Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ice Dragon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
I was wondering if there is a link to a seemless video guide to installing an SSD in a Mac Mini or should I pay a technician?

Edit: While I am at it. Can the Mini handle 8 GB of RAM?

mangrove

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
FL, USA
8 GB RAM in a MINI

Is the new Mac Mini any easier?

As you no doubt know the 2010 Mini can not only take 8 GB RAM, but you can order it with that much RAM. You can just take off the bottom of the 2010 and the RAM is right in front of you. Made for DIY.

I will be installing 8GB RAM into my late 2009 Mini soon. Why soon. Because I bought an OWC 256 SSD and also a Momentus XT 500GB for a second drive to replace the space where the optical drive currently sits. But, the only problem is that I cannot find the cables iFixit references in its How to Install 1TB into a Mini (meaning a 2009 Model).

Real frustrating so far. iFixit said that their supplier why back when no longer has the 2 cables they say you need.

Pretty quick I will just install the RAM and SSD and use the 500 as an external drive with the case I got from OWC.

Trust this helps.

P.S.-If anybody knows where to buy a 6 pin Slimline SATA power cable to 4 pin Molex power cable, I'm all ears.

Ice Dragon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Figure I just use this thread for a few more general questions.

The Superdrive is covered under Applecare warranty right? Is buying the MBA Superdrive better than buying Applecare for the Mini?

Good to know it can handle 8 GB of memory.

mangrove

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
FL, USA
The Superdrive is covered under Applecare warranty right? Is buying the MBA Superdrive better than buying Applecare for the Mini?

IMHO since AppleCare covers the entire computer, it would seem that's the way to go.

As the Hammer from Finland noted somewhere in another thread, other external optical drives are cheaper than the MBA SuperDrive if you do not already own one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.