Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zub3qin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
If something sounds too good to be true, it often is.

Gazelle, unfortunately, has turned out to be so. They are a bait and switch operation. I agreed to $120 for my good condition iPhone 3G 8GB and after sitting on my phone for over 2 weeks, they finally offered me $50 today.

I sent in my iPhone 3G 8GB- I reported it in good condition (not excellent) due to light scuffs- although it really was in better than good condition.

I was promised a price of $120 (this was just before iPhone 4 came out by the way). Low, yes, as craigslist was around $250... but no hassle sale with shipping included made it worthwhile to me.

Of course, after iPhone 4 came out, prices for 3G's fell. Gazelle is supposed to lock in the price for 20 days. I and others have been very concerned to see if Gazelle would keep their promised price.

I sent the phone back in the original packaging with all original accessories, by Priority Mail. It had a shipping time of 3 days. Gazelle sat on it for over 15 days. I tried several times to email and webchat (no phone number) to show them tracking info for the phone so they couldn't blame me for not getting it to them in time and then use that as an excuse to drop the price.

Finally today, they acknowledged that I got the phone to them in time, but they are now offering only $50 for it-- as they are calling it POOR condition. Their definition of POOR condition is "major cracks, scratches and dents" - trust me my iPhone has none of the above.

I am giving you my word that all this phone has wrong with it are the very faint scuffs from sitting in a cloth pocket. That is it.

Bait and switch-- and just what I was expecting. Probably since they got so many iPhones sent in.

Needless to say, I am not using them anymore. I know many people have had good experiences with them, but I think they aren't entirely honest between trying to run down the clock on the agreed price and then saying it is in far worse condition than it is.

I told them to send it back to me. Screw them.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
If something sounds too good to be true, it often is.

Gazelle, unfortunately, has turned out to be so. They are a bait and switch operation. I agreed to $120 for my good condition iPhone 3G 8GB and after sitting on my phone for over 2 weeks, they finally offered me $50 today.

I sent in my iPhone 3G 8GB- I reported it in good condition (not excellent) due to light scuffs- although it really was in better than good condition.

I was promised a price of $122 (this was just before iPhone 4 came out by the way). Low, yes, as craigslist was around $250... but no hassle sale with shipping included made it worthwhile to me.

Of course, after iPhone 4 came out, prices for 3G's fell. Gazelle is supposed to lock in the price for 20 days. I and others have been very concerned to see if Gazelle would keep their promised price.

I sent the phone back in the original packaging with all original accessories, by Priority Mail. It had a shipping time of 3 days. Gazelle sat on it for over 15 days. I tried several times to email and webchat (no phone number) to show them tracking info for the phone so they couldn't blame me for not getting it to them in time and then use that as an excuse to drop the price.

Finally today, they acknowledged that I got the phone to them in time, but they are now offering only $50 for it-- as they are calling it POOR condition. Their definition of POOR condition is "major cracks, scratches and dents" - trust me my iPhone has none of the above.

I am giving you my word that all this phone has wrong with it are the very faint scuffs from sitting in a cloth pocket. That is it.

Bait and switch-- and just what I was expecting. Probably since they got so many iPhones sent in.

Needless to say, I am not using them anymore. I know many people have had good experiences with them, but I think they aren't entirely honest between trying to run down the clock on the agreed price and then saying it is in far worse condition than it is.

I had the same exact problem with cexchange. I threatened legal action and now they are offering the agreed upon price $354.

bushbaby

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2007
SoCal
I was promised a little less than that and then after they sat on it they claimed it was not in perfect condition (it was - had a case the entire time, not a scratch). Because there is no way to contact anyone to question this, I had two choices - take it or leave it. Since they ran down the clock and the value had now gone down for me to get it back and resell, I just took the amount.

Just curious, how did you even threaten a suit since there is no way to email them?

TSX

macrumors 68030
Oct 1, 2008
Texas
I was promised a little less than that and then after they sat on it they claimed it was not in perfect condition (it was - had a case the entire time, not a scratch). Because there is no way to contact anyone to question this, I had two choices - take it or leave it. Since they ran down the clock and the value had now gone down for me to get it back and resell, I just took the amount.

Too me it sounds like screwing people is what they do. And apparently there are people like bushbaby that fall for it

pittpanthersfan

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2009
This is surprising.

I sold them my LG Voyager in February for maybe $90. A completely hassle-free experience. :confused:

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY

Just curious, how did you even threaten a suit since there is no way to email them?

I didn't use Gazelle. I used cexchange. They have an email address and they do respond. I sent them an iPhone 3GS 32GB that was an Apple replacement anout 5 days old. It was in a Speck wrap around case AND a leather holster. So, when they claimed mine was 'scuffed' I told them send it back or give me the agreed upon amount. I also mentioned that I would notify ALL the forums of their poor customer service as well. As for you, try using Planet Feedback to complain. Its amazing how quickly companies respond when their reputation is on the line!

Reactions: jonathanInMI

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
I've used their service multiple times without a problem, until now. They downgraded my phone.

Their definition of good is as follows: The item has evidence of normal use, such as light scratches, nicks, and scuffs, but is otherwise in 100% functional condition.

They downgraded my phone because of:
Your item had a few light scratches on the back surface.
Your item had a few light nicks on the corners of the housing.

I filed a complaint with the BBB. I don't expect anything do come from it, but its the only way I can make a point. I'd suggest everyone do the same.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
I've used their service multiple times without a problem, until now. They downgraded my phone.

