Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Did you do this?

• Yes, it worked.

Votes: 103 16.6%
  • Yes, it didn't work.

Votes: 42 6.8%
  • No, I'm sticking with 2gb/200mb

Votes: 107 17.3%
  • No, I already have unlimited.

Votes: 367 59.3%

• Total voters

Nrwrit3r

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 25, 2010
ALL CREDIT GOES TO GADGET88

Guide written by Nrwrit3r (me)

----

Items needed:

"Dumb" phone, with the IMEI number (found in the battery casing) - This can be bought as a "go" phone from any radioshack, at&t store, walmart, ect for $30.

iPhone sim information (found in general--> settings --> ICCID, write this down as you will be using the iPhone to call at&t)

Access to your account for at&t

----

- Call 611 on your phone

- Click 1, 0, 0 (this is the series of #s you'll type in even if you listen to the automated voice)

- When you get to an at&t rep, tell them you want to switch from your iPhone 4 to a non smart phone. Also tell them you have an adaptor to make the micro sim work in your non smart phone (they will tell you it may not work, just tell them you want to do it anyway).

- Give the IMEI number of the non smart phone

- Give the SIM number of the iPhone (have this written down beforehand since you're on your phone)

- Everything should be set. They should confirm it's been switched.

- Ask for the $30 unlimited texting, email, and data phone ***for non smart phones*** If you have a plan with unlimited messaging, you will need to disable this (you can add 200 msgs temporary for $5 per line), and follow the rest of the guide. If you have it enabled you can't select this $30 non smart phone plan. You can re-enable it after you have unlimited 3g data in 2-3 hours.

- After it is set, hang up.

- You don't even need to turn on the non smart phone. Make a call from your iPhone. This will make the system realize you're still using it.

- You will get 2 texts from At&t (within 2-3ish hours):

Message 1:

"At&t free msg: did you know an eligible dat plan is required for your iPhone? Call 611 or visit att.com/iPhoneplans for details."

Message 2:
"At&t free msg: Your iPhone requires an eligible data plan. We have added an appropriate plan and messaging pkg. Call 611 or go to att.com/iPhone plans for info"

You'll also get an email saying the same thing.

If you log into your account on At&t's site you'll see that you currently have the $30 plan for non smart phones for unlimited data/messaging/email selected. Wait a few hours, and it will automatically change to $30 unlimited 3g data since you have an iPhone.

^ You will get a text message (this is a 3rd message) in 2-3 hours notifying you that you have the unlimited 3g data plan.

Welcome to the unlimited club :) If you disabled unlimited messaging, re-enable after the change has been completed.

**If you have not received info of the change after 4 hours, see below**

I had an issue, where although others were getting the texts and having their 3g unlimited plans activated, I was not. I got the texts saying a plan was chosen for me, but I logged in online and was still on the $30 dummy plan. I called at&t. I told them I had switched to my dumb phone, and then was switching back to my iPhone (please note I had already done all of the steps listed above, so this was my 2nd call to at&t). I told him I wanted my unlimited plan transfered back to my iPhone 4. He did it! He had to enable 200mb plan for the iPhone and then change it to unlimited, but he did it. So, if you haven't received that confirmation text, try calling at&t and telling them you're switching back to your iPhone (this is after you've called and switched to the dummy phone).

^ Try mentioning that you'd done something like this before, and the last rep had to enable the 200mb plan THEN switch you to unlimited.

Haha he said a survey would be coming and asked if he got a 10/10, I said yes. I have a feeling he knew exactly what I was doing ;)

----

ALL credit goes to gadget88 for this thread.

Goldinboy17

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2010
San Francisco, Ca
Question, changing my plan doesn't take effect until the start of the new billing cycle it says. If I change it now, and call today, would I still be able to do this? I'm referring to me taking off texts on our family plan.

CJayC

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2010
Just finished all the steps. I'll update my post with results.

Edit: WORKS!! Checked the ATT website and I confirmed it IS unlimited data.

Tom G.

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Champaign/Urbana Illinois
You realize of course that you are cheating AT&T and what you are proposing people do is actually against the law in many if not most parts of the country.

You also realize that you have posted these instructions for committing fraud on a public forum that is most likely/very likely visited by AT&T personnel who will report your little scam.

Remember all those people who thought they could get away downloading music for free and felt sure they could get away with it?

Just a word to the wise.

