Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JustaGal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2010
I successfully backed up my iPhone 3g and then restored the backup onto my new 3gs. It backed up everything except all of my apps! Help? What do I do now? :confused: Thanks for any help on this. :)

JustaGal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2010
Ok, I plugged in my old iphone and saw all my apps under the apps tab. I clicked on "sync". Then I unplugged the phone and plugged in the new iphone, clicked on apps, but nothing was there.

How do I get apps from my 3g onto my 3gs?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Are all those apps on your itunes library on your computer or just on your old iphone?
Plug the iphone 3GS, click the apps tab and select the sync apps checkbox.
Then on the bottom right hit Apply then sync.
It will take a while to sync them all back in so give it 5-10 minutes depending how many and how big your apps are.

JustaGal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2010
When I backed up my 3g I assumed the apps backed up as well? Because when I plug in my new 3gs and click on the apps tab, there are no apps there for me to sync. What am I missing here? I really appreciate your help!!! :)

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
When I backed up my 3g I assumed the apps backed up as well? Because when I plug in my new 3gs and click on the apps tab, there are no apps there for me to sync. What am I missing here? I really appreciate your help!!! :)

No, Apps never backup. You gotta sync them back from your computers itunes library.
You needed to transfer you apps into your itunes library.
So when you open up itunes and click on the Apps icon under Library, music,movies, podcasts etc.. there's nothing there?
No apps?
You need to plug your iphone 3G back if you have it available and right click under devices on your iphone 3G icon and select "Transfer Purchases"
That will copy/transfer all your apps from your iphone 3G to your itunes library and then you will be able to sync them back to the 3GS.
Or you can redownload them all again for free with the same itunes account login.

JustaGal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2010
Thank you thank you thank you!!! I finally have all my apps transferred over and everything is perfect!! :D

Susan Ploetz

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2013
Apps didn't transfer over

I've seen the reply from the demi-god and tried to follow the information but this doesn't work for me as the apps can be seen in the library but will not transfer with the information over. If an app is free of charge I don't think it will count as a 'transfer purchase'. Does this mean I have to say goodbye to my apps? I've spent a whole hour on the phone with apple and they cannot help! By the way, where is the app check box? I cannot find it!
Thanks Susan

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.