Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tangerine

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2007
I seam to be having a problem with my head phone not working when I plug it int he head phone jack on the Mac Pro. Everytime I try, it either play out of the internal speaker or directly out to my Karmon Soundstick II speaker. I try going to the preferences change sound output but doesn't seam to work? Ok I will try some more testing tomorrow.

hessdesigns

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2006
Why do they do that?? It has been driving me crazy that every time I want to put in headphones, I have to go into system prefs. Couldn't there be a way to switch it automatically, (like on my old PC)?

kered22

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2006
Torrance, CA
Why do they do that?? It has been driving me crazy that every time I want to put in headphones, I have to go into system prefs. Couldn't there be a way to switch it automatically, (like on my old PC)?

I wish there was, that was the way it worked on my G5. I just left my headphones plugged in and when I wanted to hear something through them, I turned my speakers off. I'm not sure why it was changed, it's possible it's just a first version fluke (either hardware of software) like the MacPros Firewire issues.

akadmon

Suspended
Aug 30, 2006
New England
No headphones in Parallels

When I boot Win XP in Parallels, the sound comes out through the external speakers, even when headphones are selected as output in OS X at the time I boot Win XP. Anybody else has the same problem? Is there a fix?

^squirrel^

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2006
England
I'm sure is easy to fix. In Windows XP when i plug the headphones in it defaults to the headphone port.

WHY DOES OSX NOT DO THIS AND WINDOWS DOES?????????

kered22

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2006
Torrance, CA
The headphone jack is the "Built in Output" under Output. If you unplug the headphones, then sound will just come out the built in speaker. You can just play around with the settings to get acclimated with them.

Tirisius

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2007
I thought the same thing too when I got mine. I've found that Rogue Amoebas freebie Soundsource has become indispensable:
http://www.rogueamoeba.com/freebies/

It installs a menubar item that lets you choose all the sound inputs and outputs.

Thank you!!!

My Mac Pro arrived the other day and this has been annoying the crap out of me. This little app is amazingly simple ... it even has a feature to auto-switch to headphones when you plug them in ... just like on my old Powerbook! Thanks SO much for linking the app. It's a life saver.

By the way the Mac Pro is an incredible machine ... simply amazing, I couldn't be happier. Sorry, just wanted to gush a bit.

beige matchbox

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2005
Oxfordshire, UK
AFIK, most PCs only have 1 sound output, so the signal is switched between 2 sockets, one on the rear for speakers, and one on the front for headphones. Certainly all the PCs I've had have been this way :)

Where as on the Mac Pro I have music playing through my speakers connected to the rear socket, have IM audio chat through my headphones connected to the front socket, and have system beeps come through the built in speaker.

I find this to be super useful as it's very easy to distinguish audio from the different sources, i always used to find IM chat was getting lost in my music, or i'd miss system beeps etc.

It would seem the price of this is non auto stitching between the rear output and the front output, but this is purely a decision apple made at some point during MacOS development, if you don't like it you can use Rogue Amoebas SoundSource, but then, you can just leave everything plugged in and use the menu to switch outputs :D

martinlk

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2005
Aalborg, Denmark
I really like the fact that you have to use System Preferences to change the output. This way, I can leave my external speakers always plugged in, while still being able to use the internal speaker when doing everyday work. On my old PC, I had to crawl under my desk and unplug my speakers all the time.

Where as on the Mac Pro I have music playing through my speakers connected to the rear socket, have IM audio chat through my headphones connected to the front socket, and have system beeps come through the built in speaker.

I find this to be super useful as it's very easy to distinguish audio from the different sources, i always used to find IM chat was getting lost in my music, or i'd miss system beeps etc.

You can output different things to different ports at the same time? If yes, how do I do this?

beige matchbox

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2005
Oxfordshire, UK
Depends on the software,

If you go into the iChat prefs theres a menu with the outputs in, same with EyeTV, some games too, such as World Of Warcraft allow you to choose an output device

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    20.8 KB · Views: 305
  • Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    80.3 KB · Views: 272

djejrejk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2007
Uhh...
Just ran into the same issue. The first issues I ran into is that the headphones pop into the jack with some resistance. After I worked that out, I ran into the software issue.

I have RA's Soundsource installed as well, it has a "auto-switch to headphones" setting which seems to fix the issue.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    149.4 KB · Views: 330

oliverj777

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2010
England
Problem With Front Audio Socket - MacPro

I can't seem to get my MacPro to play anything through my headphones (front socket) - it doesn't even see the headphones plugged in ... help!?

--- I just found out why, hahaha! I didn't know that you have to keep pushing the jack until you hear a pop (its a new MacPro, i dnt wanna damage it!!)

ezstreit

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2010
The headphone jack on my 1966 MAC PRO is shot after 5 years of plugging and unplugging headphones and it looks very difficult to access it on the motherboard to fix it. I tried bending the tabs inside the jack with a paper clip without much success. So I am forced to use the line out on the back of the machine and do the SYSTEM PREFERENCES - SOUND - Built in line output routine. I suggest using an adapter to plug into the machines jacks and leaving the adapter in all the time so you are plugging and unplugging from the adapter and not the machines jacks eventually ruining them. I know that this will deactivate the internal speaker but live with it.

Sweetmate

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2010
If you don't want to install SoundSource, you can alt-click on the volume icon in the menu bar, and choose your output and input.

P.S. You can also alt-click the airport and bluetooth menu bar icons for extra options.

irishbunnylover

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2012
Mac Pro headphones jack

I can't seem to get my MacPro to play anything through my headphones (front socket) - it doesn't even see the headphones plugged in ... help!?

--- I just found out why, hahaha! I didn't know that you have to keep pushing the jack until you hear a pop (its a new MacPro, i dnt wanna damage it!!)

Excellent advice! I have been fooling with this for days. I thought I forced it in as far as it would go. That last millimeter on the plug must be in so it's flush. After reading your post, I gripped the handle on the Mac case to force the plug in, and voila! Finally success. I can't thank you enough for posting this!

CityCat

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2013
Got to go into system preferences, click sound and choose the output.

Your the MAN!! Thanx so much- Since 1995 I've been using Windows OS, (Ya I'm Old) Anyhow, I LOVE My MAC! Thanx for all the help your all so nice to offer!:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.