Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

star-Magic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2010
Hello,

As a group project we are trying to redevelop the clock app. It's a school project. But we are trying to add stuff to it and we would like to shake the iPhone to read out the time. So we know we can use the accelerometer for shake detection. but how do we make the phone read the time out load?

any help that would get us started would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

HarryWorksInc

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2010
You mean you want the iphone to speak the time?

If so your out of luck unless you record somebody saying every single possible minute and hour.

star-Magic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2010
We thought there is a thing called "read out load". You know, how you can have the PDF stuff on your computer be read to you, in a robot like voice.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
We thought there is a thing called "read out load". You know, how you can have the PDF stuff on your computer be read to you, in a robot like voice.
3.x did add an accessibility feature called VoiceOver but that's not something you can control from your code. The best you could hope to achieve with it is to hope the user has it turned on and you've setup your UI to allow them to use it.

star-Magic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2010
So there is nothing that can announce the time for me? All i need at this point is to shake the iPhone and it say the time to me.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
So there is nothing that can announce the time for me? All i need at this point is to shake the iPhone and it say the time to me.

This has been answered above: there is no speech synthesiser you can use on the iPhone. You can choose to record voice samples for all the words/phrases you need and play them yourself as required.

Nsutton

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2009
6 Feet Under
I know on a mac you could use the terminal command. But for iPhone you might have to record it on a computer and play it back on an iPhone.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
This has been answered above: there is no speech synthesiser you can use on the iPhone.

There currently is no public speech synthesizer API in the iPhone OS. Whether or not you can use the existing private speech synthesizer API built into the iPhone depends on whether you want an app to be approved for App store distribution or not. (e.g. is your app for personal use?)

There are also at least a couple 3rd party speech synthesizer libraries that you could include with your app. These may or may not be expensive to license.

DennisVar

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2010
Hello,

As a group project we are trying to redevelop the clock app. It's a school project. But we are trying to add stuff to it and we would like to shake the iPhone to read out the time. So we know we can use the accelerometer for shake detection. but how do we make the phone read the time out load?

any help that would get us started would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

You might have luck with this open source library (released under the MIT license) that I found after scouring the web.

http://bitbucket.org/sfoster/iphone-tts/src

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.