Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

youngplayer

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2008
Shanghai,China
I've read a book introducing the Objective-c language,which mentioned that it's possible to setup the programming environment in window N5.x by installing cygwin and GNUStep. But it doesn't explain how to do so. And I tried failed. I don't know how to let cygwin and GNUStep work together, even not sure which verion of GNUStep is a MUST.

Does anybody here know it? Pls tell me, thank you!

Richard Shepher

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2008
Unfriendly bunch!

Blimey, you lot are unfriendly...!

I'd very much like to know how to do this as well. I've downloaded the GNUStep stuff, but I can see how to use it. The RTFM comments are no help, as the FM itself isn't very helpful...

I've tried following a couple of step-by-step "write your first app with GNUStep" pages, but they didn't work.

I don't suppose that I'll get any help from you unfriendly lot, but if anyone knows a good getting started with Objective C on Windows guide, please post it!

thanks,
Richard

Amuraivel

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2006
Not quite, but similar

I ran across cocotron today, it is the Cocoa API that allows cross compiling to create windows binaries!

Program for mac, and get the win version for free:

COCOTRON

I haven't tried it because I have trouble enough with compiling for OS X, but looks like a cool idea.

Sijmen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
Cocotron is awesome but it still has limitations. Most importantly, there is no garbage collection. If you can live with that, go for it.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Blimey, you lot are unfriendly...!
I think you're misinterpreting the tone and intent. I didn't see anyone here who was blatantly unfriendly, and really I think MacRumors has some of the most helpful people you will ever find on an online forum. Mongrel did some research for the poster and posted a link, and Cromulent tried to answer his question about where to read for more info. Just the fact that they bothered to post and tried to help means they are not "unfriendly". Don't blame them because you didn't find the documentation to your liking, they didn't write it. I'd suggest you complain to the GNUstep people instead.

And by the way, this is a Mac forum! Almost everyone here who is using Objective-C is doing so because it's how to write Mac software. Since you're asking about Windows software, maybe a Windows forum would be a better place to ask?

youngplayer

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2008
Shanghai,China
Thank you all for your advice.
I'm in China where Windows PC is much more popular than Mac PC, so I thought it's a good solution to develop Mac software on Windows PC. But now, I've given up. I have got Macbook which costs 7000 Yuan(about $1000)
:)

I'd like to come here to talk with you all.

mags631

Mar 6, 2007
I'm in China where Windows PC is much more popular than Mac PC, so I thought it's a good solution to develop Mac software on Windows PC. But now, I've given up. I have got Macbook which costs 7000 Yuan(about $1000)
:)

I'd like to come here to talk with you all.

The Apple development page for Mac is located here.

From this page you can find and download the Xcode package. Xcode provides all the tools you need to start development on the Mac. It's free.

You can also find the technical documentation, video tutorials, and sample code here. I recommend starting with this document.

Good luck!

larkost

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2007
:).

Welcome to the Mac side.

To maybe make you feel better about your purchase, while you can compile Obj-C with GCC, and the GNUStep libraries try to approximate the Foundation/AppKit libraries, they are not something you could develop a program on and expect to ship it for MacOS users on. Not only are there some decided differences in how thing visually lay out, they are not completely compatible, and Apple is always forging ahead.

You really did need to purchase a Mac to do Mac development, just as you would need to purchase a Windows computer to do development for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.