Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diehldun

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 15, 2003
I just downloaded RDC (just discovered, yeah!), and I am running into some issues.

I am trying to connect my PowerBook to my other Dell laptop running Windows XP. Unfortunately, i cannot get the two computers to talk to each other.

I want the Dell's screen on my PowerBook. Here are the problems:

1) What's exactly the computer name? The IP address? (does each computer have different IP, or each network...)

2) User name/password. When on the PowerBook, it asks me for that. I no clue as to whether that's for the Mac or the Dell.

3) Domain. What is this?????

4) I have already set up the Dell for RDC, but I'm not too sure what exactly I have to do for the PowerBook on 10.3.5. (I have read the directions a gazillion times!!!!!)

RDC sounds like fun, and I'm doing this primiarily out of curiousity and an occasional need to access the Dell from the PowerBook. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much! You guys here have helped me set up my PowerBook, iPod... software problems... you're all great! :)

diehldun

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 15, 2003
BTW...

it's getting rather hard for me to find out the computer name/IP address...

which one do I put in???? :confused:

RoadKill

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2003
LONDON UK
to start a connection, get the ipaddress or hostname of your dell.

from a command line run "ipconfig" or "hostname" and use that in your rdp client. Yes each computer must have a unique name and address.

The prompt for username and password are for your dell. Normally only the administrator is allowed to login by default.

For the domain, use "mshome", "workgroup" or your dell's hostname.

Not sure how much fun your gonna find this as the graphics are far too slow to run games. It's mainly used by remote workers or system administrators.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
I had problems too and it was related to the firewall on XP. Turning it off fixed that problem but then I didn't have a firewall anymore on XP. I believe it's possible to keep the firewall running with ports but I am a dummy when it comes to opening ports.

RoadKill

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2003
LONDON UK
the port you would need to open on the xp box is 3389 and the protocol (if it requires it) is tcp

you should open the port rather than disable your firewall.

diehldun

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 15, 2003
RoadKill said:
to start a connection, get the ipaddress or hostname of your dell.

from a command line run "ipconfig" or "hostname" and use that in your rdp client. Yes each computer must have a unique name and address.

The prompt for username and password are for your dell. Normally only the administrator is allowed to login by default.

For the domain, use "mshome", "workgroup" or your dell's hostname.

Not sure how much fun your gonna find this as the graphics are far too slow to run games. It's mainly used by remote workers or system administrators.

What if there aren't any passwords on the Dell? I just have an account name (it has admin privelages though...)

diehldun

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 15, 2003
RoadKill said:
the port you would need to open on the xp box is 3389 and the protocol (if it requires it) is tcp

a box? what's that?

diehldun

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 15, 2003
when it says "Computer:", do they want the hostname or the IP address?

On the cmd, when I have hostname it gives me a name with #'s and letters, but when I type in IP Address (under Local Area Connection), I get 192.168.0.102.

which one do I put in??

Also, this pops up:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Client could not connect to the remote computer.

Either remote connections are not enabled, the maximum number of connections was exceeded, or a network occured. try connecting again later...

RoadKill

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2003
LONDON UK
by box i meant your computer running xp, sorry a generic term i use.

you can use either, the ip address is probably easier to type in by the sounds of it but may change if you are on a dhcp network.

as regards your error message, you either do not have the remote desktop setup properly or you typed something wrong in the computer field.

Sorry, i don't have a xp box to find the settings. (XP is the reason i bought a mac) so this is from memory,

Go into your control panel and select "system" the last tab along the top is the one you want. make sure the remote desktop box is checked.

now, to quickly test that the service is running. Open a dos style command window (Start -> Run-> type in "cmd" or "command" (no quotes :) and press return)

in the dos window type "telnet localhost 3389"
you won't get much back from this window but it should not say connection failed. If it works you will have to press ctrl + ] to get back to a prompt

now to check the firewall isn't blocking the connectionn type "telnet 192.168.0.102 3389" if thats your xp ip address. Again this should not say anything bad like failed to connect.

diehldun

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 15, 2003
RoadKill said:
by box i meant your computer running xp, sorry a generic term i use.

you can use either, the ip address is probably easier to type in by the sounds of it but may change if you are on a dhcp network.

as regards your error message, you either do not have the remote desktop setup properly or you typed something wrong in the computer field.

Sorry, i don't have a xp box to find the settings. (XP is the reason i bought a mac) so this is from memory,

Go into your control panel and select "system" the last tab along the top is the one you want. make sure the remote desktop box is checked.

now, to quickly test that the service is running. Open a dos style command window (Start -> Run-> type in "cmd" or "command" (no quotes :) and press return)

in the dos window type "telnet localhost 3389"
you won't get much back from this window but it should not say connection failed. If it works you will have to press ctrl + ] to get back to a prompt

now to check the firewall isn't blocking the connectionn type "telnet 192.168.0.102 3389" if thats your xp ip address. Again this should not say anything bad like failed to connect.

