Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kdesign7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
earth, for now.
Ok, so I plugged my iPad into the computer to begin the restoring process.

It sync'd with iTunes fine. I selected the restore button, and then it began to restore. The iPad holds up on the Black screen with the Apple logo, and the progression bar. The bar is just past the Apple Logo, but goes no further.

iTunes has a popup saying "Restoring iPad Software" and the progression bar is nearly 100%. I'd say it's 95%, and doesn't go any further.

I've been able to force quiet iTunes, and the iPad comes back to the screen with the iTunes logo, and the USB chord, directing me to connect to iTunes to go any further. When I do this, iTunes tells me the iPad needs to be restored in order to go any further, then the cycle starts all over. The iPad begins to restore, hangs up during the progress... and doesn't go any further.

I've tried the holding the home & power button, but that doesn't fix it either.

The reason I restored was, after jailbreaking, I noticed my screen was out of calibration.

Anyone have some solutions, or redirect me somewhere that has more info on this... that would be great!

Thanks a bunch in advance!

Jare

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2010
Canada
Ok, so I plugged my iPad into the computer to begin the restoring process.

It sync'd with iTunes fine. I selected the restore button, and then it began to restore. The iPad holds up on the Black screen with the Apple logo, and the progression bar. The bar is just past the Apple Logo, but goes no further.

iTunes has a popup saying "Restoring iPad Software" and the progression bar is nearly 100%. I'd say it's 95%, and doesn't go any further.

I've been able to force quiet iTunes, and the iPad comes back to the screen with the iTunes logo, and the USB chord, directing me to connect to iTunes to go any further. When I do this, iTunes tells me the iPad needs to be restored in order to go any further, then the cycle starts all over. The iPad begins to restore, hangs up during the progress... and doesn't go any further.

I've tried the holding the home & power button, but that doesn't fix it either.

The reason I restored was, after jailbreaking, I noticed my screen was out of calibration.

Anyone have some solutions, or redirect me somewhere that has more info on this... that would be great!

Thanks a bunch in advance!

Lemme guess you installed wifi sync? Remove the program that goes with it on your pc and restart.

Jare

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2010
Canada
Wow

your good... I didnt even mention wifi sync, but I do have it installed

Alrite, let me try that.. and see how it works!

wifi sync causes a bug when you restore an idevice with it on your pc still. Remove it and restart the computer and all is well.

kdesign7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
earth, for now.
wifi sync causes a bug when you restore an idevice with it on your pc still. Remove it and restart the computer and all is well.

Aaah! Your brilliant! That solution totally worked! I would have never of guessed that the culprit was WiFi Sync. I had only used it once or twice, just for the sake of wirelessly syncing, but maybe not so much now.

I have my iPad in restore right now, backing up all my contacts, bookmarks, etc..etc..

Thank you greatly for your help!

Geoff.

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2009
He removed the wifi sync program from his pc, not the one on his device I'm presuming.

Wifi sync requires it to be installed on the idevice and your pc

peter960

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2010
Thanks from me as well

I've registered on this forum just to thank Jare. I had this exact problem when installing yesterdays firmware update on my girlfriend's Ipad.

While she was blissfully sleeping I was tearing my hair out trying to work out why the update was hanging right at the end. At 3am I gave up and prepared to give her the bad news in the morning.

I stumbled upon this thread today and I did indeed have wifi sync installed on my MBP although I've never used it after the first few tries.

Uninstalled that and update and restore went smoothly.

Thanks for saving me a trip to the Genius Bar on the only day I have off for weeks!

lokaydokay

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2010
Worked for me

Thanks. Uninstalling WiFi Sync solved the problem. I was able to restore my iPad with no problem.

tellyaddict

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2010
Restoring iPad

Wow. Thanks for this. Spent a couple of hours today trying and failing to restore my iPad. Was just about to book an appointment at ,y local Genius Bar then found this thread. Uninstalled WiFiSync ( which I'd totally forgotten about because it was from a previous jailbroken iPhone ) and then restore worked exactly as it should. Who would have thought a JB'd out of use App that never showed up in iTunes could have this impact?

swisherdgr8

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2009
No uninstaller needed

I didn't know there was an uninstaller, so I had to figure out where the files were. There was nothing for it in the Applications folder or System Preferences. So being the smart cookie I am, I opened up Activity Monitor, found the wifi sync process, and opened the inspector. There's a section that lists the files that it uses, and they all listed it under /Library/Application Support/Wi-fi Sync. So I deleted that folder and it was gone. Then my iPad restore worked perfectly! :cool:

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
Wow

your good... I didnt even mention wifi sync, but I do have it installed

Alrite, let me try that.. and see how it works!

It's been a known issue with WiFi Sync that the restore process hangs indefinitely. As for the screen calibration issue, I bet you have OpenSSH installed.

Wait a minute!!!

WHO PULLED THIS THREAD FROM THE RECYCLE BIN?!? XD

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.