Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Research firms Gartner and IDC yesterday both released preliminary reports detailing U.S. and worldwide PC shipments for the second quarter of 2010, with both firms showing sales growth of Apple's Mac product outpacing that of the industry as a whole.

103402-gartner_2Q10_us_trend.png

Apple's U.S. Market Share Trend: 1Q06-2Q10 (Gartner)
According to Gartner's report, Apple placed fourth among U.S. computer shipments with a 9.8% market share on unit growth of 24.7% over the year-ago quarter. The nearly-10% U.S. market share for the quarter marks a new high for Apple over the past 15 years or so according to Gartner's numbers, up from the previous quarter's 8.0% and from 9.1% in the year-ago quarter. Apple also climbed back into fourth place for U.S. shipments, taking back the spot it ceded to Toshiba two quarters ago in the face of strong netbook sales.

103402-gartner_2Q10_us.png

Gartner's Preliminary U.S. PC Vendor Unit Shipment Estimates for 2Q10 (Thousands of Units)
Overall, Gartner saw a healthy 16% gain in U.S. PC shipments over the year-ago quarter, but pointed to slower growth in netbooks, reportedly due to cannibalization by Apple's iPad, which is not included in the study's numbers.
"The consumer PC market registered double-digit shipment growth, but consumer mobile shipment growth slowed. This was due in part to slower growth of mini-notebooks," Ms. Kitagawa said. "Surging popularity of Apple's iPad temporarily cannibalized mini-notebooks, as well as consumer notebook sales to some degree. It is not certain at this stage if the cannibalization will continue with the current price point of media tablets."
IDC similarly reports Apple's U.S. Mac sales growth as outpacing the overall industry, but to a smaller degree. IDC puts Apple's U.S. market share for the quarter at 8.8% on a unit increase of 15.4% from the year-ago quarter, when it held an 8.6% share of sales. Still, that performance moves Apple back into fourth place ahead of Toshiba and outpaces the more modest overall U.S. industry growth of 12.6% seen by IDC.

103402-idc_2Q10_us.png

IDC's Preliminary U.S. PC Vendor Unit Shipment Estimates for 2Q10 (Thousands of Units)
Neither Gartner nor IDC saw Apple break into their top 5 vendors for worldwide shipments, where Gartner sees Toshiba holding down the fifth spot with 5.1% share and IDC has Toshiba and Asus in a virtual tie at 5.3% at the bottom of its list.

Article Link: Gartner: U.S. Mac Sales Market Share Nearing 10%

devinher

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2010
This is great news - and doesn't even tell the story of Apple's much stronger margins and dominance of the higher end segment.

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
Yet tech pundits on MacBreak Weakly, Leo included, ask stupid questions like, "Is Apple turning its back on the Mac? Will iOS replace OS X?". :cool:Um, yeah sure, with more than a third of its revenue coming from Macs, Apple doesn't care about Macs. Idiots. :rolleyes:

xxgilxx

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2010
As long as they do not put antennas on them I will expect more market growth. I love my Mac!!!

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
So much for the "Mac is dead to Apple" chestnut the haters like to throw around.

In the meantime, Dell and HP battle to see who can lose the most money selling bottom-barrel-budget PCs at razor-thin margins while submitting their monthly tribute check to fat-and-happy Microsoft.

An astounding business plan.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
Do they break it down on cost per unit? I'd be willing to bet that 20% of money spent on computers are done so on Macs, given their price premium over 299.99 Dells and the like.

Yeah, except your post.

If you were so inclined you get close to guessing it by looking at the Mac segment total revenue and estimated gross margins and total unit sales.

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
Yet tech pundits on MacBreak Weakly, Leo included, ask stupid questions like, "Is Apple turning its back on the Mac? Will iOS replace OS X?". :cool:Um, yeah sure, with more than a third of its revenue coming from Macs, Apple doesn't care about Macs. Idiots. :rolleyes:

To be fair, the end conclusion of the discussion was that they will likely not give up on the desktop market. It was Alex Lindsey pushing the stupid idea/prediction that Apple will open source the full OS X in the next five years. It seems everyone else was watching acting like a fool.

If you could distill Apple down to one word, it would be CONTROL. Whatever they do in the future will revolve around them maintaining or increasing control.

johnnymg

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
This is excellent news.

The caveat to this news is that the average unit price (% wise) is declining almost as fast as the unit growth is increasing. The net affect is that the rev growth is only 10% ish. Nothing to sneeze at but the fanboys need to understand that MAC sales are becoming increasingly irrelevant (less important......) to Apple's overall financial state.

cheers to the longs

Shackrat

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
We did our part...

We replaced two PCs with Macs in our household last month along with an Airport Extreme... At least with market sharing continuing to grow it will provide incentive for Apple to continue to innovate the platform.

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
To be fair, the end conclusion of the discussion was that they will likely not give up on the desktop market. It was Alex Lindsey pushing the stupid idea/prediction that Apple will open source the full OS X in the next five years. It seems everyone else was watching acting like a fool.

If you could distill Apple down to one word, it would be CONTROL. Whatever they do in the future will revolve around them maintaining or increasing control.

After Andy beat them over the head for even considering it...

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
What I find most interesting is that the iPad is said to be taking boat loads of sales away from netbooks but iPads do not show up in Mac sales numbers.

Bimmi

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
On the one hand, I want to welcome this as good news; on the other, I'm typing out this post on a very expensive computer that doesn't work all that well, with a visibly-aging OS that I can't even upgrade thanks to Apple's sloppy code testing.

I fear the only message this is going to send to Apple re the Mac is that they don't even have to try all that hard anymore. Or rather, it will reinforce that message, because I don't think they've been trying very hard for a while now.

Journojulz

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2008
Braving the imminent chair throwing, does these figures include the iPad?

To further risk life and limb... Shouldn't they?

I Know it isn't a "proper computer" in the eyes of the techies, but it is kicking the netbook market square in the fork AND is up to the tasks most users users use most computers fore most often.

Neerazan

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2005
London, UK
These figures are pretty healthy, and actually in a couple of ways underplay Apple's success.

The iPad doesn't get included in these figures for Apple, but all the other PC makers have their netbook sales included. Looking at Acer and Dell, these numbers are pretty high in the mix of their unit sales.

Also, Apple is first and foremost a consumer focused company, whilst certain industries have used Macs for years, they don't have a massive footprint of sales into business.

Looking at the consumer market (where individuals are choosing to spend their own cash, not IT departments often making lowest common denominator type descisions for 100s or even 1000s of PCs at a go), Apple are a massive player in a way that many analysts have yet to realise.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005

I agree, but Leo often puts points and counterpoints and changes his mind several times in one show(!). It's just a discussion. On MacBreak Weekly, I think Andy Ihnatko's analogy as the iOS devices being the new baby that needs attention was spot on... the mac can look after itself ok for a while (evidently if market share is still rising), the iOS stuff requires more promotion and attention while it is establishing itself.

I am personally a little bored with all the iOS focus too, but I can kind of understand why Apple feel they have to concentrate on that a little more than the mac. I don't think it means they are ready to stop making computers anytime soon though - I think they became Apple Inc. because they don't only make computers/software, not because they wanted to ditch the computers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.