Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which is best?

• Total voters

vant

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 1, 2009
These two seem to have most of the OSX market. Lets see which one is dominated by MR. My money is on Transmission (which is also what I use).

Some constructive criticism is also welcomed ;)

Baral

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2010
Transmission has been out forever, clearly it's going to win...

utorrent is my preferred choice though.

EstrlM3

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2010
i was unable to forward my ports using the port forwarding guide on ortforward . com.

any links to a guide to set up a mbp with static ip using airport extreme with guest networking on?

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
I voted for other because people should pay for their software. And please spare me the rah rah rah about many torrents being legal and legit. Sorry, but most people (and they've blatantly admitted it on a very recent thread) download torrents to steal software. Windows 7, Adobe CS are some of the biggest targets. I always wonder how so many people here just happen to have a copy of Windows for Bootcamp. It's not like you can use a restore disc from another computer. :p

Hisdem

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2010
South Florida
I voted for other because people should pay for their software. And please spare me the rah rah rah about many torrents being legal and legit. Sorry, but most people (and they've blatantly admitted it on a very recent thread) download torrents to steal software. Windows 7, Adobe CS are some of the biggest targets. I always wonder how so many people here just happen to have a copy of Windows for Bootcamp. It's not like you can use a restore disc from another computer. :p

I agree, but take Windows for example. Buying an OS X DVD isn't as hard, because it doesn't cost $450 like Windows. I don't know in the US but this is the situation here. I don't use Windows anymore, but if I did, there is NO way I was going to pay that amount of money for an OS that I consider inferior (spare me the opinions) to the one that came with my computer to start with.

I know some will disagree, but it's not a matter of being 'cheap', it's about a sense of worth. If Apple sells SL DVDs for about $40 why can't MS do the same? :confused:

Xenophon

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2010
New Delhi, India
I know some will disagree, but it's not a matter of being 'cheap', it's about a sense of worth. If Apple sells SL DVDs for about $40 why can't MS do the same?

Simple, because Apple typically sell hardware bundled with their OS and as we all know, they charge a pretty premium on that hardware. In the windows world you're overcharged on the OS, in the Apple world on the machine because, be honest, for the specifications on offer we pay WAY too much.

Why do I stick with them (for the time being):
a) the design of the machines (esthetically, not component quality)
b) the OS

By the way, I prefer Vuze on my mac. And I don't steal software. No bootcamp and every single song on my HDD is bought and paid for.

vant

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 1, 2009
I wouldn't download a windows torrent. That is by far the most popular virus target. VIP or not.

mansanas

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2010
doesnt transmission have like a builit in peer block like feature and utorrent doesnt?

TrojanX

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2010
Houston, Tx

+1 for you :D:D:D

My thoughts exactly and seeing as I have very little practical use of torrents, I find it hard to vote. But I threw in my preference for Trans because, well, I like the name :rolleyes:

Seriously People, don't steal! How would you like it if I stole your livelyhood/productivity! *puts on his flame shield to prepare for his unintended onslaught :(*

darkplanets

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2009
If I could vote for systems like dtella instead, then I would.

We're talking about BT though, so I'll have to go with "other," and pick Vuze.

Why, you might ask? Well, yeah, its bloated as crap. However I like the customization.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.