Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SexyBeast

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
I have seen several camera apps and wanted to know what people thought the best one is. I want an app so I can take full advantage of the new camera and flash and get the best possible pictures. From what I've seen, Camera+ seems to be the best. Any thoughts?

bunger

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2007
I have seen several camera apps and wanted to know what people thought the best one is. I want an app so I can take full advantage of the new camera and flash and get the best possible pictures. From what I've seen, Camera+ seems to be the best. Any thoughts?

I am interested as well. I just reviews of the new Camera+ app, but they seem pretty mixed....

hzeat

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2009
Dallas
i used to use Camera Genius but they haven't done anything to support iPhone 4 so i am also interested in finding a new camera app. i did see Camera+ but i'm not sure if it has burst to which i mainly used for Camera Genius along with the grid lines.

other photo apps i use with iPhone 4 currently, and would recommend:

Photogene
CrossProcess
Hipstamatic

pics using a few of those apps are on my flickr page;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hzeat

ElDogman

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2008
are there any other good photo taking apps? any of those that give a depth of field effect?

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
are there any other good photo taking apps? any of those that give a depth of field effect?

tilt shift generator does it "after the fact" - IE take the picture (in the app or from photo roll) and then apply the affect. It's pretty cool.

princecarspian

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2010
I use the standard camera application but you have a good idea. I would like the ability to take photos with a volume knob on the side where the camera application is running and active.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
I'm looking for an app that speeds up the shutter. I have a one year old who doesn't stop moving and all of her pictures have motion blur. Does such an app exist???

dZp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
I'm looking for an app that speeds up the shutter. I have a one year old who doesn't stop moving and all of her pictures have motion blur. Does such an app exist???
ClearCam in Quick Mode ?
► Quick Mode
Purpose: Eliminate the common blur problem that occurs on mobile devices when the camera is shaking or subjects in the scene are moving by intelligently selecting the sharpest of 3 photos and saving directly to the Camera Roll.
Works for me... but then, I'm not 1 year old! :D

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
ClearCam in Quick Mode ?

Works for me... but then, I'm not 1 year old! :D

Looks cool. Thanks. So it takes three shots every time I take one pic? Do I get to look at all 3 to choose the best or does it auto pick? Just worried that the shot 1 might be sharpest, but what if somebody's blinking in shot 1 and not in 2 or 3?

a.jfred

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2010
Austin, TX
I never thought I'd use something other than the regular camera app, but I've been having a blast with Hipstamatic - particularly with it's "shake for random" mode. I even splurged & bought 2 of the 3 in-app packs (I wanted the lens from one with the film from the other).

dZp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
Looks cool. Thanks. So it takes three shots every time I take one pic? Do I get to look at all 3 to choose the best or does it auto pick? Just worried that the shot 1 might be sharpest, but what if somebody's blinking in shot 1 and not in 2 or 3?
It auto picks the best one out of the three, based on sharpness, not eyes... sorry!

fishepa

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2009
To catch an infant/toddler, you're going to need a better camera than one on a phone. Try investing in a nice DSLR.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
It auto picks the best one out of the three, based on sharpness, not eyes... sorry!

'Preciate the info! I checked their website and it want' very useful.

To catch an infant/toddler, you're going to need a better camera than one on a phone. Try investing in a nice DSLR.

I have one, but it's much easier to whip out the phone where ever we are than to bring one with us everywhere we go. My hands (and pockets) are full enough as it is!

stevenisHAUNTED

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2007
Texas
I had been looking for a good camera app and purchased Hipstamatic yesterday.

I think it's my favorite and most people seem to be pretty satisfied with it.
Love the fact that you can purchase other film/lenses/flashes but already comes pre-loaded.

Pretty sure I'm sticking with Hipstamatic.

Mitchelino

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2009
Ontario, Canada
I am interested as well. I just reviews of the new Camera+ app, but they seem pretty mixed....

I bought Camera+ the day it came out. I have 3 thoughts about it:
  1. It's a great app for taking photos, with lots of features, a great UI, and much customizability. You can edit and delete them before saving them to the camera roll (they go to the lightbox first).
  2. There is no video support, so it can't replace my default camera app yet (and I don't want to buy another camera app that supports photos and video).
  3. The company has no ethics. They released the app for $2.99 saying the app was "ON SALE FOR A VERY LIMITED TIME". 3 Weeks later it went on sale even more for $0.99 for a few weeks. Then it went up to $1.99 (still cheaper than what I paid when it was "ON SALE FOR A VERY LIMITED TIME". I doubt they will ever charge more than $2.99 for the app (they claim $9.99 is the regular price). I think it's just a con into buying the app right away, thinking it's on sale, when it isn't:mad:

Sorry for a bit of a rant, but I just want people to know when they say "ON SALE FOR A VERY LIMITED TIME" they mean it's already at full price and will probably become cheaper in a few weeks.

All that being said, it's actually a great app. They've updated it twice since June 7th (release day). If they added video support, it would replace my default camera app. Until then, I stick to the default for videos.

AppDeveloper99

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2010
Pakistan

Hipstamatic ($1.99)

Photoshop.com Mobile (Free)

ColorSplash ($1.99)

dZp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006

keaide

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2010
Camera+ is the best out there. Use PhotoStudio and PictureShow for all kinds of effects and Photogene for some conventional adjustments. Diptic, ColorSplash and Grungetastic are nice additions that complement the aforementioned apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.