Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Biggles

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2009
Western New York
Pretty nice!

pageHeroImages_compass3pc_comp.jpg

pageHeroImages_compass_keyboard.jpg

pageHeroImages_compass_back_new.jpg

http://twelvesouth.com/products/compass/

danrel

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2009
North Carolina
Very nice looking stand!

I wish I'd have seen this one before I dropped $50 on that giant Griffin stand. Although the Griffin stand is incredibly sturdy, it's not nearly as portable for carrying in a small bag as this one appears to be.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Nice! I have their BookArc stands for both the ipad and my MBP. But I went with something similar to this a few weeks ago. I use it all the time; i'm typing on my lap with it right now, actually. Only mine was half the price and works with my MBP as well because the legs are extendible:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...591033&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_2266wt_962

No affiliation with the seller, just passing along a great deal and fast shipping. Others have it on eBay and Amazon as well.

Wish the TwelveSouth one had been available when I bought my iPad though, I would've picked it up in a heartbeat. The BookArc looks great on my nightstand, but it would be nice to have only had to buy ONE stand for both portability and storage purposes.

Some pics of mine in use...we frequently use it with Epicurious and other recipe apps in the kitchen.

IMG_0483.jpg

IMG_0480.jpg

IMG_0482.jpg

henrikrox

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
damn twelvesouth knows how to make beautiful looking products. ANd i love i can fold the damn thing, and bring it on a plane etc. love it.

Mr. Biggles

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2009
Western New York
Nice! I have their BookArc stands for both the ipad and my MBP.
Wish the TwelveSouth one had been available when I bought my iPad though, I would've picked it up in a heartbeat. ]

We have the iPad BookArc in the household also, and while it's used a lot I personally purchased a Jadu for myself. It would have been a bit of a decision between the Compass and the Jadu if they were both available at the same time as you mention. Still tempting though since the legs at the base appear to accommodate a wide varity of case thickness's, whereas the Jadu is limited. Hmmm:)

mixvio

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2009
Sydney, Australia
TwelveSouth's stuff is beautiful, but how is it actually typing? From the looks of the landscape work mode those feet seem to stick up pretty high. I would think they get in the way.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
TwelveSouth's stuff is beautiful, but how is it actually typing? From the looks of the landscape work mode those feet seem to stick up pretty high. I would think they get in the way.

In the typing position pic, they do look pretty long, don't they? On my eBay cheapie, they stick out maybe a quarter inch, and I've never once had them be in the way. That's going caseless--so if you're using the iPad cased one one of these, it should be a non issue. But the way they have it pictured makes it seem like they're a bit too long for those of us with naked iPads.

Wonder when/if they'll have them in the Apple store?

(I shouldn't even be thinking about it, what I have works great. But damn, that thing is just gorgeous....)

mixvio

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2009
Sydney, Australia
In the typing position pic, they do look pretty long, don't they? On my eBay cheapie, they stick out maybe a quarter inch, and I've never once had them be in the way. That's going caseless--so if you're using the iPad cased one one of these, it should be a non issue. But the way they have it pictured makes it seem like they're a bit too long for those of us with naked iPads.

(I shouldn't even be thinking about it, what I have works great. But damn, that thing is just gorgeous....)

Well I can't say I quite understand the idea of using the stand with a case like the Apple one, which already folds back into a mode for typing. If it was one of the cases that just encloses the back of it that'd be one thing, but then I would be scared about scratching the front screen!

prot0type

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010

Was actually close to ordering the cheapie you posted, but the "work mode" feature of the 12south has me sold.

Anybody know of any coupon codes for their site :)

Ganges

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2010
Powder coated steel? If they were going to use steel, couldn't they have used stainless considering the almost $40 price point. It looks stainless in the pics? Is that silver paint?

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Well I can't say I quite understand the idea of using the stand with a case like the Apple one, which already folds back into a mode for typing. If it was one of the cases that just encloses the back of it that'd be one thing, but then I would be scared about scratching the front screen!

Easy...it has WAY more positions than the Apple case does. I have the MacAlly Bookstand, which is similar to the Apple case, and for quite a while I did use it together with my cheapie eBay stand to get angles the MacAlly couldn't achieve. A real stand is also far more stable than either the MacAlly or the Apple case (or my husband's MEdge, which has a jury-rigged non official "stand" position.)

Now I don't use any case at all, just an MEdge leather sleeve. I just prefer the slim feel and weight of the iPad alone. The MacAlly is only used for plane travel, where the stand takes up a bit too much space on a tray table. Frankly, I may pick up a really tiny stand even for that purpose!

prot0type--Ran a search a couple of weeks ago for coupons for TwelveSouth...no dice. Let us know please if you find anything. You're right, that "work mode" position with the extra short leg is a plus for tabletop work. Don't think it would work as well on my lap though as my current one does.

prot0type

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
Jah, searched earlier and negative on the coupon front.

More than likely it'll show up on eBay for a little less, but unfortunately I'm suffering from some form of gotta have it now syndrome.

md63

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2007
Has anyone used the 12 South stand for typing? I love the look and design, however, those tabs on the bottom look tall and look like they would make typing difficult.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
Powder coated steel? If they were going to use steel, couldn't they have used stainless considering the almost $40 price point. It looks stainless in the pics? Is that silver paint?

It's anodized, looks just like Apple's aluminum products.

md63

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2007
It's anodized, looks just like Apple's aluminum products.

Anodization is a chemical treatment of aluminum which changes the exterior color and makes the surface very hard. I don't believe Apple products are anodized. If they were there wouldn't be the issue ofsurface scratches and dents.

Mr. Biggles

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2009
Western New York
Has anyone used the 12 South stand for typing? I love the look and design, however, those tabs on the bottom look tall and look like they would make typing difficult.

Macfeed.com posted some more photos. This one shows the legs from the front...doesn't seem like an issue.

DSC_0354-630x421.jpg

itoddm

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2010
North Carolina
I just picked up the twelve south compass up at my apple retail store. Looks fen sleeker in person. I have one of the others that was mentioned earlier in the thread. It works great but when i saw how small the 12south compass was compared to the other, i had to have it. Haven't tried it out yet. Was surprised it was already in the apple store today

flipangle

macrumors regular
May 11, 2010
I just picked up the twelve south compass up at my apple retail store. Looks fen sleeker in person. I have one of the others that was mentioned earlier in the thread. It works great but when i saw how small the 12south compass was compared to the other, i had to have it. Haven't tried it out yet. Was surprised it was already in the apple store today

Please give us some feedback. I saw it at the apple store today and was really interested but I wanted someone to try it out first. The only downside is that it's a little heavy.

mixvio

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2009
Sydney, Australia
I'd especially be interested in feedback from someone typing on a desk with it pretty regularly. Front pics or not those tabs look like they'd be poking me in the wrist.

md63

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2007
Does anyone know if the 5th Ave store has the 12South compass? I really like the design but am concerned about the height of the tabs in the work position. I had previously picked up the a version of the other stand shown above in this thread and I like it except that when typing the stand is in a very flat configuration and it probably won't work very well in tight spaces such as a plane.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
I saw this in an Apple store a few weeks ago and almost picked it up. I've been considering a stand but just don't know which one I would want.

itoddm

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2010
North Carolina
The little stoppers don't poke me in the wrist at all when I'm typing in the flat position. The flat position doesn't have much of an incline though. I could see myself putting a book under it to give it a little more elevation. This is based on about 15 minutes of use from last night. It has a travel sleeve which is great so when i throw it into my bag I don't have to worry about it scratching up anything else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.