Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mkelly2115

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2010
State College, PA
Hey guys,
This is my first "official" thread on here, I am cross posting from mac-forums.com since I did not get a "real" answer!

I am in a situation where the Hp tower that I use to backup/sync my iphone 3gs with is dead. Keeping it brief, is there a way to "re-sync" it with a different PC and have everything (contacts, music, etc.) come with it? I have it connected to another computer now, but I am afraid to sync it not knowing the outcome. I have been searching, and have had minimal luck with finding a solution. I just got my my iphone 4, and I really don't want to have to manually add everything.

If I remember from past experiences, doesn't it ask you if you want to remove all data to sync to the new computer? I used to get that error message all of the time when I tried syncing my ipod to multiple computers. Now I haven't used an ipod for some time due to owning an iphone, so correct me if I am wrong. I just cant afford to sync with the new computer and loose everything since I have not backed up in some time.

Any and all input would be great!

Matthew :apple:

Lotso

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2010
OC, California
I don't know if this helps you, but if you could some how recover your iTunes Library and copy it to your working computer you can sync your 3GS and back it up. You can't add anything to it without erasing it, but you can at least back it up.

nippyjun

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2007
Does the hard drive on the broken computer work? If yes you could hook it up to the new computer and import all the iTunes media, contacts, etc.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
Go into iTunes and sign in with your account and authorize the computer. Make sure iTunes is not setup to auto sync. Plug in your iPhone and right click on the iPhone icon and pick Transfer Purchases. This will get all the apps from the app store into iTunes.

Now right click on the iPhone icon and click Backup. Copy the backup folder under MobileSync (C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup) to a safe place, so you have it in case something goes wrong.

Get sharepod (google it). This will enable you to get your music and pics off the phone. Be aware the pics will not be the same quality as the originals.

Now sync your 3GS after making sure to set the sync settings under the Info tab in iTunes. This will sync your 3GS to the PC. Sync everything, so that you have contacts in Outlook or windows address book, calendar and notes in Outlook, etc. The Info tab tells you what you can sync with. If you screw up, restore from the backup that you made earlier.

Now sync your iPhone 4 and restore from the 3GS backup or just sync it, if you don’t care about losing game saves and app settings and Text messages.

That should fix you up.

Before doing all this you might want to get Funambol (it’s free with a trial) to sync your contacts online to be safe if something gets screwed up.

mkelly2115

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2010
State College, PA
Wow great thanks everyone for the inputs! I actually some how got the computer to turn on? I synced with google contacts. I keep getting all these blue screens saying crash dump. I was able to sync it- although it took about an hour. I am awaiting my new MBP in the mail... should I wait to set up the iphone 4? I wouldn't assume you go back and fourth syncing with a mac and a pc? And just do it as a new phone and bring my contacts over though google contacts?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.