Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

felixxiano

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
I've got an iFrogz case for my iPhone 4. I immediately bought a case protector, but it never fit because it was slightly too large and the case was too tight.
Have you guys been successful finding a case+screen protector climb that won't interfere with each other?
Thanks

jps1012

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
NYC
I've got an iFrogz case for my iPhone 4. I immediately bought a case protector, but it never fit because it was slightly too large and the case was too tight.
Have you guys been successful finding a case+screen protector climb that won't interfere with each other?
Thanks

+1

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2007
I use a bumper and a Speck Geometric, neither of those mess with my screen shield.

pikkashoe

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
Im currently using a belkin clear vue with the switch easy screen protector, no issues with my set up.
Going to get a PS once readily available.

Bootsie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2008
Utah
Wrong, i have the sgp ultra clear and a bumper, and the edges of the screen protector life up due to the bumper.

Ugh! This is very frustrating! I keep getting conflicting reports on this. I have a Phantomskinz Matte Back, and SGP OP front, and I just want to know if it will work with the bumper and Scoshe bandEDGE.

mrknowitall

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2010
Wrong, i have the sgp ultra clear and a bumper, and the edges of the screen protector life up due to the bumper.

What's the ultra clear? I assume you are referring to the Incredible Shield Ultra Coat or the Steinheil Ultra Crystal, but now sure which.

For the record the bumper and Steinheil Ultra Crystal work perfectly without any lifting on my phone and my wife's.

Neoaucourant

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2010
Can anyone confirm that PowerSupport screen protectors will not lift when used with the apple bumper?

sparrky

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2008
California
Ugh! This is very frustrating! I keep getting conflicting reports on this. I have a Phantomskinz Matte Back, and SGP OP front, and I just want to know if it will work with the bumper and Scoshe bandEDGE.

I have the exact same setup, and both the Apple bumper and Scosche bandEdge do not lift them. The eBay knock-off bumpers (the ones with the metal buttons that look exactly like Apple's) DO lift them. But the genuine Apple bumper does not.

rapaleeman

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2010

The ultra clear (the one without the solution stuff you spray on) does not lift due to the bumper unless you put it on wrong. If it is lined up perfectly it won't do that. I used to use one until I switched to the Power Support Anti Glare (don't scratch as easy, I hate fingerprints, and I personally think the PS ones are easier to put on).

Overall the thing to look for isn't which screen protector, but which case won't lift them. Most of the sliders will lift them and so will a few of the snap on covers that actually wrap around the glass on the front.

You should be fine with any silicone case, most Speck cases (Candyshell, Pixelskin HD, etc...), and the Otterbox Commuter. If you have an anti-fingerprint you can also throw it in an Otterbox Defender, the clear ones tend to stick a little more the built-in screen protector on the Defender.

lgreenberg

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2010
Chester Springs, PA
The iFrogz Luxe is notorious for causing the screen shield to bubble up - as are most slider style cases (Incase etc.)

There are a few companies that make smaller screen shields (SGP includes one with their slider I believe) but mostly it's trial and error until you find one that works.

The other option is to avoid slider style case altogether and then it's not usually an issue.

If you prefer sliders I suggest looking at the Case Crown Gilder. It doesn't have an issue with any screen shields because of the way it's designed.

wattsja

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2009

I have the exact same setup, and both the Apple bumper and Scosche bandEdge do not lift them. The eBay knock-off bumpers (the ones with the metal buttons that look exactly like Apple's) DO lift them. But the genuine Apple bumper does not.

I too have the same setup and can confirm that the Phantom Skinz Matte back and SGP OP front shield WILL work with the bumper or [my favorite] the Scosche bandEDGE.

Having said that, it will depend on how straight and centered your front and back protectors were installed.

gnychis

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009
i sanded the iFrogz luxe case down a little bit on the inside and I could fit front and back protector.

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
Apple Bumper + Power Support Anti-Glare
Speck Pixelskin HD + Power Support Anti-Glare
Griffin Reveal + Power Support Anti-Glare
Speck Candyshell + Power Support Anti-Glare

Those are the combos I've tried that work. I'm currently rocking Griffin Reveal + Power Support Anti-Glare :cool:

decx

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2010
Apple Bumper + Power Support Anti-Glare
Speck Pixelskin HD + Power Support Anti-Glare
Griffin Reveal + Power Support Anti-Glare
Speck Candyshell + Power Support Anti-Glare

Those are the combos I've tried that work. I'm currently rocking Griffin Reveal + Power Support Anti-Glare :cool:

Though not from personal experience, I know quite a few people have had problems with the Pixelskin HD in combination with a screen protector. The problem is that the lip of the skin does extend just past the glass edge to where the protector is.

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
Though not from personal experience, I know quite a few people have had problems with the Pixelskin HD in combination with a screen protector. The problem is that the lip of the skin does extend just past the glass edge to where the protector is.

I know there were some problems when Pixelskin attempted to fix the initial Pixelskin problem and then they rectified the issue.

decx

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2010
I know there were some problems when Pixelskin attempted to fix the initial Pixelskin problem and then they rectified the issue.

Those issues were mainly with flash glare, the screen protector issue isn't really a problem as it is inherent in the overall design of the case (even with rev 2). This is somewhat off topic but since you brought up the revision, the rev 2 Pixelskin HD actually had new drawbacks as it used a stiffer TPU material than rev 1, so the buttons were reportedly harder to press.

BearsFan34

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2007
Chicagoland, IL
I got a few packs of the screen protector + "full body protector" (which means a protector for the back) from Monoprice. I think for 5 complete sets (each with a front/back) I paid $9 bucks (US) or $10 or something.

So far the front *AND* back protectors work with both the InCase Clear snap case and the Smoke snap case; same is true with a gunmetal iFrogz LuxeLean iPhone 4 case.

It's overkill, I realize, to use front and back protectors + a case...but for what I paid for simple screen protection, figured I'd go the rest of the way & get the back protector in the event I do want to go caseless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.