Nrwrit3r

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 25, 2010
You realize of course that you are cheating AT&T and what you are proposing people do is actually against the law in many if not most parts of the country.

You also realize that you have posted these instructions for committing fraud on a public forum that is most likely/very likely visited by AT&T personnel who will report your little scam.

Remember all those people who thought they could get away downloading music for free and felt sure they could get away with it?

Just a word to the wise.

That's completely different, because downloading music illegally is not a loophole. People can change their phones whenever they want; if they change to a non smart phone and decide not to use it, then change back to an iphone, and happen to get unlimited data? No biggie.

Don't forget you're not getting free unlimited...you still have to pay $30/month. So you're using a loophole to buy a service that isn't offered to some people but is to others. So it's more like finding a song on iTunes that was taken down and somehow being able to buy it.

Block

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007

Just a word to the wise.

Good luck convincing a jury that it is fraud when all the activities that these loop hole users are engaging in are within legal bounds and it is AT&T and not the user who has placed the subscription on the account.

I can understand that you may be frustrated that some people may be gaming the system but telling outright lies to try and deceive people into not doing so isn't the way to go.

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory

Just a word to the wise.

You're from Illinois ............................. man this is just too good and can't be for real.

Everyone ....... think of a special line from The Blues Brothers :D

You could also be Dr. Kavanagh (Stargate Atlantis) ;)

xLucky7

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
Some1 in the other thread said unlimited data on a non-smart phone was $15. Couldnt u just add that to your line, then put the sim into an iPhone 4 and ull get the same text saying uv been upgraded to Unlimited Data plan?

Nrwrit3r

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Some1 in the other thread said unlimited data on a non-smart phone was $15. Couldnt u just add that to your line, then put the sim into an iPhone 4 and ull get the same text saying uv been upgraded to Unlimited Data plan?

No, this doesn't work. This is why you must cancel your unlimited messaging in order to do this (then the $30 messaging+data bundle appears).

jellis

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2006

Just a word to the wise.

I would say that this is dishonest, but I don't believe it is illegal in any state.

Please provide the statutes if you can find them.

xLucky7

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
O cus i think my mom has unlimited texting already on our family plan. So all i would have to do is cancel that, then add 200 txt for 3 other lines and the 30$ one on mine, then after its all done change it back to unlimited text? Would this cost more money than usual? And can it be done all in one day?

Also, could i just do this online? really dont feel like calling AT&T.. if not might just get a used 2G and use that method.

Nrwrit3r

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 25, 2010
O cus i think my mom has unlimited texting already on our family plan. So all i would have to do is cancel that, then add 200 txt for 3 other lines and the 30$ one on mine, then after its all done change it back to unlimited text? Would this cost more money than usual? And can it be done all in one day?

Also, could i just do this online? really dont feel like calling AT&T.. if not might just get a used 2G and use that method.

Yes, cancel it and add 200 txt (or tell them not to text for 2-3 hrs).

Add the $30 one, and follow the instructions. Yes you have to call at&t because you can't do the IMEI number of the non smart phone online - they have to activate it. Honestly takes 1 minute to get to a rep if you click the #s on the phone that I posted.

It can be done in 4 hrs.

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL

Just a word to the wise.
I love all the would be lawyers around here dropping words like "fraud" and "illegal" when they haven't got a clue. If what you say is true all the "AT&T personnel" hiding here would have ended the other "trick" long ago. Please post the text of the law which prohibits switching phones and plans and how giving AT&T $5 more per month is "illegal."

votnet

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2010
Voice mail

What about voice mail? Would they change the voice mail for use on dumb phone, so the visual voice mail will not work on iPhone anymore?

Nrwrit3r

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 25, 2010
What about voice mail? Would they change the voice mail for use on dumb phone, so the visual voice mail will not work on iPhone anymore?

Maybe for the 2 hours you end up waiting, but after it changes your plan to the iPhone plan, you'll be in the same situation as a normal iphone user who has unlimited data and visual voicemail.

wvphysics

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010

Just a word to the wise.

Music has a copyright associated with it. It is the copyright that makes it illegal. This is a loophole in a civil contract. Chances are, law has not caught up to technology and has no precedence.

Ghostmayne

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2010

go do your homework junior.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010

yep....I remember them....and not a thing has changed. Free music is free music and is available just about everywhere if one simply knows where to go. I think many, many more today now know where to go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.