Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Whigga Spitta

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
Can you say Chi-City??
Actually, the name of the thread should actually be, "will Apple replace my iPod battery for me?"

I bought a refurbished 40GB iPod about 3 months ago (3rd Generation), and since then the battery seems to be diminishing. As of late, I have only gotten about 2 hours of REAL listening out of it. I went to the iPod support site and timed running my iPod continuously, as Apple suggests. It ran for just over 4 hours. I thought the 3G iPods should be running at 6-8 hours? Do I have a case here for a new battery? This drives me crazy when I want to listen to it walking around campus, because I always forget what lousy battery life this thing has. I'm not knocking all iPods though, I lived with a 15 GB happilly for over a year until it ran out of harddrive space...

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
Get it replaced before the warranty expires!
Typical running time should be within 6-8 hours as you said!
I'm still getting almost 6 hours on my 2.5 years old 10GB iPod

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
Whigga Spitta said:
does iPod battery need replacing?

ha ha. LOL. :D nope, because you can't replace it. :eek: :p :D

but get Apple to have a look at it while it's under warranty, you don't want to be left dead in the water, especially with out any 'tunes. :p

i thought that the battery in the iPod can't be replaced? when ever you send it to Apple, they just send you a new iPod? anyone know about that. i could have sworn i read that somewhere...

hcuar

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2004
Dallas
Whigga Spitta said:
getting a new ipod (4th generation) would not be a bad thing... :D

Yes, exactly. We don't want to bother Apple with replacing his battery. Come on... :rolleyes: His iPod isn't that old. Have Apple replace the battery.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
cb911 said:
ha ha. LOL. :D nope, because you can't replace it. :eek: :p :D

but get Apple to have a look at it while it's under warranty, you don't want to be left dead in the water, especially with out any 'tunes. :p

i thought that the battery in the iPod can't be replaced? when ever you send it to Apple, they just send you a new iPod? anyone know about that. i could have sworn i read that somewhere...

What the hell drugs are you on? Of course you can replace it! For $50. Apple probably refurbs them when they do it themselves, which takes a while... so you get a different iPod back, but in a couple of months, someone might get your old one (all buffed and clean). I'm pretty sure that's how the official battery replacement program works... but yeah, you can change the battery.

paul

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
thedoc1111 said:
http://www.ipodbattery.com/slimipodinstall.htm

Says it all - a google search for ipod battery gives you this.

I always find it useful to quickly 'google' something before I post if I'm not sure - it's as far away as the top-right hand corner of your Window!

Mike
At least it is if you use Safari or Firefox - I miss the easy Google search when I'm stuck on a PC with Netscape and/or IE. I'm surprised to find out that the iPod battery actually CAN be replaced. I was in the same frame of mind as an earlier poster that thought you always got a new iPod when you asked to get the battery replaced.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
you can even replace it yourself if you are daring there are kits out there that you can get

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
i really can't tell you what i've been smoking. you might have to ask the Greens. :eek: ;) :D

but i'm glad to know now that you can replace it. remember that guy who went around spraying his anti-iPod stuff? i thought that he was mad because you can't replace the battery? or maybe it was just because he needed his replaced his after a year or something. it'd be interesting to see if that guy is still using an iPod actually... :D

i also thought that Apple's iPod battery replacement program was $99 (USD i guess?)

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Goddamn internet...

Seriously..the VERY first iPods had the problem with the batteries not being able to be easily replaced (or at all). The problem was SOLVED by the third generation. It's $99 bucks, or covered under warranty if your battery last less than half the reported life (under testing, about 4 hrs). So, take it in, what have you got to lose?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.