Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

St. Germain

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 19, 2006
I've got an Airport Extreme N router that I'd like to extend, I'm just trying to figure out the best way to do it. I'd really like to go all 5GHZ N in my house and only have a couple of things that currently use G network adapters (Xbox 360, Tivo) but I'd like to use a bridge and ethernet cables with those instead.

From what I understand, the Airport Express does not have the ability to act as a bridge for hard wired ethernet connections. I'm seeing an ethernet jack but only see one, and from what I'm reading, that's to connect to a cable modem if you wanted to use the Express as your main router.

I'm a little paranoid about buying a 3rd party bridge/router because I'm not sure how nice it will play with my current Airport Extreme, and I'd rather not spend another $180ish to buy a 2nd Airport Extreme.

Any suggestions or experience with products that play nice with the Airport Extreme N?

St. Germain

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 19, 2006

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
Thanks. It sounds like I can use an Airport Express as a wired bridge (AND extend the network) but I could only connect one device to it. Unfortunately I'd like to connect two (Xbox 360 and a Tivo) with ethernet cables. Both are using G right now and I'd rather not have to buy another Xbox 360 wireless adapter. The old one I have is G but the newer ones are N.

You could pick up an Ethernet switch and connect it to the Express. Newegg has 3 priced at $10 each, though I'm not sure the quality of those particular brands.

St. Germain

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 19, 2006
I went out and purchased an Airport Express and bit the bullet on an N network adapter for the 360. Going to sell the old one on ebay. I got it all set up and working great........wireless N at 5GHZ which none of my neighbors are on.....until.......I realized that our two iPhones can't use 802.11n. :mad:

So back to a 2.4GHZ in 802.11 b/g compatible mode. :(

At least the network was extended. Sadly the Airport Extreme N router I have is the model before the latest one. The latest ones will allow you to have simultaneous 2.4GHZ and 5GHZ bands going on the same network.

sunbeamgr

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2010
Not Working For Me

I followed this old thread. I have an airport extreme and got an express just to extend the network. It is not working to do that although light is green, etc.

On utility it never gives an "extend network" option. Airport extreme network is set up to allow extending. Can anyone tell me the actual sequence and answers one should use?

Thanks.

Dana Beck

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2010
Tulsa, OK
You have to choose "Join a Network" before you can extend it

I think this is confusing, too, but if you choose to "Join a Network," per the screenshots in iClarified Step 6, then you can get to the screen where you can then extend your existing network.

lOUDsCREAMEr

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2006
Safari desert
Buy a switch & connect it to your Airport Express's ethernet port.

Make sure you check the box "Allow this network to be extended" with your Airport Extreme.

In your Airport Express, select either "Extend a wireless network" or "Join a wireless network". Make sure you check the box "Allow Ethernet Clients".

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-07-27 at 12.11.29 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2010-07-27 at 12.11.29 PM.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 65

nineohtoo

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
SF Bay Area
You can run an ethernet cable from the extreme to the express to run both 5ghz and 2.4ghz. I did that for my old iPhone and when my friends would come over with non n laptops. This allowed me to print and access a hard drive via the extreme, and use AirTunes and VLC+Airfoil with the express. This might be harder for some though, I was fortunate enough for the two to be plugged into the same outlet lol(I rent a 1br in law).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.