Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

willem

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2008
spain
Did anybody experience yet some other "macbook cracks"

The cracks are caused by the magnets that shut the lid?
I had and have that problem too...
Did anybody experience yet some other "macbook cracks"
such as bluetooth not available...
or disk driver error...

Ankit1088

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2008
Don't know what to do

Until today, I had the Early-2008 13" MacBook.

It had 3 palm-rest replacements due to the cracking issue. Each one around 6 months apart. With the 3rd one, I complained via email to executive relations and they got in touch the next day asking if they could give me a call.

Two days after the call, I have a brand new uMB and they are giving me one week to transfer my data from the old MB before collecting it.

Absolutely stunning, first class service as usual.

I have the same issue with my Mid 2007 Macbook and this is the 5th time it has happened to mine. I called thinking I may get a replacement, but no they acted clueless and said I just need to take it in and get it repaired again. So I replied with "What am I supposed to do come in ever few months and get my Macbook fixed?" He really didn't have an answer for that. When I did call the back when I got ut fixed 4th time the guy said something about replacement. My question was did you have Apple Care? I don't but they have fixed my Macbook 3 times after my 1 year warranty was already complete.

PS the guy even was like try closing your lid more softly...I can say for myself i take the utmost care of my computer, but this is ridiculous...

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
I have the same issue with my Mid 2007 Macbook and this is the 5th time it has happened to mine. I called thinking I may get a replacement, but no they acted clueless and said I just need to take it in and get it repaired again. So I replied with "What am I supposed to do come in ever few months and get my Macbook fixed?" He really didn't have an answer for that. When I did call the back when I got ut fixed 4th time the guy said something about replacement. My question was did you have Apple Care? I don't but they have fixed my Macbook 3 times after my 1 year warranty was already complete.

PS the guy even was like try closing your lid more softly...I can say for myself i take the utmost care of my computer, but this is ridiculous...

Hmm, my sister's MacBook is an early 2008 model, and it never got palmrest cracks.:(

Cancelled
May 21, 2009
My wife decided to keep the white MB, she had me cancel the auction. I don't think we or anyone has a problem with the cracking provided that Apple fixes it without hassle.

In our case, we had nothing but problems with the local Apple store in getting this fixed. Needless to say we will not be darkening their doorstep any time soon. After a long talk with their customer service dept (executive relations), it was clarified repeatedly that Apple's warranty and extended warranty (Applecare) do indeed cover cracking cases provided it was not user-damage. The rep we spoke to reiterated this fact more than once and advised us to contact Applecare should we have any problems getting resolve in the future.

When we got this Macbook, I do not recall it ever getting so hot as it did this last few months--my guess is the repeated repairs possibly fouled up something in the process. After the 2nd plastic replacement is when we began to notice the heat discoloration. I would advise anyone to call Apple customer service (Apple care) to get your Mac looked at if it is in warranty and you have problems getting repairs at the stores.

lovesgadgets

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
this has happened twice to my 07 macbook -- once within the first year and again last week. genius bar replaced case and keyboard both times within the half hour and no charge. i was covered under apple care both times but when i asked what would happen should this crack AGAIN, the genius bar tech said two very reassuring things: 1, this shouldn't happen again because there were upgrades done to the palmrest piece that include some kind of reinforcement under the trouble zones, and 2, if it did happen again and i was no longer covered under apple care, i would still be ok for about another 2 years (after 5 years apparently your machine is filed as 'vintage' and apple no longer takes care of you)

sndivous

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2010
Bloomington, IN
HELP: 4th top-casing crack!

Until today, I had the Early-2008 13" MacBook.

It had 3 palm-rest replacements due to the cracking issue. Each one around 6 months apart. With the 3rd one, I complained via email to executive relations and they got in touch the next day asking if they could give me a call.

Two days after the call, I have a brand new uMB and they are giving me one week to transfer my data from the old MB before collecting it.

Absolutely stunning, first class service as usual.

Would you mind passing on the contact information for the "executive relations"? Did you email Steve Jobs directly?

I am on my 4th top-case cracking (right palm-rest edge; same place EVERY time), and now I am being told that my warranty will only cover the first three repairs!!! My AppleCare is good through September 12th 2010... and while they have acknowledged this as a "defective" part on this generation of MacBooks, they are now making it MY responsibility to repair. What the....?

Has anyone else ever had an experience like this?! Beyond frustrated...

abcdefghijklmno

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2010
I was in the Apple store in Manchester (UK) on Friday at the genius bar with an iPhone issue. The guy next to me had one of these white MacBooks with him and was resolving another problem with it. The genius then said that while they had it in they might as well replace the top-case (palm rest cracks), as it is a known issue. I then asked my genius to check, and he confirmed that this is being done as an out-of-warranty repair to this model and told me to bring my 2006 White MacBook 1,1 in to get it replaced.

Will take it in next week and post back with the results :)

A

MacGeek1994

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2009
North Carolina
Same Problem

I had the same problem with my Black Late 2007 MacBook.

I setup an appointment with the Apple Store in Charlotte and they fixed it for free in about an hour.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I had the same problem with my Black Late 2007 MacBook.

I setup an appointment with the Apple Store in Charlotte and they fixed it for free in about an hour.

You're lucky that they had the part in stock. Sometimes they have to order it, which means you have to bring your MB back..... but at least they fix it for you free.

drjaymez

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2008
Ha! I just stumbled across this thread. My 4.1 MB has been cracked for about 6 mos. It had never occurred to me to pursue getting this cosmetic issue fixed, let alone angling my way into a unibody 13"MBP. That will give me something to do tomorrow! If I play my cards right, I should be able to go through two more repairs and get a new MBP before the magic 5 year period is up!

brassguy98

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2010
Just this week, I had the top case replaced for a fifth time.

I have a late 2007 white MacBook.

1. The "W" key did not function properly (Dec. 2007)

2. Top Case replaced at Tampa Apple Store due to right side crack (March 2008)

3. Top Case replaced by Apple in Tenn. due to right side crack (Jan. 2009)

4. Top case replaced by Tampa Apple Store due to crack on right and left side, as well as a cracked case surrounding the LCD monitor (Nov. 2009)

5. Top Case replaced at Apple Store in Buffalo (July 2010)

I wish they'd offer me a new Unibody MacBook! I'd happy return this one to them, even though I really like it!! At least the new one would have a good graphics card!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.