Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

juan370Z

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2010
Ok so obviously the. Update i's out I want to jb my iPhone. But I don't know if updating i's going to compromise my future jb any toughts?

medicscott

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2009
san diego
if you wanna unlock your phone, dont update

if you just wanna jb your device, back up your shsh blobs using tinyumbrella, then its safe to upgrade, according to @comex

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
There is no reason to upgrade at this point, and MuscleNerd has recommended against it. I would hold off for now.

You do realize that this update is just a placebo, right? It will have no effect on how well your phone actually works, just on how many bars you see.

Arisian

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
China
Safe to update, for Jailbreaking and Unlocking.

http://twitter.com/comex

By no means am I disagreeing with you - however the dev team actually seems to be split on this subject, which is interesting.

PlanetBeing said:
Still encourage you not to update to 4.0.1 however, but if you missed getting a 4.0 SHSH, you can get ones for 4.0.1.

... that literally coming RIGHT AFTER he retweeted what comex said:

Comex said:
I lied. Apparently there is no baseband update for some reason, so feel free to update to 4.0.1 if you're on 4.0

and the last thing MuscleNerd said, though being pretty silent on the issue is :

Musclenerd said:
Obviously avoid today's 4.0.1 update until JB tools are updated. Luckily, no baseband change so ultrasn0w lives on :)

Seems like people would be ok if they update to 4.0.1 (w/ 4.0 shsh on file) but the Dev Team seems split on the subject - I would also assume that comex would know best since he's working on the JB - but there seems to be no point to the upgrade other than the signal bar gfx and formula changes

Again, sorry for another 'useless' comment :D

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
What the hell is everyone's hurry? This is a completely useless update, and waiting a day or two will give much more clarity about what it contains and whether it is a good idea to upgrade. Just hold your horses.

sloppygator2013

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
What the hell is everyone's hurry? This is a completely useless update, and waiting a day or two will give much more clarity about what it contains and whether it is a good idea to upgrade. Just hold your horses.

+1 thank god. I thought I was the only one left on the board with a brain.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
+1 thank god. I thought I was the only one left on the board with a brain.

There are many of us who understand this.

Most of the "can't wait" crowd are the young, new to jailbreaking group who have never waited for anything in their life.

Let them do it. There is already a thread here on how to downgrade back to 4.0, why am I not surprised.

narimonk

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2010
Sacramento, CA
Ok so obviously the. Update i's out I want to jb my iPhone. But I don't know if updating i's going to compromise my future jb any toughts?

Take it from an Apple tech, this update is a BAD IDEA. It wasn't thoroughly tested, hell it barely recieved any testing. Has caused 3 confirmed cases of unfixable bricking (at my store), and solves nothing. just STAY AS FAR AWAY FROM IT AS PHYSICALLY POSSIBLE!!

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Take it from an Apple tech, this update is a BAD IDEA. It wasn't thoroughly tested, hell it barely recieved any testing. Has caused 3 confirmed cases of unfixable bricking (at my store), and solves nothing. just STAY AS FAR AWAY FROM IT AS PHYSICALLY POSSIBLE!!

It is not possible to brick an iPhone by updating the firmware. Barring hardware failure, it is always possible to put the phone in DFU mode and restore to the latest firmware. Period.

narimonk

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2010
Sacramento, CA
It is not possible to brick an iPhone by updating the firmware. Barring hardware failure, it is always possible to put the phone in DFU mode and restore to the latest firmware. Period.

I should have eluded to my point properly, please excuse me. My theory as to these cases of bricking, was that some bug in the software caused hardware failure, it was the only explanation the other techs and I could come to.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
I should have eluded to my point properly, please excuse me. My theory as to these cases of bricking, was that some bug in the software caused hardware failure, it was the only explanation the other techs and I could come to.

Total BS. If the phone could not be put in DFU mode, it had a preexisting hardware failure that had nothing to do with 4.0.1. Nothing in 4.0.1 could possibly cause that kind of hardware failure. Please stop spreading this nonsense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.