Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Wall Street Journal reports that Apple is not planning on issuing an iPhone 4 recall at tomorrow's press conference.
Apple's iPhone 4 has been dogged by reports of antenna-reception problems since its launch last month. The company has called a news conference to discuss the issue Friday. Apple doesn't plan to recall the phone, a person familar with the matter said.
Apple engineers were apparently aware of the risks associated with the external antenna design but "Mr. Jobs liked the design so much that Apple went ahead with its development". Earlier today, a Bloomberg article similarly claimed an Apple engineer expressed concern about the design.

The iPhone 4 signal issue has exploded in the media in recent days even with New York senator Charles Schumer publishing an open letter to Steve Jobs expressing concerns about the issue. Schumer is known for his efforts in consumer protection.

Apple is holding a press conference tomorrow to address the issue.

Article Link: Apple Not Planning an iPhone 4 Recall

Irrational

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2010
I told you there would be NO recall!

There is no need for a complete recall. Get a bumper. Not hard.

Or just return the damn phone.

Edit:

Steve will announce tomorrow that the "death grip" was actually just a ingenious new feature that he forgot to mention. Problem Solved! :D

syndalis

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2008
Wow, they better have a good answer for the people who don't want to deal with the hardware flaw.

lamar0607

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
I hope it's money off at any apple store...so we can get any case we like rather than the apple bumper

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
It's not going to be a recall, but an extension of the warranty to replace your iPhone with the rumored new unaffected model if it falls within a certain serial number range. You will most likely get the option to register online to make an appointment to get it replaced.

Not a complete and total recall, but a replacement service.

sishaw

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2005
If it's not a recall, it's got to be a bumper offer. I don't see how after the Consumer Reports and AnandTech articles, Steve Jobs can just try to sweet talk people into believing today's software update fixes the issue.

Apple needs to act positively for the consumer before this thing becomes a real disaster, not just a potential one.

jamesnajera

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2003
I hope it is the type of fix where they replace or add a part to the phone to fix the situation. The other story earlier about some type on internal insulator is what I am hoping for. I just want a fix that works and is not a Bumper or a gift card.

Salacion

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
I hate saying it, but this whole issue is quickly and surely spiraling down hill.

When will people put their egos behind them?

Rocketman

macrumors 603
The well is capped. Now everyone can fixate on Apple. :(

The fix(es) are easy. An internal part to shield the transceiver. An internal part to reduce the impact of attenuation of the two antennas (less effective), a "recommendation" to obtain an external shield at your own expense.

Third party stickers to go on that area which are printed with "advertiser sponsored" messages. Google first! :D

1.5 inches of narrow 3M Scotch brand tape.

Rocketman

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
I hate how people feel it's their God-given right to use an iPhone. Apple already offers to buy the phone back from you at full cost if you're not happy with it, I don't see why they even need to hold this press conference. People need to realise that there are bigger worries in life.

RageRoyalty

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2010
White iPhone 4

I wonder if this whole antennae issue will have any effect in the launch in the white iphone.. :eek:

zunnun

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2010
Canada

The Wall Street Journal reports that Apple is not planning on issuing an iPhone 4 recall at tomorrow's press conference.Apple engineers were apparently aware of the risks associated with the external antenna design but "Mr. Jobs liked the design so much that Apple went ahead with its development".
publishing an open letter to Steve Jobs expressing concerns about the issue. Schumer is known for his efforts in consumer protection.

Apple is holding a press conference tomorrow to address the issue.

Article Link: Apple Not Planning an iPhone 4 Recall

beauty kills the beast !

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

As I've said before, you don't recall a non-dangerous product that the vast majority of buyers are very happy with. You let dissatisfied customers return/repair/exchange, but it has never made one ounce of sense that they would recall a safe product over an issue that many people don't experience.

brownieguy19

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
I'm with Jobs. My phone works just fine and I am able to make calls in my home that I was never able to make with the 3GS.

The more people that don't buy it, the less time I have to wait next year for iPhone 5.

rumorswtcf

macrumors regular
May 17, 2010
Edinburgh, UK
We are absolutely not going to see a recall of iPhone 4.

I think the free bumper rumors might be an accurate route. At best, in my opinion, Apple will release a minor hardware update - perhaps one that could be performed in an Apple Store?

just a guess, but I'm not an engineer (thank god)

Zortrium

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
"Mr. Jobs liked the design so much that Apple went ahead with its development".

Well, the phone may not work very well, but damnit, it'll be stylish. Mission accomplished.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.