Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Captainobvvious

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
The only thing that concerns me is whether or not it includes a fix for the proximity sensor (if in fact it is a software issue)

I don't make a single phone call without muting, speaker phoning, face timing the person on the other end.

r3voLoL

macrumors member
May 12, 2010
This was mentioned in a recent press release, wasn't it?

Does that mean no 'signal fix' until 4.1 is officially released in (possibly) a few weeks time...?

Apple doesn't have a signal fix! All they are fixing are the size of the bars, and the way iOS shows the signal strength you have. The signal issue IS NOT in the iOS software, it is completely a HARDWARE issue.

ethana

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2008
Seattle, WA
Just put 4.1 Beta on my iPhone 4. The bars are different and definitely lower (3 bars now instead of 5) but that is just a visual changes.

Holding the phone like I usually do STILL causes the signal strength to drop down to one bar.

Just to let you all know again... 4.1 Beta does NOT solve the "death grip" problem.

canadianpj

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2008
I wouldn't be going to my local Verizon store tomorrow to pick up a Droid X that I reserved earlier today. I will be going to the AT&T store that's just down the road from the Verizon store as soon as the number port is complete to return the iPhone 4 and get my $200 and change back.

I never thought I'd have to do this, but Apple pushed my buttons by not coming clean on the proximity sensor issue weeks ago and telling us directly if and when a fix would be available. My 30 day return window on iPhone 4 closes a week from tomorrow. I'm done waiting while Apple slowly decides how they're going to handle this debacle on the public stage.

Nice. Cya. Have fun.

Inkling

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2006
Bluetooth keyboard?

I agree. The battery drain on my iPod touch (2g) has worsened considerable since iOS4. Given how few new features it offers us, that's inexcusable. It's like an automaker improving your car by adding little more than an ash tray, while cutting the gas milage in half. Why does it take so much more juice to do little more than stack apps into folders?

Could someone testing this tell us this beta will support Bluetooth keyboards on the iPhone 3g and second generation touch? That was the most glaring omission in iOS4. My newly purchased Palm 3245WW Bluetooth keyboard will talk with an ancient, six-year-old Treo 650. It's disgusting that Apple won't let it talk with an iPod touch I bought from them just last year.

DEE9299

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2009
Boston Mass.
Just put 4.1 Beta on my iPhone 4. The bars are different and definitely lower (3 bars now instead of 5) but that is just a visual changes.

Holding the phone like I usually do STILL causes the signal strength to drop down to one bar.

Just to let you all know again... 4.1 Beta does NOT solve the "death grip" problem.

can you tell us if your baseband changed?

rellik

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2008
Restored and just carried out a quick test at various locations around my home.

The reception issue is still there. I repeat the reception issue is _still_ there.

What is strange is I usually get three bars at my workstation. After the restore I _still_ get three bars. From Apple's press release I expected the phone to only show one bar.

Either way - when I pick the phone up and gently hold it in my left hand it loses all signal :(

zub3qin

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

There HAS to be more than signal bar size. It wouldn't be 4.1 if that's all it was. So what about the other bugs people reported?

zub3qin

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

tompl said:
So you all know Proximity Sensor still not fixed so its hardware fault too....

You updated to 4.1 and still have sensor prob?

If so this is infuriating.

I bet all this update does is improve things that will make apple money like subscription stuff like gametime or some cloud thing.

tompl

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2010

You updated to 4.1 and still have sensor prob?

If so this is infuriating.

I bet all this update does is improve things that will make apple money like subscription stuff like gametime or some cloud thing.

its going back on sat anyway apple and o2 says its a hardware fault too so they are going to replace it i was just hoping it was software

zub3qin

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007

Neurobit said:
What about the proximity sensor?
Is this fixed? Anyone?

Initial reports are NO

So what does this do? Is it a placebo update?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.