Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eomando

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 7, 2004
UK
Hi everyone,

I have a Rev. C 12" powerbook, and until now i've not had any trouble... I could kind of do with a little advice from any who're willing to give it :)

The problem is this: my internal modem has disappeared...

2 weeks ago I came home to my parents after a bit of travelling about, and could use my powerbook easily on the net (they've just got dialup here, so no other options).. Then I went away to austria for a bit and came back yesterday.. I try to check my mail - no internal modem...

Obviously I'm a bit miffed about this, the last time I used dialup it was fine.. I suppose that something might have come loose whilst I was travelling, but I've always tried to be gentle with my laptop..

To be completely honest, I wouldn't be bothered by this problem since at uni I'm using the ethernet port all the time (or wireless), but I don't like the idea of there being "something" wrong with my otherwise perfect powerbook - plus i don't *really* like having to use my parents laptop to check my mail etc..

As it stands, system profiler and the apple hardware test both seem to think I don't have an internal modem.. I'd do a reinstall of panther if it wasn't going to be a big hassle backing things up and reinstalling programs afterwards, especially if its not going to help!

Any and all advice would be appreciated.. I'm not sure I'd want to send my laptop into apple to get the modem fixed when for 98% of the time it won't be used (though I probably would before the warrenty ran out).. but other suggestions are welcome (complaints about airport x-ray machines included ;) )

Sorry about the long post, its just a really annoying problem for me!

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Someone else had a problem similar to this last month - turned out to be a broken modem. I'd suggest having Apple look at it if it's under warranty (especially if you have a local Apple Store there).

Otherwise, I suppose you could pop open the keyboard and see if one of the connectors on the modem came loose.

Eomando

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 7, 2004
UK
grapes911, I did try the hardware test disk, and it didn't find the modem. All I did was the "quick" test though, and on the right it lists what its testing, amongst which were the words "Modem: Not Detected"...

emw, thanks for the vote towards a broken modem... it is still under warrenty, but in a day or so i'll not be using the modem until around christmas.. The closest apple store to me at uni would be london, so if i find myself going along (i do want to try out their nice bluetooth keyboards if possible) then i'll take my powerbook along with me and see what they say.

I guess I'd better make a note of sending in my powerbook before the end of the years warrenty (and a definite note to get applecare before then) - still, i hope that's the only problem i'll have with it.. (fingers crossed)

Judo

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2002
New Zealand
try zapping the PRAM.
Start the computer and then hold down the option, apple, P and R keys. Hold them until you here the start up chime 3 times.

good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.