Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prot0type

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
Saw it on engadget.com

10130_71_2.jpg

http://www.ihomeintl.com/products.asp?country_id=100021&product_id=10130&dept_id=1006#

foiden

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2008
What's kind of cool about it is that it kind of makes the statement that the iPad seems to really have unique functions due to its size. It just doesn't seem like one of those devices you'd put in something like this. I guess it'll work for some people, but it just seems something of iPhone/iPod size just works better in those things.

You look at that huge iPad thing sitting there, you're instinct is to take it off there and carry it.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
What's kind of cool about it is that it kind of makes the statement that the iPad seems to really have unique functions due to its size. It just doesn't seem like one of those devices you'd put in something like this. I guess it'll work for some people, but it just seems something of iPhone/iPod size just works better in those things.

For me, I have a dock like this (iLuv) -- an old one -- for an old clickwheel iPod. I still use it, because in that room, it gives me access to my whole iTunes library on speakers. In fact, I didn't buy the iLuv for my iPod, but I actually bought the iLuv and a used iPod big enough for my iTunes library for it. I guess if it were compatible with my iPhone I might just put my iPhone in it to charge, but it's also nice to have it able to play music without my phone.

Here, it seems to me like there's not much need for it, especially since the iPad doesn't have to do tons of charging thanks to its battery and usage profile. It might be cool if it did something more interesting on the iPad screen, though, like the docks for the Droid do. Perhaps some kind of interactive / live display or command center that showed a mix of pictures, current news headlines, previews of e-mails, a stock ticker, etc, or something like that....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.