Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bassjunky

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
Texas
A tear-down will be great. I'm curious to see how easy it will be to add our own SSD drive, or even just a 2nd HD. Apple's two-drive option is pretty damn expensive, but I do like that it will support two drives now.

R2D2 xx

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2010
I'm not excited about this update.

1. No MacPro
2. Why can't Apple use Intel's 6-core processor in their iMac? 4-core is old.
3. No new iLife as speculated
4. No new LED display
5. iMac's memory still too expensive.

Hitchophilia

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2010
Lack of USB 3.0 is a deal breaker.

I knew intel wouldn't support it until '11 but there was always hope Apple got in early.

Firewire 800 and USB 2.0 I/O? Jesus, it's a long way to October '11 Apple.

Kristenn

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2009
How are these prices steep? Apple always has the best AIOs money can buy. For $2100 you can get a core i7 @2.8 GHz (Not intel Core 2 Quad!) 4GB DDR3 RAM (not DDR2, DDR3!) and a 500 series ATi with 1GB (over a older gen Nvidia 1GB)

I don't see other companies offering this just yet in AIOs. People need to quit comparing Desktop Tower prices to AIO desktop prices. It doesn't work. Okay, so the sony has a 21 inch TOUCHSCREEN for the same price as the high end iMac but it's 24 inches NOT 27.

I guess nobody will ever be happy =/

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
The SSD + hard drive option is tempting, but I’d only want an Intel X-25 80GB in there for OS and apps, and keep my home folder on the HDD. Too bad Apple’s only option is a $600 256GB SSD. I wonder if the 2.5” bay will be user-accessible after the fact. I don’t like the idea of opening up and operating on an iMac (dust, screen, etc.), but to save $600? I might be convinced.

MacQuest

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2003
You See Dead People...
Wow, i know this wasn't expected to be a major update, but God forbid Apple would come up with a new design! I've been waiting literally six years for a design that wasn't just a computer-in-a-monitor. Another year, another disappointment. Did they fire all the guys who did the iMac G4?

LOL!

Why would Apple change the all in one design that windows pc manufacturers are all just now starting to copy? Sony, Gateway, Acer, MSI, etc.

HP TouchSmart has been out for a couple of years now but is still relatively new compared to the original G5 iMac design from 5+ years ago.

ModestForumName

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2010
oh man. 2.93GHz Westmere processors. I love you apple. standard at 6gb RAM. And the new iMacs getting the whole Core iX treatment. I can't wait to start playing Starcraft II on one of these bad boys and hopefully The Old Republic

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
A lot of us iMac 27" owners are already using SSD drives behind that big pane.

For me, my thing was ram. I'm four gigs beyond my G5's 8 gigs now:

OctoPod.jpg

I still have 4 gigs to go...

I guess for me the things I'll feel a little whiny about is the faster CPU and the better graphics card but I've had this thing for almost a month now so I think it's beyond the point of taking it back and it's been far more Mac than I expected it to be. No problem.

What kind of daily work are you doing with that iMac? Just wondering, that's a lot of RAM.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Apple really doesn't want to use Intel graphics at all. That's why they're all ATI.

I just don't know how I feel about the iMac having i3s across the line except for the top.

REM314

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2009
Canada
The GPU in the top end iMac will have trouble running games at native resolution and with high graphics options. That GPU should be in the 21'' version.

jhende7

macrumors regular
May 19, 2010
I am dissapoint :(

Apple needs to get it's act together with the iMac GPUs. It pisses me off I have to get a bohemeth 27 inch monster just to get the ATI 5750, which is still a mediocre card. If I want a 21.5' I'm stuck with a 5670 at best.

Really wanted to drop the cash on a 21.5" to play SC 2, but the 5670 just won't run that game at 1080P with Ultra settings.

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween
Wow - only i3s - apart from the highest end. I was expecting i5s at least in all.

No Mac Pros.. still.

Are the ATI Radeon HD 5670 any good for games? Did apple up the graphic cards due to Steam?

The 5670 is ATI's midrange offering. It will play anything you throw at it, just not on the highest settings.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ

1. No MacPro
4. No new LED display

1. Yes new MacPro. Try reading.
2. It's an iMac. Who cares.
3. No idea what you're talking about. It's speculated to be released Aug. 7th. is that today?
4. Never any indication otherwise.
5. Get it from crucial like the rest of world.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
Apple needs to get it's act together with the iMac GPUs. It pisses me off I have to get a bohemeth 27 inch monster just to get the ATI 5750, which is still a mediocre card. If I want a 21.5' I'm stuck with a 5670 at best.

Really wanted to drop the cash on a 21.5" to play SC 2, but the 5670 just won't run that game at 1080P with Ultra settings.

What is SC 2 and how old are you? :rolleyes:

iMacs, despite being good at most games, are not for little kids playing mind-wasting computer games.

Aegelward

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2005
UK
To be honest i was hoping them to shift the i5 quad into the base iMac 27"

And have the i7 as the default for the high end.

Not a bad upgrade, but could do better...

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada

1. No MacPro
4. No new LED display

Uh ? MacPro coming August. New LED Display coming soon, iLife was speculated for August and the 6 cores are Xeon processors, not something you want in a consumer machine.

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2005
Minneapolis, MN, USA, Urth
Because

1. No MacPro
4. No new LED display

The 6-core processor is the 32 nanometer Corei7 extreme.
That's a thousand dollar chip right there.
Local Microcenter sells them for $999 a pop.

My machine geekbenches close to the entry level Mac Pro as it is.
Apple will not cannabalize sales on the Mac Pros even if the i7 mac is darn capable.
An i7 extreme iMac 27 would be a wrecking machine.
As it is I often am running with 8-faux cores on the i7 since so much software is multithreaded.
An i7 extreme Imac 27 would be 6 real cores and 6 virtual - amazing performance for a "consumer desktop."

If in the future that chip were to become available cheaply I'd give it a shot in this machine once it goes out of warranty. Why not?

Yes, they are LED displays, they all have been since the last refresh.

Don't buy Apple memory. I expanded my iMac to 12 gigs for around $200 USD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.