Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
0714101horns1.jpg

That's horrendous.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Several companies I've worked at, if this guy knew his stuff and was able to do the job well, they'd give him a position no problem.

Considering the amount of anti-racist education out there, that we've all learnt to grow up and not judge people in the corporate world by their skin colour, race, creed, sexuality, or disability, it saddens me to see how many people just reject someone on the basis of how they look.

What would you do if faced with someone highly skilled, maybe more skilled than you, who just happens to look different? How is slagging this guy off different to being racist?

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
I think that looks quite cool TBH. Wouldn't do it to myself, but each to their own eh?

And speaking as a business owner I'd quite happily hire him if he were articulate and possessed the knowledge my customers need.

mags631

Mar 6, 2007
Several companies I've worked at, if this guy knew his stuff and was able to do the job well, they'd give him a position no problem.

Considering the amount of anti-racist education out there, that we've all learnt to grow up and not judge people in the corporate world by their skin colour, race, creed, sexuality, or disability, it saddens me to see how many people just reject someone on the basis of how they look.

What would you do if faced with someone highly skilled, maybe more skilled than you, who just happens to look different? How is slagging this guy off different to being racist?

Right, but this guy is choosing to look like a demon, which in most cultures (at least Western ones and the one that he lives in) is supposed to be evil. Evil is the opposite of Good. So no, I wouldn't hire someone who is outwardly telling me that they believe in Evil: lying, deceit, hurting others, ...

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
I'm all for basing judgment more on skills and character than appearance in a hiring/business situation. However, in case some of you didn't notice, this photo is from The Smoking Gun, known for its weekly roundups of bizarre mugshots. Yes, that's right, this is a crime booking photo.

Before you hire that quirky yet articulate and knowledgeable fellow-- or before you hire that slickly groomed, suave Ivy League grad-- do a background check.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Right, but this guy is choosing to look like a demon, which in most cultures (at least Western ones and the one that he lives in) is supposed to be evil. Evil is the opposite of Good. So no, I wouldn't hire someone who is outwardly telling me that they believe in Evil: lying, deceit, hurting others, ...
He's choosing to look reptilian rather than demonic as I see it. Nothing evil about an iguana.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..

Are you being sarcastic? That's like something a 5 year old would say. Even my own 5 year old daughter would call that a little simplistic. She loves spiders and snakes and beetles, even if they 'look creepy crawly'.

this guy is choosing to look like a demon
Perhaps you mean daemon? Daemons are helpful little background processes that run around in most UNIX systems, including your own mac, and do all sorts of useful little things behind the scenes - on startup, when logging in, printing etc.

Likewise there's more people who look like him than you think, doing all sorts of useful things behind the scenes. I'd rather trust the contents of my wallet to someone who looks like him (smoking gun website or not) than the board of trustees/ CEO of a bank or BP. Look what they've done to us all.

niuniu

macrumors 68020
A lot of the times it just ends up looking nasty - or a mess. But this is really professionally done. I think the eyebrows especially look wicked! I like that it's symmetrical as well which really helps with bodywork- it's more pleasing to the eye.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Why is an earring more acceptable than one in the region between his eyes?

If I saw that guy, I'd probably do a double-, triple-, or quadruple-take and be a bit nervous for like......a few minutes. Then I'd tell myself to get over it and act like an adult. If he's a creep or someone I don't like, I'll find out by talking to him. There are lots of people who I don't like, and it's not because of the jewellery, or lack of.

I'm not saying I wouldn't be a bit rude at first meeting. I'd be startled at first because I'm not used to all of "that", but again, I'd get over it.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
I'd probably break out in a big grin, then if he didn't punch me for doing that go over and talk to the guy. Those poppers under the horns must be to attach something. Just from the photo I'm intrigued to find out what :)

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
I've had drinks in the pub with people who look far more wierd and messed up than him. The first 5 minutes were difficult, then you just tune it out and start focussing on the person. Just like talking to someone with a very obvious disability. Next you'll be saying don't hire disabled people.

I grew up in an almost completely white town, with 1 single black person and one single asian man out of 20,000 white people. Everyone knew them. I didn't know the black guys name, but the asian guy was called Indian Billy. Yeah I know.

When I moved to the city and started working with people of different colours, it was hard at first as it was new to me, but you know, I adjusted. Had a black partner for a while and all that. So can you.

Rt&Dzine

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2008
It's frivolous like much of the cosmetic surgery that's done these days. But if that's how you want to spend your time and money . . .

iowamensan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2006

The biggest difference is that being of a different race is something that one cannot control, so being treated differently because of that is unfair. This guy is going out of his way to look like a freaktard, so he can't cry foul if people treat him like the douchenozzle he appears to be.

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
i dont see any difference between this chap and say someone like michael jackson or the raft of celebs that have cosmetic surgery. id have thought we as a race arent that shallow anymore. at least hes not a lemming

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
The biggest difference is that being of a different race is something that one cannot control, so being treated differently because of that is unfair. This guy is going out of his way to look like a freaktard, so he can't cry foul if people treat him like the douchenozzle he appears to be.
You appear to live in a very very sheltered part of the planet. He doesn't look like either a "freaktard" or a "douchenozzle". More than anything he looks like someone who works in a tattoo parlour.

But I reserve judgement as to what he does for a living. For all we know he's an Internet millionaire.

niuniu

macrumors 68020
Wow, just wow.:eek: If I was a business owner, no way would I hire him.

I am a (small) business owner, and I would hire him, but not for customer facing work - he could do content management, accounts etc- back office work. Can do customer service, procurement, b2b over the phone.. lots of jobs he can do.

But I'm sure a guy like that wouldn't want to do something boring. He probably has his own business doing tats or piercings etc and has a decent income from that and no stress either I'd imagine.

Loosen up, don't be a

Square.gif

:D

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
The very fact that he tried to kill someone - I wouldn't hire him.

I made a game once that celebrated Satan (in a way), I might have hired him for PR work :D.

cdcastillo

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
The cesspit of civilization
... How do you even get a job looking like this?

Maybe in the states this would be difficult, but do not assume it is so in the whole world. I know some guys in my hospital that look almost (I mean, similar but without the horns) like him, and they do their work like any other.

Aren't you a little prejudiced? But then again, aren't we all? Just for different aspects, but we all are.

That-Is-Bull

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
Edmond, Oklahoma

Those are things you're born with. This guy did all this stupid **** to himself by choice.

Decisions speak. Race and sexual orientation mean nothing because they're not decisions.

Shotgun OS

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2006
Ohio
Aside from the fact that he tried to kill someone, this guy doesn't look bad at all. A bit odd, but I've seen far worse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.