Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ssindi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2009
I bought an iPad 3G from a third party seller, although the box was sealed and the plastic was still on the iPad, there was an AT&T Micro Sim already inside it!

Maybe it's AT&T's way of making sure you already have a Micro Sim to activate a data plan on it? I hope the item was in fact new as advertised and the seller didn't forget his Micro Sim in it.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Sirius389

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2009
Clifton, NJ
I bought an iPad 3G from a third party seller, although the box was sealed and the plastic was still on the iPad, there was an AT&T Micro Sim already inside it!

Maybe it's AT&T's way of making sure you already have a Micro Sim to activate a data plan on it? I hope the item was in fact new as advertised and the seller didn't forget his Micro Sim in it.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

It is there so that you can activate your data plan straightaway. Apple has included Sim cards with all the iPhones and iPads

ssindi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2009
I don't live in the US either, which is why that Micro Sim is going straight into the bin.

aimee25

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2010
No free sim here in Australia. We have to go buy ours but we have a choice of 5 or 6 carriers.

Capt T

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2010
I don't live in the US either, which is why that Micro Sim is going straight into the bin.

You may want to hang on to it just in case you or someone you know ever plan to go to the US. Then you would already have it.

shellbryson

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2006
Edinburgh

When you buy an iPad through the UK Apple store, you have the option to pick a network. Apple ship a sim for that network with your iPad, but in a separate packet (at least they did with my Three sim).

aimee25

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2010
Vodafone NZ :rolleyes: has announced that all iPads intended for New Zealand will come with a micro SIM.

Hey if you get a 3G can you let me know that the data plans are like, I have to spend a month or two down there over summer. Save me looking into it.

Ashka

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2008
New Zealand

Ciclismo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Germany
Hey if you get a 3G can you let me know that the data plans are like, I have to spend a month or two down there over summer. Save me looking into it.

Alpha - $20 per month for 250MB
Extreme - $50per month for 3GB

Pretty awful though is this under terms and conditions

those cocks at Vodafone NZ in their T&Cs said:
3. Upon exhaustion of the data Add-On, Vodafone will disconnect access to data, unless another data Add-On is purchased.
http://help.vodafone.co.nz/app/answers/detail/a_id/11290

I dunno what Telecom is offering yet - they won't have an iPad specific plan or a micro SIM until August - but chances are that it will be about the same. The upshot is that you can probably use Telecom's hotspots too, but that has to be finalised yet. Also 2degrees, another network that is still in its infancy here in NZ, has mentioned that they will also offer an iPad specific data only plan, but they are keeping their lips shut tight about any details.

You'll want to check these three just before you come over:

http://www.vodafone.co.nz
http://www.telecom.co.nz
http://www.2degreesmobile.co.nz

aimee25

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2010
Thanks heaps guys for all your info, you have both been really helpful. Sorry to everyone else for hijacking the thread :p Can't believe what you guys have to pay- even the prepaid stuff here $10 for a gig and it only gets better the more you buy.

duncyboy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2008
Just for those interested: in the UK PC World are plugging Three Mobile and give out Three micro-sims with iPads

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.