Their definition of good is as follows: The item has evidence of normal use, such as light scratches, nicks, and scuffs, but is otherwise in 100% functional condition.

They downgraded my phone because of:
Your item had a few light scratches on the back surface.
Your item had a few light nicks on the corners of the housing.

I filed a complaint with the BBB. I don't expect anything do come from it, but its the only way I can make a point. I'd suggest everyone do the same.

Forget BBB. Try Planet Feedback. They are a great place to air complaints and if they have an email address to the company's corporate, they will email them a copy of your complaint and better responses will occur.

barefeats

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2000
I got a quote of $299 for a 3GS on June 13th. It did not arrive at Gazelle until July 13th (my fault). The next day they notified me that the full amount will be sent to my paypal acct in a few days. Assuming they follow through, I have to give them high marks.

zub3qin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2007

I think Gazelle used to be good but they were so overwhelmed with iPhone trade ins before iPhone 4, that they decided they would effectively cancel orders by denying the original price or waiting so long they say the offer expired.

They should have never approved the price in the first place if they didn't think that they would be able to pay. This company may make a quick buck now, but they won't be around for long....

geko29

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2008
I had the same exact problem with cexchange. I threatened legal action and now they are offering the agreed upon price $354.

I had an issue with cexchange as well, but worked it out without threats. :) I sent them one 3G and one 3GS, both in perfect condition (polished so I could see my face in both sides and verify zero scratches anywhere). When they eventually got to them after a month (I understand the delay, due to volume), they said that both were moderate wear, as opposed to the light wear. So far, nothing that can't be amicably negotiated about.

Where it got weird was, they said I specified an incorrect item, and sent a 16GB 3G instead of the 16GB 3GS, and that my other item was also incorrect, having sent a 16GB 3GS instead of the 16GB 3G on the order. So both were evaluated at the "updated" prices, which were less than half of what they were when I shipped them out. They also said one did not include the charger (after the above mixup, I'm not sure which phone they were referring to).

So I sent a little nastygram illustrating the mistake/dishonesty, and they got back to me a day or so later, saying I could have the full $520.91 I was originally quoted via paypal, or get the phones back. Obviously, I took the cash. :D

bushbaby

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2007
SoCal
I think Gazelle used to be good but they were so overwhelmed with iPhone trade ins before iPhone 4, that they decided they would effectively cancel orders by denying the original price or waiting so long they say the offer expired.

They should have never approved the price in the first place if they didn't think that they would be able to pay. This company may make a quick buck now, but they won't be around for long....

Yes, I agree. Leo Laporte, the Tech Guy, endorsed them, so they seemed reputable.

zub3qin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
There's a bunch of negative threads about them lately. Next time ask and search around before you send in your stuff. I'd tell everyone to avoid them.

I actually did research them before sending in- this was about one month ago.
All the negative threads seem to have started this month.

But good advice in general.

Prolif1k

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2009
I had no problem trading in 2 3G's and a 3GS to them. Maybe you overestimated the condition of your phone and are now upset about it? I've traded plenty of stuff to them before and had no issues with downgrading of value and didn't have any problem this time. Most of these complaints come from people who think their phone was wrongly downgraded. I think people just think they deserve a better condition rating than what their phone actually is.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I actually did research them before sending in- this was about one month ago.
All the negative threads seem to have started this month.

But good advice in general.

Yes, a month or so ago there has been alot.
But I wouldnt trust something like that in general.
Hope they still send you your iphone back.
There has been stories where people still didnt get their items back after they didnt reach an agreement.

Robby C

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
Atlanta

I'm curious to know whether or not they are going to actually send YOUR phone back. Did you by any chance right down the serial number before you sent it? Just so you can verify that you are in fact receiving your property? Not someone else's beat to **** 3G.

dennisjr631

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2009
I purchased a palm pixi plus off of eBay for $140. It was brand new in box and never used. I decided to get the iphone 4 and left verizon. Gazelle gave me a quote of $134. After they received the phone they said the condition was not perfect(scuffs). It was brand new and was perfect. They offered me $119. I will never use them again.

ARF900

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2009
Make a fake email account with a strong sounding name like a lawyer would have. Then pick a random law firm and make the email @LAWFIRMHERE

Then email them pretending to be a lawyer speaking on your behalf.

stahl7639

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2010
This is very surprising due to the fact that my local news station recently aired a piece on Gazelle and how wonderful a company it is. It sucks to hear this.:(

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
I used Gazelle to sell my iPhone 3GS 32GB. I locked in my price about two weeks before the iPhone 4 shipped. (Gazelle gives you 30 days to get the gadget to them.) At the time I locked my price, Gazelle was quoting a buy price of $272 for my 32GB 3GS in GOOD condition. I also had a coupon code for an additional 10% which boosted the quote to $299.20.

Fast forward to the day I received my iPhone 4 and Gazelle's site was quoting about $100 less for a 32GB 3GS. Frankly, given how much the price had dropped in that two weeks, I fully expected Gazelle to lowball me.

They didn't! After they received my iPhone and evaluated it, they notified me that I would be getting a check for the full $299.20. That check was mailed earlier this week.

My only complaint about Gazelle was that it took them about 6 days to evaluate my iPhone once they received it and then it took them another week before they mailed the check. But, other than that, selling to Gazelle was a fantastic experience! I'll use them again!

Mark

hipvamore

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2008
CT
yeah screw gazelle i wouldnt recommend ever. you're not the only one man. that sucks a waste of a couple weeks when you could have sold is somewhere else

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.