Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DanielDMB

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2010
Okay so this has been giving me problems for the past hour or two..

I just did a fresh install of Mac OSX 10.5.8 Leopard, and started bootcamp. I have a brand new copy of Windows XP Professional with SP2 so that shouldn't be a problem..

Well, I get all the way to windows being installed and it restarting, but once it restarts it says "Press any key to boot from CD" then four seconds later "Disk error, press any key to restart."

Obviously any key doesn't work.

Now I am aware that this is a formatting error. It should be formatting with NTFS but instead it formats with FAT32 and does NOT give me that option to change the formatting process.

I can't really go out and get another copy of XP, because let's face it. This isn't cheap stuff we're dealing with.

If you have a solution, it's well appreciated! Thanks in advance!!

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
So you're looking to reinstall Windows. Start up the computer with the Windows XP disc inserted then press and hold the OPTION/ALT key until you get to the boot menu. From there select the Windows XP disc and you should get back into the installer.

There is an option in the installer to format to NTFS or FAT32. My guess is that you just installed on the Bootcamp partition which is why you're getting the error.

DanielDMB

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2010
Hoping your still here on the thread with me, I'm desperate for help and appreciate your response.

Yes, I can go back into booting windows, but it skips allowing me to choose formatting.

It automatically formats with FAT32 and then gives me Disk Error.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I think it would be best to just start from scratch. I'm hoping that the rest of your system is still good. What I suggest you do is go back into OS X, run Bootcamp Assistant again and remove the Bootcamp partition and then recreate it.

After the partition has been created, boot off the Windows XP disc and I guess the first real screen with options should allow you to format the partition. Select the Bootcamp partition that was created and then it will ask you to select the file system. The one you want to select is "Format the file system using the NTFS file system <quick>"

DanielDMB

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2010
I've removed it, and partitioned again (I've tried using 29GB partition because I've read that FAT32 won't partition anything over 32GB but still got the Disk Error)

Any other solutions? I've tried removing the partition, re-partitioning and re installing windows maybe three or four times.

DanielDMB

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2010
Sorry, I'm a little confused now. If you're able to get into the Windows installer, follow my steps to see if you might have skipped something. If you're not able to get into the installer, we might have to be looking at external problems.

Haha, I've been confused too ;)

Okay, I'm able to get to the windows installer and actually install XP. After XP installs it reboots my computer and then goes to a black screen and says:

"Press Any Key to Boot from CD...."

Four seconds later it then says:

"Disk Error. Press any key to restart."

If I'm fast before it says Disk Error I can boot from the CD again but it brings me back to the Windows XP installation.

Once it says "Disk Error Press Any Key to Restart" it does NOT allow any key to restart I have to actually hold the start button down.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Ok, it's definitely a formatting error - you didn't format the partition.

You're going to have to reinstall Windows again. What you need to do is turn on your computer then press and hold the Option key down to boot back into the Windows installer (this will allow you to surely boot off the disc, no timing is required).

Once you're in, follow my instructions few posts up or click on the link I provided and that should get Windows installed correctly. This problem happens to many people and it's simply a formatting miscue when installing Windows.

DanielDMB

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2010
Okay, problem though is that it doesn't ask me to format.. If it did I'd choose NTFS.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Do you see these two screens?

screenshot20100725at138.png
[/URL]

screenshot20100725at138.png
[/URL]

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Ok. I haven't installed Windows in a while so hang with me. On the first screen, could you not delete the Bootcamp partition and then recreate it in the installer? I would think if you did it this way, it would then ask you which format you want the partition to be created.

DanielDMB

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2010
Okay, so I went into Bootcamp did everything normally but when it asked me where to install XP I did what you said, deleting the partition that bootcamp created, but there was no-where else to install XP afterwards.

DanielDMB

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2010
Alright Windows installed, and I didn't get the Disk Error. It then gave me another black screen with this:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll.

Seems like one thing after another.

How do I fix this now?

By the way, I REALLY appreciate the help that you've given me so far!!

DanielDMB

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2010
Weird you're having all these problems.

Check out this link for help on your error:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314477

Yeah no kidding. Luckily your method for the partition worked and now I don't have the Disk Error anymore. Now I just have to deal with this Hal.dll.

Do you know how to fix this? The link pretty much told me what I was figuring - Re-installing windows again and seeing if that works.

DanielDMB

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2010
By the way, not sure if it makes a difference but when I was choosing what to format with, I chose the NTFS (quick).

Should I have chosen the other one which wasn't the (quick)?

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
No it doesn't matter. Either option works. You can try to re-install again and if it's the same problem, my guess is that something is wrong with the install disc.

hypermog

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2009
Are you installing a disc that is embedded with service pack 3? It might have a hard time reading the SATA drives in the macbook if it doesn't.

DanielDMB

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2010
Are you installing a disc that is embedded with service pack 3? It might have a hard time reading the SATA drives in the macbook if it doesn't.

No, it's a Legal copy of Windows XP Professional 2002 with Service Pack 2. Basically just what Apple says it's supposed to be.

I've actually installed Parallels desktop (trial) and tried it out. Great program, minus the fact that I can't do one of the things I originally wanted to do with bootcamp.

That's PC Gaming So I guess I'm back to trying to work out bootcamp.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.