Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

130750-iphone_4_signal.jpg

TheStreet reports on new research from Rodman Renshaw analyst Ashok Kumar claiming that Apple has developed an internal insulator to isolate the iPhone 4's antenna connection that has been causing signal reception issues.
Apple has created "a design fix for the iPhone 4 that more adequately insulates the transceiver," said Rodman Renshaw analyst Ashok Kumar, who spoke to the company's manufacturing partners.

Apple has told its manufacturers to alter the iPhone production process to include an internal component that will insulate the defective antenna connection that has disrupted the phone's signal reception, said Kumar. This internal bumper will give Apple a non-cosmetic solution and will presumably avoid the need to change the appearance of the phone, said Kumar.
The report notes that the implied change to Apple's manufacturing process is making its presence known in Apple's U.S. online retail store, where shipping estimates have slipped to three weeks from a 7-10 business day timeframe earlier. MacRumors has also received word that Apple has been delaying some iPhone 4 orders that had been carrying delivery estimates for the next few days, pushing them out to delivery next week while citing "an unexpected delay".

It remains to be seen if and how such an internal insulator would be distributed to existing iPhone owners, either on as-needed basis or through a complete recall. It is also unknown whether such a fix can simply be applied to existing iPhones or if units would need to be swapped out for replacement. Further details from Apple regarding the antenna issue are widely expected to be shared at the company's press conference scheduled for tomorrow.

Kumar's track record is relatively unknown, as he has only recently begun covering Apple. He has been quite vocal on the idea of a Verizon iPhone, claiming in January that Apple had settled on a CDMA-only chip from Qualcomm for the Verizon iPhone while reporting in late May that Apple had given manufacturing partner Pegatron/Asustek the go-ahead for Verizon iPhone production for as early as November of this year. Kumar has also reported that Apple has secured an 8-megapixel camera sensor from Sony for the 2011 iPhone, a claim that obviously has not been verified or disproved yet.

Article Link: Analyst Claims Design Fix for iPhone 4 Signal Issue Being Deployed

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
If he's right, voluntary recall seems what is getting announced tomorrow.

It would also mean that the 2nd batch of countries getting iPhone 4 would suffer from a delay in receiving their initial shipments.

vijay007

macrumors regular
May 17, 2007

130750-iphone_4_signal.jpg

TheStreet reports on new research from Rodman Renshaw analyst Ashok Kumar claiming that Apple has developed an internal insulator to isolate the iPhone 4's antenna connection that has been causing signal reception issues.The report notes that the implied change to Apple's manufacturing process is making its presence known in Apple's U.S. online retail store, where shipping estimates have slipped to three weeks from a 7-10 business day timeframe earlier. MacRumors has also received word that Apple has been delaying some iPhone 4 orders that had been carrying delivery estimates for the next few days, pushing them out to delivery next week while citing "an unexpected delay".

It remains to be seen if and how such an internal insulator would be distributed to existing iPhone owners, either on as-needed basis or through a complete recall. It is also unknown whether such a fix can simply be applied to existing iPhones or if units would need to be swapped out for replacement. Further details from Apple regarding the antenna issue are widely expected to be shared at the company's press conference scheduled for tomorrow.

Kumar's track record is relatively unknown, as he has only recently begun covering Apple. He has been quite vocal on the idea of a Verizon iPhone, claiming in January that Apple had settled on a CDMA-only chip from Qualcomm for the Verizon iPhone while reporting in late May that Apple had given manufacturing partner Pegatron/Asustek the go-ahead for Verizon iPhone production for as early as November of this year. Kumar has also reported that Apple has secured an 8-megapixel camera sensor from Sony for the 2011 iPhone, a claim that obviously has not been verified or disproved yet.

Article Link: Analyst Claims Design Fix for iPhone 4 Signal Issue Being Deployed

This is what I like to hear :D

suade8880

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2010
Yes!!! I knew I had faith in Apple all along for a fixed. Now where do we begin with millions that is already been sold? Either way very good news.

sutherland

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2010
Meh, just an analyst.

This is Apple's Red Ring of Death. Not everyone that has an iPhone 4 reports the issues, so I'm sure that if they do modify the design, there will be some replacement program if you have issues.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Any word on how this effects international launch that was set to begin this month?

I would imagine that you're screwed for the time being. If they can't fulfill orders in the US because of a design fix, then there's probably no way they're going to roll them out on time overseas.

Vertigo50

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
Should we start collecting quotes from all the people in the forums of people saying "There won't be a recall people, keep dreaming."?

This will be a very interesting press conference tomorrow.

If they do a recall, I'm really interested to see what Apple's response will be for why they lied about the issue and told people to hold it differently when they knew this was an issue.

Let me guess: They were stunned to discover it.

WhySoSerious

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Dallas, TX
so.....umm...basically, MR is reporting on what some guy has said will happen......and all the other things the same guy has said will happen still haven't happened?

wow. :rolleyes:

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
So what about the rumours about the non-conductive antenna on Page 2? I can't imagine Apple having two different fixes for the issue! Also, how would internal insulation protect from your finger connecting the external, uninsulated antennas?

fishmoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2008
Sweden
I would imagine that you're screwed for the time being. If they can't fulfill orders in the US because of a design fix, then there's probably no way they're going to roll them out on time overseas.

Dammit! Might get my relatives in the UK to do me a favor then.

fredeil

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2010
Any word on how this effects international launch that was set to begin this month?

Hopefully delayed for a few weeks so that we get the non-defect version. :)
And I hope the white iPhone will be shipping at the same time as the black ones. :apple:

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
Not sure if I buy it. Sounds like another analyst reaching and hoping it comes true so he can claim credibility. Either way, we'll see for sure tomorrow.

nopple

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2010
Same Dbag who claimed of verizon Ipad in Jan 2010 and t-mobile iphone in July 2010

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
I'd like to see a detailed analysis from a reputable tech site (read non-BGR or Jizzmodo) that can describe how this works, provided that's what's going to happen at the event tomorrow.

jrbdmb

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2008
USA
so.....umm...basically, MR is reporting on what some guy has said will happen......and all the other things the same guy has said will happen still haven't happened?

wow. :rolleyes:
Well, until Apple decides to tell what they are going to do, there is a vacuum of information, and something is going to fill it. If Apple had been a bit more forthcoming all along, these types of stories wouldn't be needed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.