I just realized something... does the dell have to have XP Professional?? Or Home Edition?

RoadKill

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2003
LONDON UK
I don't know. I know it's available in professional.

if you have home edition and you want to see the desktop on your mac, have a google for VNC (install the server on your pc) and Chicken of the VNC (client for the mac)

diehldun

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 15, 2003
RoadKill said:
I don't know. I know it's available in professional.

if you have home edition and you want to see the desktop on your mac, have a google for VNC (install the server on your pc) and Chicken of the VNC (client for the mac)

Should I download both (one for the Mac and one for the Dell???)

RoadKill

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2003
LONDON UK
no, "chicken of the vnc" is for connecting to VNC servers.

If your XP machine is capable of allowing remote desktop connections, you do not need it.

did you try the telnet thing?

diehldun

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 15, 2003
RoadKill said:
no, "chicken of the vnc" is for connecting to VNC servers.

If your XP machine is capable of allowing remote desktop connections, you do not need it.

did you try the telnet thing?

telnet?

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
RoadKill said:

Thanks, I found it. It was under Advanced Settings for the Firewall and they actually have a service named "Remote Desktop". I clicked edit and saw the port 3389 already configured and with TCP. I entered the name of my "box" in the text box.

tomf87

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2003
Let's simplify this.

You do NOT have to enter username, password, or domain in the client before you connect. Simply enter the IP or hostname of the machine and click connect. The hostname may or may not work, and if it does not, use the IP address.

XP Home or Professional support this however, there is a caveat. Once you connect through RDC to the XP computer, the local console (meaning the monitor and keyboard connected to the XP computer) will be locked. Only one person can use the system at one time (meaning the local console or RDC).

Once you connect, you can enter your logon there, if needed.

JLS

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2004
Kent, England
diehldun said:
when it says "Computer:", do they want the hostname or the IP address?

On the cmd, when I have hostname it gives me a name with #'s and letters, but when I type in IP Address (under Local Area Connection), I get 192.168.0.102.

which one do I put in??

Also, this pops up:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Client could not connect to the remote computer.

Either remote connections are not enabled, the maximum number of connections was exceeded, or a network occured. try connecting again later...

Thats your network IP address, not internet IP address. If you are trying to do this over the internet rather than a single network you need to get your ip address from here:

http://www.digitalresolve.co.uk/ip.php

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I don't know whether you got it going or not, but it's quite easy once you get the hang of it :)

On the XP computer, right-click on My Computer and choose Properties. Go to the Remote tab and select 'Allow users to connect remotely to this computer.'

Open up RDC on your Mac and put in the Windows computer's IP address. Click Connect and you should see the standard Windows logon window. Enter your Windows username and password, and it should 'just work.'

I believe that you need to have a password assigned to your Windows user account for it all to work. So if you don't currently have a password, you'll need to set one up.

Dr. Dastardly

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
I live in a giant bucket!
I downloaded remote desktop and did the telnet 3389 but got "failed to connect" I'm assuming that the port is closed off or something. If so how would I reenable it. This is the only thing that I have found that seemed to be wrong. I checked the system network options and XP is able to let a remote computer access but when I try to run remote desktop in OSX is either just spins its wheels endlessly. I havn't downloaded the VNC yet but I'll try that later tonight when I get back home. But I'm kinda stumped on why its failing on telnet 3389, any thoughts?

tomf87

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2003
Dr. Dastardly said:
I downloaded remote desktop and did the telnet 3389 but got "failed to connect" I'm assuming that the port is closed off or something. If so how would I reenable it. This is the only thing that I have found that seemed to be wrong. I checked the system network options and XP is able to let a remote computer access but when I try to run remote desktop in OSX is either just spins its wheels endlessly. I havn't downloaded the VNC yet but I'll try that later tonight when I get back home. But I'm kinda stumped on why its failing on telnet 3389, any thoughts?

Yeah, follow Nermal's instructions in the post above yours.

Also, if the OS X RDC client fails once, you will probably have to quit it and relaunch it for it to work again.

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
interesting. . . i had remote desktop working b/w an old windows box and my PB. now it doesnt work :-/ the onlything that has changed is that i went from a d-link router to a linksys router. i have not had time to check the ports on it, but could there be a problem that this 3389 port is closed on the router and thus i am able to not connect through RDC?

<edit> the wierd part is i can connect to the shared files fine through the connect to server window on my PB.

tomf87

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2003
wPod said:
interesting. . . i had remote desktop working b/w an old windows box and my PB. now it doesnt work :-/ the onlything that has changed is that i went from a d-link router to a linksys router. i have not had time to check the ports on it, but could there be a problem that this 3389 port is closed on the router and thus i am able to not connect through RDC?

<edit> the wierd part is i can connect to the shared files fine through the connect to server window on my PB.

If both machines are connected via wireless or wired through an internal switch, then no, the router isn't causing the issue.

Have you put on XP SP2 recently?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.