?

If I but an app when using my iPhone and then sync the iPhone, the app transfers to iTunes. Now when I sync my iPad, that iPhone app is transferred to the iPad.

not a 100% solution, but...

there's a new checkbox in iTunes 9.2 that says "Automatically sync new apps". I think it defaults to ON.
http://www.tuaw.com/2010/06/19/itunes-9-2-adds-option-for-automatic-sync-of-new-apps/

if you turn that OFF, now if you sync your iPhone, then later sync your iPad it won't pick up any new apps you bought on your iPhone. however you will from now on need to manually add any new apps you do want to whichever device is missing them.

maybe not exactly what you're looking for, but it should help a bit. at least new apps you buy on your iPhone won't automatically show up on your iPad.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
I have avoided sync because of this issue. I don't want my iPod Touch apps showing up on my iPad. The one time I did let it sync, I turned off "sync apps". Somehow iTunes interpreted my intentions as "delete everything". I never synced again. Turning off sync apps should simply prevent any apps from being added or removed from the iPad, iPod Touch or iPhone. Clearly somebody at Apple needs to re-think the whole app sync process. As for laziness, another way of looking at it is time spent serving the machine as opposed to having the machine serving me. Checking long lists of things is so DOS. If I wanted to deal with checking long lists of options, I would be running Windows. Sheesh.

hsotnicam8002

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2008
United Kingdom
Of course you need to deselect autosync or deselect the apps manually. How would iTunes know what YOU wish to have transferred? It a piece of software not some telepath that can read YOUR mind. We each have our preferences and now and again need to get off our asses and make some effort, in this case click a couple of buttons. GeeZ!

In this case I suspect that the asker simply did not know the elementaries of how to use itunes wrt to the iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.