Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KevRC4130

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 1, 2004
Massachusetts
Hey all,
I know that the MX900 is one of the most popular mice here, but here is what I don't get... What is the point? I realise that the 900 has bluetooth and the 700 doesn't, but both have the dock, which acts as the bluetooth dongle, right? Both mice have the dock/charger plugged into the USB port, it's just that the 700's also acts as a reciever, right? So really they have the same amount of cords, take up the same amounts or ports, everything. I am probably (and hope I am wrong), so someone correct me.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
well, if you have an internal bluetooth module, you don't *need* to have the dock plugged in to use the MX 900. You'd only need to plug it in to recharge.

shawnjackson

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2003
QCassidy352 said:
well, if you have an internal bluetooth module, you don't *need* to have the dock plugged in to use the MX 900. You'd only need to plug it in to recharge.

actually you dont want the mx900 over the mx700 as the data rates for the mx900 are slower, therefore the mouse will lag.

now, i would do what I did and get the mx1000, best damn mouse ever.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
edesignuk said:
here, here!

Well, I wish they would sort BT out because its damn inconvienient for laptop users to have to put an RF dongle in everytime they want to use it.

Is there really significant lag?

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
shawnjackson said:
actually you dont want the mx900 over the mx700 as the data rates for the mx900 are slower, therefore the mouse will lag.

now, i would do what I did and get the mx1000, best damn mouse ever.

I second that. While I have an Apple BT (anyone want one, only 2 days use?) and Microsoft Wireless (Which I love), I couldn't resist one when I was in CompUSA the other day.

The mouse has the best feel in your hand than any other mouse I've ever held. All buttons work as advertised and you can customize them all. Installation was a breeze and when I finally figured out why it wasn't working (on/off switch :rolleyes: ), I had the best damn mouse ever!

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
rdowns said:
I second that. While I have an Apple BT (anyone want one, only 2 days use?) and Microsoft Wireless (Which I love), I couldn't resist one when I was in CompUSA the other day.

The mouse has the best feel in your hand than any other mouse I've ever held. All buttons work as advertised and you can customize them all. Installation was a breeze and when I finally figured out why it wasn't working (on/off switch :rolleyes: ), I had the best damn mouse ever!

oooh. It has an on/off switch? That looks like the next MX900 or MX1000 BT will have one too. Now just add OSX support and I'll get one instantly. Until then I'll just keep my MX700.

thatwendigo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
Sum, Ergo Sum.
aswitcher said:
Is there really significant lag?

I've had my MX900 for at least a month, now, and I have no idea what the people who cry about 'lag' are talking about. The mouse feels as responsive as my corded USB optical was, tracks just as precisely (if not better), and the only issue I've ever had with it once USB Overdrive was installed was a loss of connection. I push two buttons, a few seconds pass, and I have my mouse functional once more.

I've not really delved into Bluetooth peripherals all that much, but the MX900 works just fine for me.

Edit:

Rdowns - Does the newer model have a different version of Logitech Control Center? It did nothing but cripple the mouse when I installed it, which is why I'm using USB Overdrive.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
thatwendigo said:
I've had my MX900 for at least a month, now, and I have no idea what the people who cry about 'lag' are talking about. The mouse feels as responsive as my corded USB optical was, tracks just as precisely (if not better), and the only issue I've ever had with it once USB Overdrive was installed was a loss of connection. I push two buttons, a few seconds pass, and I have my mouse functional once more.

Thanks. Mmm. Still think I'll wait a bit longer and see if the "LAZER" gets a BT option :)

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
aswitcher said:
Thanks. Mmm. Still think I'll wait a bit longer and see if the "LAZER" gets a BT option :)

That was my thought as I held the box in the store. Then I realized that a BT version will still have a charging cradle and need to be connected via USB. I saw no reason to wait.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
thatwendigo said:
Rdowns - Does the newer model have a different version of Logitech Control Center? It did nothing but cripple the mouse when I installed it, which is why I'm using USB Overdrive.

No idea if it's a new version or not. Logitech Control Center 1.3.0 is the version.

:rolleyes:

Just doesn't feel right to have a post from you without the :rolleyes:

:D

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
rdowns said:
That was my thought as I held the box in the store. Then I realized that a BT version will still have a charging cradle and need to be connected via USB. I saw no reason to wait.

Yep, if you use it just at home there is no reason to wait. For me, I would only upgrade my MX700 if they'd bring out a BT with an on/off button. The Lazer mouse as BT would be grealty appreciated by a lot of notebook users.
But Logitech has never been very involved when comes to BT. They only offer 1! out of how many? Oh well, I am still hoping.

thatwendigo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
Sum, Ergo Sum.
rdowns said:
No idea if it's a new version or not. Logitech Control Center 1.3.0 is the version.

I downloaded and installed LCC 1.3.0, actually, and that's the version that not only didn't make the other five buttons work, but actually disabled the mouse itself. I had to unplug it and plug in my Apple mouse just to uninstall the program and restart so that it would be off my system.

Thanks, Logitech. Your hardware's pretty awesome, but your drivers suck worse than listening to Dont Hurt Me.

:rolleyes: (only partially for Rdowns :p)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.