Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
My aunt recently returned from Italy where a family friend gave her money to purchase him an Iphone here in the States. My father is going to Italy in a few days, so my family friend wanted my aunt to buy him an Iphone and have my father give it to him upon his arrival in Italy.

But a few days ago, I read an article on this site that said the Iphone would shortly be available in Italy sometime this summer, and I'm assuming it will be a 3G version.

So my question is, should I just have my dad return to Italy with my family friend's money and inform him the phone will be available soon in Italy? Any ideas if the Iphone will be much more expensive in Italy versus the states when it is finally released?

Thanks in advance.

nickspohn

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2007
Those are rumors.

If you are going to be out a lot, and not by a WiFi network, and you use the internet a lot, then wait, but if i was in your case, i would just get the iPhone when he's in the states.

I also sell unlocked iPhones and ship them worldwide, and when the 3G iPhone comes out, i could hook you up :D

Those are rumors.

If you are going to be out a lot, and not by a WiFi network, and you use the internet a lot, then wait, but if i was in your case, i would just get the iPhone when he's in the states.

I also sell unlocked iPhones and ship them worldwide, and when the 3G iPhone comes out, i could hook you up :D

Nick how much do you sell 2.5gens for? locked though
and to the thread starter
If you want gps, wait, or faster internet speed.
if not just buy one now and enjoy it!
you only have this chance now so go for it if you want
but hey whatever floats your boat

nickspohn

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2007
Well since you're on here, i can sell you them for around $590

iPhone 16GB: $500
Tax: $540
Paypal: $25 = $565
Shipping: $25 = 590

I don't make anything, but i don't lose anything. But tips are welcome :)

Paypal fees and tax are a joke

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
Nick,

I'm not sure if you misread my post, but this isn't for me, it's for a family friend, and I have a matter of days to decide if I should purchase an iphone for him and have my dad bring it to italy in a few days, or have my family friend purchase an iphone in italy when it debuts soon. and no it's not a rumor, it is officially coming out in italy via the 'tim' phone cell service, it's now just a question of a release date.

nickspohn

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2007
It is indeed a rumor still. It's probable to happen yeah, because the rumor comes from a trusted source, but that still doesn't make it confirmed.

It's your choice.

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
Maybe this is a better question:

I'm sorry, but these replies aren't really giving me a proper answer.

Let me try this again with a different question.....

If i purchase an Iphone here in the States, can my family friend in Italy use it in Italy if my dad bring it to him in Italy later this week?

I really need a definitive answer asap. Thanks.

zainjetha

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2007
haha how do you expect this of us man we are mere mortals...

i reckon it will 75% launch in italy soon in june. and the chances of it being unlocked legally are greater than it will ever stand to happen in the USA. And if its unlocked your family friend will have a warranty..

WAIT

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
I'm sorry, but these replies aren't really giving me a proper answer.

Let me try this again with a different question.....

If i purchase an Iphone here in the States, can my family friend in Italy use it in Italy if my dad bring it to him in Italy later this week?

I really need a definitive answer asap. Thanks.

Probably not. I base this on the answer I had to the same question about bringing my US iPhone to the UK when I move there and hooking it up as a UK iPhone on the O2 network. They (O2) said it can't be done and I'd have to purchase one in the UK to use it on O2. I don't know if it actually physically can't be done or if they were just unwilling to do it, but I would imagine that the response you would get in Italy would be the same.

zainjetha

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2007
i read an article of a guy who got an iPhone from USA and activated it with a UK o2 SIM - i think it can be done. but why bother? JB unlock.. i hope i am answering the question though...

cowboybeebop

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2010
Well since you're on here, i can sell you them for around $590

iPhone 16GB: $500
Tax: $540
Paypal: $25 = $565
Shipping: $25 = 590

I don't make anything, but i don't lose anything. But tips are welcome :)

Paypal fees and tax are a joke

Hi, I'm from Ukraine interested me about your ad iPhone
is the price for 3gs or 3g? if 3gs for this price I can buy you. It is locked by an American?
P.S. Sorry for bad English, because translate through a translator

Wegee

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2009
Iphone in Italy

It's not official but here in Italy the iphone 4 will be available in 2 steps:

30 of July with 3 (it's a carrier) in exclusive
24 of August with both Tim (main carrier) and Vodafone

rumor: seems that Vodafone will give Bumpers for FREE with every iphone 4
http://www.ispazio.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/iphone-4-bumper.jpg

Anyway, you can use iphone in Italy only if it's not locked by the carrier (at&t i suppose).
FYI, if you need, here in Italy we have only unlocked iphones, so you can use any carrier you want in the states, but hey, more than 700 euros for an unlocked one!

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
cowboybeebop,

You are responding to a post from over 2 years ago. Make sure you read the dates next time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.