Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexf

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 2, 2004
Planet Earth
Hi Everyone,

I recently came across this:

http://g5support.com/group/viewtopic.php?t=18

He claims that he has drastically reduced his G5 temperature and nothing violates the warranty (and is probably right) but it still seems a little scary to me, especially as I'm not very hardware savvy.

Has anyone tried this, or would anyone recommend / not recommend this?

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
alexf said:
Hi Everyone,

I recently came across this:

http://g5support.com/group/viewtopic.php?t=18

He claims that he has drastically reduced his G5 temperature and nothing violates the warranty (and is probably right) but it still seems a little scary to me, especially as I'm not very hardware savvy.

Has anyone tried this, or would anyone recommend / not recommend this?

The compresses air for the processors is computer cleaning 101, and should be done at least once every 3 months. I personally like to do it once a month if possible. But taking off all the fans, I don't think that is needed. Just have to blow air though the grills.

JOD8FY

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
United States
It's perfectly safe. I use a can of compressed air to clean out my desktop PC about every 3 months. Trust me, as long as you don't touch any wires or parts, the air won't hurt it. I do belive that it can lower your computer's temperature and it will also cause you fans to run quieter and less often.

As a matter of fact, I think mine's due for another cleaning...

JOD8FY

alexf

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 2, 2004
Planet Earth
OK, I bought a can of Kensington Dust Blaster compressed air with a straw.

I am worried because when I used it on my keyboard, the lucite clouded up (probably condensation because the can was so cold - I doubt there was any moisture in the can).

Is this an issue if blowing out the prossessor heat sinks, or should I be careful about condensation / moisture?

Also, if this is computer cleaning 101, how come I can't find any info from Apple on it?

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
alexf said:
Also, if this is computer cleaning 101, how come I can't find any info from Apple on it?

They'll probably post it after everyone knows about it already :rolleyes:

I used canned-air on the inside of my MDD G4 a few months back. There was so much dust in there I could've made a sweater ..........(ok that was gross.)

I got condensation on the CHIP becuase I was being a numbskull, but it ended up working fine. (Also got condensation on the CCD of my digital camera which had me sweating big time- that was OK in the end, too.)

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
5300cs said:
....There was so much dust in there I could've made a sweater ..........(ok that was gross.)

That's A LOT of dust!

5300cs said:
I got condensation on the CHIP becuase I was being a numbskull, but it ended up working fine. (Also got condensation on the CCD of my digital camera which had me sweating big time- that was OK in the end, too.)

What did you do that makes you a "numbskull"?

And is it really neccessary to blow/clean the dust out of a PowerMac G5? Where do you clean/blow it off at? The fans or the general "inside" parts?

Sorry if that was stated already, but I'm really tired and need sleep and didn't feel like checking. :D

JOD8FY

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
United States
alexf said:
OK, I bought a can of Kensington Dust Blaster compressed air with a straw.

I am worried because when I used it on my keyboard, the lucite clouded up (probably condensation because the can was so cold - I doubt there was any moisture in the can).

Is this an issue if blowing out the prossessor heat sinks, or should I be careful about condensation / moisture?

Actually, there is moisture in the can. If you shake it, you will feel something in it. That's why they say to never use it while it's upside down. The moisture is harmless; you can't see anything come out. The can of air should not cause any condensation, so don't worry. :)

Good luck,
JOD8FY

ewinemiller

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2001
west of Philly
JOD8FY said:
Actually, there is moisture in the can. If you shake it, you will feel something in it. That's why they say to never use it while it's upside down. The moisture is harmless; you can't see anything come out. The can of air should not cause any condensation, so don't worry. :)

Good luck,
JOD8FY

Actually just using compressed air will cause condensation if there is any humidity in the air even if held upright. Contents under pressure, expand when the valve is opened, dropping the temperature, it's physics 101. It is the basic principle behind how your air conditioner runs. I live in florida, you might as well be using a spray bottle of water to clean off your machine when you use compressed air here.

Having said that, getting a little mist on your heat sink or fans is not a problem, but other components may not be so hardy. You're probably better off using a vacuum cleaner with a very soft brush attachment to get the dust bunnies out of your computer. Office supply and computer stores sell little vacuum cleaners just for this purpose.

Finally, if you're already running into enough dust in a G5 (even the oldest really isn't that old) that it makes a noticable difference in heat then it's probably time to move the G5 out of the wood shop or stop rubbing long haired cats on the air intakes. ;)

alexf

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 2, 2004
Planet Earth
ewinemiller said:
Actually just using compressed air will cause condensation if there is any humidity in the air even if held upright. Contents under pressure, expand when the valve is opened, dropping the temperature, it's physics 101. It is the basic principle behind how your air conditioner runs. I live in florida, you might as well be using a spray bottle of water to clean off your machine when you use compressed air here.

Having said that, getting a little mist on your heat sink or fans is not a problem, but other components may not be so hardy. You're probably better off using a vacuum cleaner with a very soft brush attachment to get the dust bunnies out of your computer. Office supply and computer stores sell little vacuum cleaners just for this purpose.

Finally, if you're already running into enough dust in a G5 (even the oldest really isn't that old) that it makes a noticable difference in heat then it's probably time to move the G5 out of the wood shop or stop rubbing long haired cats on the air intakes. ;)

A vacuum cleaner to clean the interor of a G5?!

Do you know how much static electicity vacuum cleaners give off? I would not recommend this.

If you read the link at the beginning of this post (http://g5support.com/group/viewtopic.php?t=18), the author claims that he reduced his CPU temperatures by 15 - 20º by doing this procedure, which is quite a lot, and probably means a quieter machine.

However, I am still worried about condensation / moisture getting in there.

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
I wouldn't recommend blowing air through fans, I have done so to really really disgusting PC heatsinks/fans and it made the fans make noise. This led me to believe that some of the dust might have gotten where no dust is supposed to get and might eventually wear out the fans. Something to think about.

alexf

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 2, 2004
Planet Earth
jared_kipe said:
I wouldn't recommend blowing air through fans, I have done so to really really disgusting PC heatsinks/fans and it made the fans make noise. This led me to believe that some of the dust might have gotten where no dust is supposed to get and might eventually wear out the fans. Something to think about.

Good point - thanks.

But what do you mean by "blowing air through fans"? Does this include using compressed air on the removable fans? And the heatsinks?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.