Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spblat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
My prediction is similar to others we've seen. They'll say something like this:

The iPhone 4 has been our most popular product ever. We've been excited and humbled by unprecedented sales volume of the past few weeks. It's been our biggest Apple launch ever. Millions of people are loving their iPhone 4's. Retina etc. Awesome.

We've made incredible improvements in the RF design of this device. Here are some examples of press coverage describing the iPhone 4's ability to hold onto calls in what used to be dead spots.

We understand that there have been reports of some people experiencing reception problems when the iPhone 4 is handled in a particular way. We agree that appearance of these problems is related to the "innovative" external antenna design, but this issue has been exacerbated by an error we made in how we display the bars in iOS. [Reference what was learned from Anandtech's analysis.]

We are extremely confident in the overall design of the product. So much so that today we're announcing that anyone who buys an iPhone 4 during its first 6 months can return it--no questions asked--within 30 days of purchase, with no restocking fee, regardless of which authorized reseller you bought it from. This includes the 1.7 million people who bought an iPhone 4 on launch day. We're confident you will love your iPhone.

In addition, next week we will release a software update that will (among other enhancements) do two things. 1) It will make our signal display more accurate, and 2) it will include an update to the radio equipment in the iPhone that will make it more effective at maximizing signal strength even when the two antennas are bridged by your hand.

Finally, anyone who has already bought an iPhone 4 will receive a $50 Apple Store gift card with our compliments. If you would prefer to make sure the two external antennas are never bridged by the way you hold your iPhone, you can buy a bumper or another case on us. If you don't feel you need a case for your iPhone (or if you already bought one) we hope you enjoy whatever you buy with the card.

That's all we have to announce for today. Thanks for coming. And screw Jason Chen. And also those dirtbags at Consumer Reports.​

I would be more than satisfied with a response like this, although the $50 gift card is probably a tad optimistic (but recall for precedent the credit to existing iPhone users when the price dropped suddenly). And I bet they don't say word one about the proximity sensor issue, or the white iPhone 4.

klrobinson999

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2008
When Consumer Reports speaks, people listen. Apple knows this, which is why they are finally reacting.

CR did NOT say NOT to buy the iPhone 4, they just didn't recommend it...however, that's simply equivocation in the minds of the general consumer.

lllll

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2009
This conference is yet another of Apple genius idea of using the press for free pubilicity. Apple is really genius, indeed.

LoopInsight, Engadget and others are reporting that Apple will be holding a press conference this Friday.The topic of discussion, of course, is the iPhone 4 which has received much press over the past few weeks regarding a signal loss issue when it is held in certain ways. A Consumer Reports article reignited discussion of this issue earlier this week.

Article Link: Apple Holding iPhone 4 Press Conference on Friday

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
Better question to ask yourself:

What will he have to say to keep my iPhone 4 and not return within 30 days?

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
Take your own advice. They did not rate the phone a "don't buy" as you claimed in your previous post; they just didn't list it as a "recommended" phone although it had their highest rating.

Rating the phone as "Not Recommended" is the same thing. You're arguing semantics.

How about Apple systematically deleting EVERY SINGLE THREAD on their support forums that mentions ANYTHING about the Consumer Reports report?

Uggh, the fanboyism around here is sickening. MR sure isn't what it once was.

Lestdog

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
There is no antennae problem. I've got a 3GS and my buddy has a iPhone 4.0 and he gets signal in places at the hospital where I can't even get one. As far as covering part of the antennae causing a drop in signal, I can reproduce that with my 3GS as well. People need to stop digging for things that isn't there. If your signal drops while holding the phone, well, the signal in that area was probably weak to begin with and your iPhone probably shouldn't have been displaying as many bars. Enjoy your phone and don't worry. If you honestly hate it so much, return it. Your lost.

Ahem, at 2 different apple stores I held my iphone 3G and several of the iphone 4s.. I was able to duplicate the signal loss on everyone of the iphone 4s.. After cupping my hand completely around the 3g I managed to lose 1 single bar…. so no there's is an issue.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
When Consumer Reports speaks, people listen. Apple knows this, which is why they are finally reacting.

CR did NOT say NOT to buy the iPhone 4, they just didn't recommend it...however, that's simply equivocation in the minds of the general consumer.

I don't know about anyone else but I went "Huh, people still read that..."

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

This just keeps getting funnier and funnier.

decadentdave

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
If it was going to be recalled they would hold the press conference at the beginning of the week to deal with all of the media fallout, not on a Friday when everyone wants to enjoy their weekend.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
There is no antennae problem. I've got a 3GS and my buddy has a iPhone 4.0 and he gets signal in places at the hospital where I can't even get one. As far as covering part of the antennae causing a drop in signal, I can reproduce that with my 3GS as well. People need to stop digging for things that isn't there. If your signal drops while holding the phone, well, the signal in that area was probably weak to begin with and your iPhone probably shouldn't have been displaying as many bars. Enjoy your phone and don't worry. If you honestly hate it so much, return it. Your lost.

