Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SSDGUY

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2009
"The new Mac Pro. With up to 12 cores of processing power, it’s the fastest Mac ever.

You're kidding me! The new MacPro is faster than the old one? Wow!

Narrisch

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2010
Too late, too expensive, too slow.
The graphics performance is still a bottle neck. Of course you can buy the special apple customer friendly 2000 euro nvidia cards.
still no blu-ray. just a nice case and a limited operating system.

xBerserker

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2007
Earth .. for now
Well I have a Quad Power Mac G5 so I've been waiting for this upgrade. I'm just doing the lower end Quad. Most intensive thing I do is Final Cut Pro and some Photoshop. No gaming here, that's what my PS3 is for :cool:

Comparing the "last" version to this.

$2499

640GB in the older 1TB in the new ($100 less)

AirPort Extreme Wi-Fi card is included so $50 less for me.

Yes still overpriced but meh.

johnnymg

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
Same here. The improvements over previous models don't justify the price bump, considering it has been one and half year gap.

I'll have to check the price of the 6-core before switching to Windows though.

Yeah, the price on the single 6 core is missing from the press release. Waiting for that # myself.

cheers
JohnG

spacedcadet

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2009
rubbish "update"

Looks like I'm sticking with my trusty G4 MDD windtunnel for another couple of years.

MacFanJeff

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
IL, USA
I can't believe I waited for this...... $5k and

NO SATA3
NO USB 3.0
NO NVidia Cards for 3D work

Bend over and get hosed on the pricing.

I work in 3D and was hoping that the new MacPros would be something worth waiting for. If this is Steveo's version of "Amazing" I'm pretty darn disappointed. Win7 is looking better and better.

I agree with you. That is why I moved on long ago for my 3D art needs. I do still recommend Apple to friends and family that don't use the high-end 3D software I do.

The other questions we still don't know is what are the specs of the SSDs and will they have TRIM support and be as good as the new Vertex 2 drives? I bet not and cost just as much or more. But like I said, at least the mainstream users have something new, just not for people like myself.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
The only thing missing is USB 3.0 and FW 1600.

Nobody was expecting a bluray anyway.

Prices are cheaper than Dell for sure.

momille

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2010
honestly: total crap, im so dissapointed.
i olny moved to apple cause i thought this is a consumer friendly politic, but they let us wait for several month and come up with that kind of crap...
its the new old microsoft what apple became!

steven go ******* urself

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
What a load of crap on the pricing!

Note to Apple: If you are going to expect us to pay such a premium, how about throwing a new case design into the mix. Even automobiles change their exteriors sooner than every 7 years! This is absurd!

Why? Are you expecting the Mac Pro to get faster with a newly designed case?

Fins. :D

Attachments

• Fins.jpg
    Fins.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 426

johnnymg

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
honestly: total crap, im so dissapointed.
i olny moved to apple cause i thought this is a consumer friendly politic, but they let us wait for several month and come up with that kind of crap...
its the new old microsoft what apple became!

steven go ******* urself

One more reason why MR's should limit new members to read-only status for a few months.

JohnG

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
No not a troll, just dutch. I first looked at the US site where it says August, and later the dutch site where it says coming soon. I guess we get a little screwed down here. August still is gonna mean the end of August though..

Oh, sorry mate. that's a bit rubbish!
Actually, just looked and it's the same on the UK site: http://www.apple.com/uk/macpro/

hmmm, so when WILL Europe get them?

Oh and for all the dumb stupid people posting here:
Dell Precision T7500 64bit Dual Processor

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Dual six core Xeon X5670 @2.66ghz with 12mb shared cache
2GB DDR 1066mhz ram
Nvidia 256mb Quadro NVS295
Sata 3GB/s controller
250GB Stata 2 3GB/s hard drive
16X DVD Rom drive (Read Only)

Not sure about the wireless, it doesn't say, but that Dell costs $5059.
So, a Dell that can't even write a CD and costs more then a Mac Pro, is better value?

Linky:

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=555&l=en&oc=MLB1755_64_2&s=biz

R2D2 xx

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2010
Disappointed..... but totally expected. I'm pretty sure i've bought my last Mac desktop. I really wish I didn't have to say that.

Yeah, Apple took so long with this release that i went out and built a custom PC on Win 7 x64.

I'm so glad I did because my custom PC is better than this latest release. What a joke.

Maybe I'll get one of the new iMac's for fun or for my kids.

REM314

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2009
Canada
Base MacPro build:
Quadcore i7 2.8GHz, 5770, 4Gb RAM, No Monitor, 1TB HDD
$2500 notax (Canadian)

My new PC Build:
Quadcore i7 2.8GHz, 5770, 6Gb RAM, No Monitor, 1.5TB HDD
$1550 w/ tax (Canadian)

Damn, OSX isn't worth that much more in the age of Windows 7 sorry.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
You would think that us as apple fans would learn by now. Everytime there is an update to any of their products tons of people whine because apple didn't include brand new tech in them. But yet we still buy them. We should know by now apple won't add a new tech until it is fully matured and is standard in every pc, phone, etc. And even then they won't bend (bluray anyone?) so I dunno why it's so surprising that they didn't include USB3.0 and fw1600. It's rare to even find a hard drive or something that supports it. If it does it's much more expensive then the avg usb2.0 HD.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Base MacPro build:
Quadcore i7 2.8GHz, 5770, 4Gb RAM, No Monitor, 1TB HDD
$2500 notax (Canadian)

My new PC Build:
Quadcore i7 2.8GHz, 5770, 6Gb RAM, No Monitor, 1.5TB HDD
$1550 w/ tax (Canadian)

Damn, OSX isn't worth that much more in the age of Windows 7 sorry.

Wow, you managed to BTO a Mac Pro with a Core i7!!! That's amazing, considering they DON'T SELL IT!!

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Oh, sorry mate. that's a bit rubbish!
Actually, just looked and it's the same on the UK site: http://www.apple.com/uk/macpro/

hmmm, so when WILL Europe get them?

Oh and for all the dumb stupid people posting here:
Dell Precision T7500 64bit Dual Processor

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Dual six core Xeon X5670 @2.66ghz with 12mb shared cache
2GB DDR 1066mhz ram
Nvidia 256mb Quadro NVS295
Sata 3GB/s controller
250GB Stata 2 3GB/s hard drive
16X DVD Rom drive (Read Only)

Not sure about the wireless, it doesn't say, but that Dell costs $5059.
So, a Dell that can't even write a CD and costs more then a Mac Pro, is better value?

Linky:

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=555&l=en&oc=MLB1755_64_2&s=biz

+1. Thats why I laugh every time I hear "Mac Pros are overpriced" They are cheaper then their windows counterparts a good 90% of the time.

My HP workstation at work cost $6500 dollars. The mac equivilent at the time was better (more ram available) and literally half the price.

mrhick01

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2008
Why do the complainers keep attempting to conflate i7 hackintosh builds with the Xeon processors?

The Mac Pro is Apple's professional workstation desktop. Xeon processors and ECC ram are NOT consumer parts. Frankly, Dell's workstations cost MORE than the iterations of the new Mac Pro, and they don't have the aluminum case, quality internals and MacOS X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.