Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iambasil

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
London, UK
Recently after having my email account hacked, I've been weary of my internet activity.

Has anyone one had experience with this software? How safe would it be to use it?
Slow slow slow slow slow! That is my experience with Vidalia. Just about unusable most times. As for safety... never had an issue, but really don't know.

iambasil

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
London, UK
Could you explain please? what does it slow down - bandwidth?
Do you know of any other alternatives out there?
Yeah, the bandwidth slowed down to a micro-crawl. I was using it for the Tor feature. As soon as I switched it off, all was back to normal.

mlts22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2008
I highly recommend using a paid for VPN service, unless you are doing something that needs the security of TOR. This way, your traffic is encrypted all the way to the VPN, so someone sniffing local links will not be able to grab your password... and if someone has one of the big routers compromised, they will be looking for far bigger fish.

strongvpn.com comes to mind. I also have heard of high recommendations for cotse.net and swissvpn.net.

mlts22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2008
Thank you. Never heard of this service but will look into it pronto!

I mostly want to encrypt or "protect" the activity on this one computer, the one I'm on now. It is the only one my family uses and it is of big importance that all activity on it is secure. I have firewall on, but it seems in today's day and age that is just not enough.

If the computer is a desktop machine and not a laptop, I highly recommend putting it behind a firewalling router. The Airport Extreme, or the Time Capsule both provide excellent firewalling capability for a home user.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.