Agreed. One of the calmer and more intelligent posts on this site. While I suspect some iPhones have this issue, waiting until Apple addresses the issue is the most sensible recourse. Otherwise, it's simply people grabbing on to something to complain, perhaps venting helps with other issues in their lives.

As well, I've noticed a rather significant influx of new members in the past two weeks who are commenting incessantly about the iPhone 4 being an "Epic Fail" and that all Apple users are "fanboys", and "I love my Droid" or "I love my WinMo". Almost every thread is becoming a sounding board, even threads that have nothing to do with the iPhone are turning into (cue music) "Apple's demise". :rolleyes:

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
My prediction is similar to others we've seen. They'll say something like this:

The iPhone 4 has been our most popular product ever. We've been excited and humbled by unprecedented sales volume of the past few weeks. It's been our biggest Apple launch ever. Millions of people are loving their iPhone 4's. Retina etc. Awesome.

We've made incredible improvements in the RF design of this device. Here are some examples of press coverage describing the iPhone 4's ability to hold onto calls in what used to be dead spots.

We understand that there have been reports of some people experiencing reception problems when the iPhone 4 is handled in a particular way. We agree that appearance of these problems is related to the "innovative" external antenna design, but this issue has been exacerbated by an error we made in how we display the bars in iOS. [Reference what was learned from Anandtech's analysis.]

We are extremely confident in the overall design of the product. So much so that today we're announcing that anyone who buys an iPhone 4 during its first 6 months can return it--no questions asked--within 30 days of purchase, with no restocking fee, regardless of which authorized reseller you bought it from. This includes the 1.7 million people who bought an iPhone 4 on launch day. We're confident you will love your iPhone.

In addition, next week we will release a software update that will (among other enhancements) do two things. 1) It will make our signal display more accurate, and 2) it will include an update to the radio equipment in the iPhone that will make it more effective at maximizing signal strength even when the two antennas are bridged by your hand.

Finally, anyone who has already bought an iPhone 4 will receive a $50 Apple Store gift card with our compliments. If you would prefer to make sure the two external antennas are never bridged by the way you hold your iPhone, you can buy a bumper or another case on us. If you don't feel you need a case for your iPhone (or if you already bought one) we hope you enjoy whatever you buy with the card.

That's all we have to announce for today. Thanks for coming. And screw Jason Chen. And also those dirtbags at Consumer Reports.​

I would be more than satisfied with a response like this, although the $50 gift card is probably a tad optimistic (but recall for precedent the credit to existing iPhone users when the price dropped suddenly). And I bet they don't say word one about the proximity sensor issue, or the white iPhone 4.

Press release at 10AM. My iPhone 4 returned at 10:30AM.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
Rating the phone as "Not Recommended" is the same thing. You're arguing semantics.

No, it's not. "Recommended" is a specific distinction that Consumer Reports gives out. Most of the products they review don't receive it. But obviously there's no convincing you otherwise, so have a nice day.

zerocustom1989

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
Agreed. One of the calmer and more intelligent posts on this site. While I suspect some iPhones have this issue, waiting until Apple addresses the issue is the most sensible recourse. Otherwise, it's simply people grabbing on to something to complain, perhaps venting helps with other issues in their lives.

As well, I've noticed a rather significant influx of new members in the past two weeks who are commenting incessantly about the iPhone 4 being an "Epic Fail" and that all Apple users are "fanboys", and "I love my Droid" or "I love my WinMo". Almost every thread is becoming a sounding board, even threads that have nothing to do with the iPhone are turning into (cue music) "Apple's demise". :rolleyes:

If I have 3 bars and when i touch the 'spot' my internet data grinds down and I lose the rest of my bars. It effects me so im glad this has happened.

Sean4123

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2009
The press conference will go like this...

What part of "You're holding it wrong!" don't you understand?

That would be pretty funny, I must admit. It should be pretty entertaining. I hope to god they have a true fix though. I'm getting sick and tired of hearing about this.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA

How about Apple systematically deleting EVERY SINGLE THREAD on their support forums that mentions ANYTHING about the Consumer Reports report?

Uggh, the fanboyism around here is sickening. MR sure isn't what it once was.

Point one...wrong. They always pick one product to recommend in each category, but they make it clear that it does not mean don't buy the others.

Point two... if they are deleting the articles... how the HECK do you know they are... or were there?

Point three... Ahhh... this is the Apple Rumor site... we like our Apple products and announcements like this press conference are usually a good thing because the mother ship is answering our calls... or dropped calls in this case! :D :p ;)

MLXB

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2007
Minneapolis
If I were Apple I would offer an exchange program for an iPhone 4 with a coated antenna then resale the "death grip" phones in China.

Apple appeases their US customers, double's their international market share, and profits. It's win-win.

Well, except for the Chinese.

Love it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.