Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aroseallen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I just bought a 2007 Subaru Impreza, and I am looking for the best way to use my iPhone 4 to play my music, use my phone, and access and use my navigation app..

I feel that there are so many various options, but I am not sure which route to take.
No matter what, I am looking for a new car stereo, but I am not sure if I should chose one that has a built in docking station like the Dual XML8110, or one which has iPod direct, or one that simply has an aux input. (BTW- the transmitter option is not for me.)

Is it better to get a mounting station (like those talked about in the thread below) along with a really nice 7'' touch screen car stereo which has an aux hook up? I am worried about purchasing the Dual XML8110 because many of the reviews claim it is cheaply made. I also wonder if it will allow the use of a navigation app. On the other hand, I don't see the point of controlling my iPhone on the car stereo's screen when it has a nice touch screen and display already, and could simply be mounted somewhere on the dash or windshield.

I feel that it is hard to find out what is best for the latest iPhone 4, and that there is a lot out there about hooking up your iPhone 3G to your car stereo.

If anyone has found a good solution to starting fresh with an iPhone 4 and a new car, I'd love to hear it!

Thank you-
aroseallen :eek:

cdebnil

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
I don't know if its the best, but my solution was pretty simple. I already have a screen built into my G37. I bought the Apple Composite cable out and connected it to my screen. Currently it only outputs music, videos the ipod can play, and photos/videos taken with the Iphone. Also charges the phone. Once jailbreaking is an option, I'll be able to output the actual screen to my car's screen and use GPS and other things such as Slingplayer on the screen. I'm pretty sure besides JB and apple composite cable, there's no other way to display GPS on your car's screen. See the thread I made when I first installed my mount for more info:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/956858/

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
My Mazda 3 has an iPod cable coming out of the glove box. When I connect my iPod 5G, it shows a Mazda logo on the iPod's screen. I guess there was some sort of a deal between Apple and Mazda for this. Anyway, it lets me control the music from the steering wheel. I can also connect my iPhone, which gives me the same functions plus I can run TomTom whilst doing all this, and it will stop music and let me talk on the phone through the car's speakers if somebody calls. Excellence. And it charges.

The only way to have an experience this full is to really check online and see if maybe Subaru striked a similar deal with Apple for this, or if there are Apple cables specifically for your car that can use iDevices for audio.

MrNimziki

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2009
I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but currently I have the Motorola Motorokr (got it for about $45 off ebay) and a cheap vent mount I got at Marshall's for about $7 that works just fine. The Motorokr is great! It's loud enough if you just use the unit, and it works great with the iP4. It also has a FM transmitter that finds a clear station and you can play the iPhone through the car stereo and when you get a call it lowers and the volume and the call comes through the speakers...basically like a true bluetooth unit. I have an aux plugin in my car as well (06 Civic) and really hate transmitters, but I've been really impressed at how great the quality is and haven't used my aux since.

w3iiipu

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2010
My Mazda 3 has an iPod cable coming out of the glove box. When I connect my iPod 5G, it shows a Mazda logo on the iPod's screen. I guess there was some sort of a deal between Apple and Mazda for this. Anyway, it lets me control the music from the steering wheel. I can also connect my iPhone, which gives me the same functions plus I can run TomTom whilst doing all this, and it will stop music and let me talk on the phone through the car's speakers if somebody calls. Excellence. And it charges.

The only way to have an experience this full is to really check online and see if maybe Subaru striked a similar deal with Apple for this, or if there are Apple cables specifically for your car that can use iDevices for audio.

what yr is ur mazda 3? I dont get that on my 2007 =(
All i have is the aux but cant control it from my steering wheel

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
what yr is ur mazda 3? I dont get that on my 2007 =(
All i have is the aux but cant control it from my steering wheel

2006. It's an option that I had to pay extra for to get. Go to the nearest dealership and ask about it. Also, if you do the Build a Mazda 3 thing on their site, you'll see the iPod thing as one of the options.

I think I paid like 200 dollars or something. It may not seem a hundred percent worth it at the time, but holy crap would I be completely lost without it. FM transmitters just plain ruin the quality.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but currently I have the Motorola Motorokr (got it for about $45 off ebay) and a cheap vent mount I got at Marshall's for about $7 that works just fine. The Motorokr is great! It's loud enough if you just use the unit, and it works great with the iP4. It also has a FM transmitter that finds a clear station and you can play the iPhone through the car stereo and when you get a call it lowers and the volume and the call comes through the speakers...basically like a true bluetooth unit. I have an aux plugin in my car as well (06 Civic) and really hate transmitters, but I've been really impressed at how great the quality is and haven't used my aux since.

THANK YOU!!!!! Just got mine after seeing this post, and I'm amazed at the quality so far on calls and especially the the FM transmission. My car has an awesome stereo, one I didn't want to give up in order to play the music off the iPhone. This worked perfectly!

To the OP--I'm using an iPhone 4 (with the bumper), and an Arkon universal swivel vent mount from Amazon. The swivel is a plus if you're using a navigation app, as it allows you to set the phone up in landscape mode for better viewing, and the vent mount puts it at a good height for that. We've got the same setup in my husband's car. The problem with that type of setup though is the cables...I find the AUX cable in his car tends to rattle against the dash, and that drives me nuts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.